Texas Pro Sedans Series

Texas Pro Sedans Holds 2006 Awards Dinner

The 2006 Texas Pro Sedans Series annual Awards Dinner was held at Carlos Kelly's Restaurant in San Antonio on Saturday night, November 11.

During the TPS Awards Dinner, the 2006 Texas Pro Sedans Champion Donnie Moore of Hutto, Texas, received his second TPS Champions Plaque. It was presented by the defending TPS Champion Sergio Hexsel. Moore delivered his acceptance remarks in which he sincerely thanked his car owner George Merrell and the #70 crew.

The 2006 Texas Pro Sedans “Rookie of the Year” Joshua Tuttle of San Antonio was presented with the TPS Rookie Plaque by Lloyd Hart, the 2005 TPS “Rookie of the Year” runner-up. Tuttle delivered brief acceptance remarks.

Donnie Moore, Joshua Tuttle and Texas Pro Sedans Race Director Neil Upchurch received embroidered Hoosier racing jackets.

The jackets were sent to the awards dinner by TPS sponsor Tom Lorenz, President of Hoosier Racing Tires Southwest in Dallas.

Several Texas Pro Sedans sponsors, race officials and members received personalized Appreciation Awards. They included the host tracks of TPS races. Nick Holt accepted for San Antonio Speedway. David Mackey accepted for Thunder Hill Raceway. TPS Weight Inspector Bill Jordan received an award for his many years of service to TIDA and later, TPS racing. Lloyd Hart and Larry Willis of Instant Imprints in San Antonio were presented an award for being TPS’s newest major sponsor. George & Mike Merrell received a TPS Sponsor Appreciation Award. TPS Driver Mike Knotts and TPS Web Master Charysse Knotts received an award for their many years of service to the Texas Pro Sedans. TPS sponsors Richard and Bea Villanueva, Nelson Skinner and Tom Lorenz of Hoosier Southwest were also presented with sponsor appreciation awards. Long time TPS driver Jamie Garner was given a retirement award recognizing his long term and faithful participation in TPS races. A scale model TPS race hood was presented by Mike Knotts to Neil Upchurch in behalf of all TPS members.

Texas Pro Sedans Race and Administrative Director, Neil Upchurch presented awards to some recipients and a narrative presentation recalling the 2006, 31st consecutive TPS racing season. TPS Driver, Bruce Mabrito delivered a humorous and clever Texas Pro Sedan 2006 post season ode. MABRITO’ s ode will be posted on www.TexasProSedans.com

Nick Holt represented San Antonio Speedway. He spoke and delivered informative and interesting remarks to the gathering. He favorably commented about the large TPS car counts at SAS during 2006. He re-announced an eight race schedule for the Texas Pro Sedans at San Antonio Speedway during the 2007 racing season.

Davis Mackey represented Thunder Hill Raceway. He spoke and delivered interesting remarks as he discussed past highly competitive TPS races at THR during past racing season.

2007 TPS Rules and Specifications were distributed to all TPS members who attended.

A room full of more than 70 Texas Pro Sedans drivers and their families, crew members, sponsors and TPS officials attended the season ending dinner. The large TPS member participation at the Awards Dinner put a proper finishing touch to the 2006, 31st consecutive TPS season and initiated the 32nd racing season in 2007.

The Texas Pro Sedan race schedule should be finalized and distributed in January.

The first 2007 Texas Pro Sedans race will be held at San Antonio Speedway on Saturday night March 3.

Great Awards dinner Neil. My wife had a great time and it was great to see such support from sponsors, teams, drivers,and fans. I will be a member of this class from now on weather I am driving, officiating, crewing, etc. What a class act. How many series enjoy the payouts, the great races, the car counts and the comraderie........2007 will be the 32nd year (Mike Knotts has raced since the series began and has only missed 3 races,everyone give him an attaboy when you see him) and you watercooled drivers better get ready. I have a confirmed aircooled car count of 7 for 2007, We are coming, the dinosaurs will not become extinct :ph34r: .............get to buiding......Randy

I will be fixing good ole Herb real soon but as I look at all he parts in my shed and the secret frame :ph34r: sitting in the shed ,I am really thinking of building another race bug(man would the wife be mad)but I have seen many new tricks and learned new secrets to make a bug handle,so I am wondering if I build it, could I find a driver for a Larsen Engineering race bug team?Since there are some new multi-bug teams,or maybe build it for someone wanting to join the Pro Sedans and keep the dinosaurs alive.........hummmm............Randy

well lloyd looks like randy could be your team mate next year he has a rwd for you it seems to me that you maybe licking your chops . team mates a scary thought lol hey it might work out .only question is there a female herbie or herbie jr in the makeing .time will tell .7 bugs next year darn .well its off season now and i was going to fix cars but now ill have toget in my lab and start on a new bug spray .

randy was going to put an oil slick down .i quess he decided against it so after unloading at kyle he fixed the leak .i got to thinking if that was his secret weapon he,d been working on in the lab .well he.ll have to try again cuz it started leaking before the car was even unloaded . better luck next time randy .. the bad part is 7 bugs running next year going to be awfull hard to figure out who let the oil out .out out out out out out .

id love to make some laps in herbie also .i suppose you have looked at the chassis on herbie .its well done impressive and johns car also those cars are more tubular than ours .good job . and i believe that herbie is going tobe the car to beat next year after he gets that motor hooked up and a tweak here and there .hue scary .i cant wait to see him get her going .

yes they were alittle bright . id say relief after going bankrupt .lol i was glad he finished just to bad we got in that bad wreck .he could have followed us to the finish or in the case of our wreck we followed him would have been good also .poor john got vp hammerd .THAT STANDS FOR VW AND PINTO . :D

Thanks for all the kind words Mike(oldtimer)and Mark(kiss racing)I truly have worked hard on this car and am very proud of its performance.I have been racing for around 12 yrs with the Pro Sedans and I still have alot to learn,in the past my biggest worry was to just have an engine that would hold together and enough money to get into the track to race,I was never focused on things like low center of gravity,suspension setup,trans gears,and how comfortable I feel in the car,I just wanted to finish.

I feel like this car(Herbie)with some suspension help,the right gears,and me being comfortable in the car is going to be pretty good in 2007,I have alot of work to do to get it to the level of the front runners in the handling department,and I think its about time I start asking people like Nick Holt for help.I have never been a person to sweat the details,and I think it has caught up to me,because the people that run at the front are very meticulous about setup,gears,tire pressures,weights(cross,front to back etc.)I am going to have to pay alot closer attention,and start writing things down.

I have taken alot of (why are you racing an old bug?they are aircooled and can't win,they are not reliable.)over the years,but for me,yes I could get a rabbit,scirrocco,mustang,chevy,etc. and probably do just fine,but these cars (bugs) started the series,have been all I have ever known,and one day when everything falls into place and I am able to cross the finish line first,...............I think everyone that ever questioned me will have a new respect and understanding for "why" .........................Randy

randy i dont know why any one would question why you race a bug .no defferent than you question us on our pick of car . we all know your crazy .and like i said i really think you.ll be real tough to beat next year . and the one great thing is when you do win you will have alot of fans behind you .i for one .ill have the tissue ready i cant swim that good . :D

Archived