Leaf spring weight jacks?

RobbinsSr

I saw an old limited late model chassis years ago that had screw jacks built into the front mount of the leafs. I don't know how effective that is because I've never messed with that type of adjustment. Adjustable shackles act as rear weight jacks on leaf springs up to a point.

can you put weight jacks on leaf springs and if so how?

yes we have them on the 7 tps pinto .also the number 1 tps car has them .his jack set up is different than ours .both work out great .we both have slider blocks instead of plain hangers .takes alittle time to make them be.ing a small area to work with ..but they are a plus .

Can you get pretty much the same results from just using front weight jacks?

By using a combination of lowering blocks and adjustable rear shackles you can adjust the rear roll center on a leaf spring car. This is an effective way to chassis tune the rear suspension once the correct rear spring rates have been determined for that car.

But to answer your question, yes, you can obtain handling changes simply by using just the front spring jackers. Unfortunately, the front suspension geometry is also greatly affected when jacking the chassis up or down at the front. It's far better to tune handling by changing spring rates (and/or sway bar rates) than by upsetting the front end geometry by jacking weight around.

Nick Holt

Archived