Jonny Doyle-RACE CAR DRIVER

NeilTPS

Jonny Doyle - RACE CAR DRIVER

A well known, long time San Antonio race car driver has died. Jonny Doyle will be remembered by the SA area racing community. For more than 25 years he drove hard top modifieds, midgets, sprint cars, super modifieds and an occasional stock car in dirt and asphalt track events across Texas and other parts of America. He had an affection for the midget race cars with Offy engines. For the last several years he was actively engaged in restoring a USAC type midget race car from his past racing days in that series. He raced with a large number of well known drivers ie: Jud Larsen, A.J. Foyt, Mel Kenyon, Bill White, Paul Jett, Lloyd Ruby, Buddy Rackley, Cecil Green, Jimmy Hicks, Sonny McDaniel, Buddy Jerkins, Harry Elbel, Buddy Yantis, Henry Majors, Wade Bedell, Waldo Harper, Marvin Fillips and Eddie Woltersdorf.

Jonny remarked to friends that his finest racing hour was in the fall of 1951 in winning the last race every held at the Storey-Wood Park, half mile (horse track) dirt track located in northwest San Antonio.

After he retired from the cockpit of race cars, Jonny was the track manager at San Antonio Speedway (formerly Hi-Way 16 Raceway) and Texas Dirt Speedway in San Antonio.

Many people in the San Antonio racing community will remember Jonny by the fond farewell statement he would make upon departing company -

"Bless you my son".

The above notes written by - Neil Upchurch who was assisted by Cotton Sherland and Paul Jett

Following is Jonny's complete obituary as it appeared in the October 9th edition of the San Antonio Express-News.

Max W. (Jonny) Doyle, born January 13, 1927 passed away on October 7, 2006 at the age of 79 after a brief, but valiant struggle with pancreatic cancer. Jonny was a retired Midget Sprint car racer and avid racing fan. He proudly served his country as a Sergeant in the United States Army during World War II. He was a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, a 50-year member of the Perfect Union Lodge #10 and a member of the Alzafar Antique Carriage Club donating much of his time through charitable works to each organization. Preceding him in death are parents, Edgar and Elizabeth Doyle, wives Neva and Marjorie and son, Jon. Jonny is survived by his children, Terry and husband Dr. Gerald Kieschnick, Jeff and Glenda Doyle, Jerome and Donna Doyle and Jennifer Doyle; sisters, Lucy, Elizabeth, and Betty; nieces, Rebecca and Susan, nephews, Ken and Chris. His beloved grandchildren and great grandchildren, Angie, Andy, Shawn, Nicole, Jessilyn, Ryan, Neva, Kolby, Kayla and Jayden, also survive him. The family would like to express their heartfelt gratitude to Terry and Barbara Taylor for their unwavering love, kindness and tender care of our father during his illness and to everyone for their warmth and concern. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Vitas Hospice, who provided compassionate support to us all. Big Jon's laughter, friendship and love will be deeply missed. A viewing will be held on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 from 4:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. at Roy Akers Funeral Chapel, 515 N. Main Ave. Graveside services will be held on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 at 1:45 p.m. at Fort Sam Houston Cemetery.

• 1 month later...

I was deeply saddened to hear of Jonny's passing, but was unable to post anything at the time. Jonny truely was one of those real heros of my youth. I watched him race on so many nights. I was a real fan of his. I hope to post a photo of him on here soon.

R.I.P. Jonny.

Archived