Track Lengths vs. Qualifying Times

jp17

Caveman brought up an interesting point in chat the other day that I, at first, dismissed but on closer examination it appears he may be on to something. Based on the qualifying times for three series (Romco, TAMS, TSRS) it would appear that SAS is not the fastest track (average speed) that these series compete on. If the published track lengths are correct then HMS would be the fastest track followed closely by SAS, then THR and finally CC Speedway. Try it yourself at:

http://chasinracin.com/short-track/lapspeed.shtml

JP.. it all depends on what you use for the track length.

SAS is measured at the middle of the track and is a true half-mile. Thunder Hill is 1940 feet around the outside of the track which makes it .367 miles around the outside. Iin other words, THR is a less than 3/8-mile even around the outside. It is more like .33 miles around the middle. Houston is also about .33 mile around the middle and probably about the same length as THR around the outside. CC is a tight quarter-mile, but let's say it is .25 miles around the middle. I am writing to Graham Baker at HMS to see if he has the actual distance from the HMS blueprints.

Using these estimated "center of track" lengths and using ROMCO fast qualifying times in 2003 at all four tracks, I get the following results from the Lap Speed Calculator:

SAS, 18.316, Brandon Bendele, 5/3/03 = 98.275 MPH

HMS, 13.827, Eddy Wallace, 5/24/03 = 85.919 MPH

THR, 14.472, Brandon Bendele, 4/5/03 = 82.090 MPH

CC, 13.494, Greg Davidson, 4/19/03 = 66.696 MPH

Doesn't this look a bit more like what the gear charts and common sense would indicate are the relative speeds obtained at the four tracks we are looking at?

Nick Holt

Nick or JP,

I'm not very familiar with the lap speed calculator. Are those figures estimating average or top speeds?

I ask because I checked a few of the ROMCO cars a couple of years back with a hand-held radar. It was during practice for the first Bigshot race. I was getting 95-105 mph coming down the front stetch at THR.

Chase

Houston is also about .33 mile around the middle and probably about the same length as THR around the outside.

Nick,

I was at the Friday practice for the ASA and attended the drivers meeting. In that meeting they addressed the question of track length and agreed with the advertised length of 3/8's mile. In fact, they said they took the "meter" out and walked "the line" and it was close enough to 3/8's to call it 3/8's... I'll be interested to see what Graham says.

Considering this information - you would recalculate the HMS speed to:

HMS, 13.827, Eddy Wallace, 5/24/03 = 97.64 MPH

Seems like at SAS, romco would be hitting about 120 at the end of the straightaways. Thats what it seems like from the stands anyway. But when Brandon came back to texas at the end of 2000, right before Oktoberfast, we went out there with them and watched em practice from down in the pits and it sure seems alot slower from in the pits then it does in the stands.

Super late models at Five Flags (.5 mile) run low 16's, I-70 (.543) high 16's, and at Bristol (.533) in All Pro Series last year 15.9 with restictor plates, Dick Anderson has record of 15.532/123.5 mph, NASCAR record is 14.9/128 mph, I know they have diff set of rules and specs, but banking on the straights sure makes a difference. I went to the World Cup at I-70 in 2001, and these cars were flying. I think the pay out is $10,000 to the winner, but is same date as October fast, sure would like to see some locals in that event.

Lonestar88,

That's because gear ratio charts and calculators are looking at terminal velocity, not average speed. In other words, you gear for the speed you hope to achieve at the end of the straight, not the average speed around the whole track.

Nick Holt

Bandit,

The thread started out talking about the average speed, rather than top (or terminal) speed. Either way, SAS is the fastest of the four tracks originally discussed in this thread.

Nick Holt

Archived