Octoberfast

ACE44

Thunderhill hobby stock rules

14.) WEIGHT

a.) The minimum weight of the car with the driver in the seat is 3,400 pounds.

b.) The maximum left side weight is 55% of the total car weight with the driver.

.) CARBURETOR

1.) A box stock Holly Model 4412 - 500 CFM or the box stock 350 CFM Model 7448 carburetor is allowed

3.) A carburetor spacer of not more than 1.250-inch, including gaskets, is allowed for as spacing between the carburetor base and the manifold surface. The holes in the spacer must be the same dimensions from top to bottom of opening (no tapered hole spacers.)

Now for Octoberfast

We have to weigh 3450 , this would be a 50 # penalty the way I see it .

The sas cars can also run the 500 carb for this race and only weigh 3375 hmmm, as well as the corpus cars .

Any idea why this is ??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year they were on a 7 inch slick tire.. i guess this year its 8 inch slick... i remember THR cars last year had a 50 lb weight (challenge) not 100% sure if RR's had the break...

Normal rule gaps

WB---- THR-- 112 SAS --108

Springs----- THR-- Any Spring Rate (spacers same L to R) SAS --Any Rate must be same L to R (No spacers)

Swaybar ---- THR--- Spacer Same L to R SAS ---Bushing spacer tube no more than 1" diff L to R

Weight THR-- 3400 SAS-- 3400

Vacuum -- THR-- None SAS--- 16 inches at Intake

Intake-- THR--Stock GM SAS Edlebrock Performer #2101

Maybe Rick will come on here and explain the reason for the Weight breaks.. :D

ACE44 Posted on Sep 18 2006, 01:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that and the spring spacers dont have to be the same

Just got off the phone with jack.. he confirms Springs and spacers must be the same height Left to Right in the car. the individual Spring can have a different spring rate.

SHOW ME .........

7.) SUSPENSION

a.) FRONT

1.) Each UPPER CONTROL ARM must be a factory stock control arm and in the factory installed position and on the stock mounts, except that spacers may be used to adjust the wheel camber and castor. Modification or bracing/reinforcing of either upper control arm is NOT allowed.

2.) Each LOWER CONTROL ARM must be a factory stock control arm and mounted in the factory stock position on the front clip/frame. Modification or bracing/reinforcing the lower control arms is NOT allowed.

3.) If factory stock or OEM springs are used they must be the factory height. A height difference between the two springs of 1/2 inch will be allowed.

4.) A left to right height tolerance of 1/2-inch will be allowed.

5.) The front springs must be mounted in the factory stock mountings, without modification to the mount.

6.) Any racing spring is allowed but they must be identical between the left and right. No tolerance is allowed.

7.) Front weight jacks are NOT allowed in the Hobby Stock Class.

8.) Spring spacers on top of the spring, or the bottom of the spring are allowed.

9.) Spring rubbers may be used. All other existing suspension rules still apply for 2003.

10.) Metal control arm bushings are allowed.

11.) The camber and caster may be changed.

12.) The stabilizer bar must have all of the factory stock link parts. All of the parts must be installed in and maintain an original factory configuration, including the same height right to left side, and all bolts tight.

13.) Adjustable spring spacers are not allowed.

6.) Any racing spring is allowed but they must be identical between the left and right. No tolerance is allowed.

8.) Spring spacers on top of the spring, or the bottom of the spring are allowed.

9.) Spring rubbers may be used. All other existing suspension rules still apply for 2003.

and also according to the high tech 4 page rule book for hobby stock the wording on the racing springs is you cant have different rates and must be identicall l 2 r spacers are allowed nothing about side to side same for both and rubbers may be used so just use rubbers but hey they will probably be in affect after 2003 oh wait hell we are coming up on 04 right good thing they read these things every year huh and i know jacks response to this will be all you have to do is call me i am available anytime well just write the rules i dont have a problem with a 20 page rule book or hell even a 120 page rule book just make it so there is no question kiss isnt good enough with most people you have to spell it out

well.. in two different phone calls with jack he stated the hobby rule as follows

Spring rates can be different, however Spring height must be the same..

Spring Spacers must be the same left to Right.. Front to rear can be different.

Thats jacks verbal clairification of the rule.. and the rule i have raced by all year.

Maybe i am on the special bus but i know i won't get the DQ that way.

well.. in two different phone calls with jack he stated the hobby rule as follows

Spring rates can be different, however Spring height must be the same..

Spring Spacers must be the same left to Right.. Front to rear can be different.

Thats jacks verbal clairification of the rule.. and the rule i have raced by all year.

Maybe i am on the special bus but i know i won't get the DQ that way.

The only thing made clear by this thread is that the rules might need a little clarifying by next year. #6 in the list posted by ACE44 clearly says that the springs must be identical from one side to the other. Does this mean identical rate, identical height, or both? One other rule says that there is a 1/2" height tolerance allowed, but it's not real clear if that refers to the spring or spring/spacer combo. I agree that if I weren't sure, I'd call Jack. However, it's much less controversial to be able to point to the black and white print and find something that needs very little interpretation. You might think you are clear on a rule and find out later (in the tech garage) that you weren't so clear after all.

plus, what happens if jack decides to leave thr and go to another track.......the whole time you have been going by what he has told you because he is the man, well when someone else comes in that maybe didnt know what he had said, he may interpret the rules a little different........at least if it is in black and white, no matter who is running the show there will be no problems.............jmo

guy's i'm not sure what the diff is between a rr and a hobby but one thing i do know is that every octoberfast and every time a thunder hill car comes to race with us they are so much faster, cody smith won every time he showed up and ya'll have dominated each post season race the past few years, as a matter of fact some of ya'll were faster than a few sportsman.

The Hobby Stock and Roadrunner rules appear to be virtually identical except for the vacuum rule and carburetor rule and a few non-significant items. In years past, the THR cars were on a better tire and had other advantages like racing shocks and springs that the SAS cars did not have. Given the changes to the SAS RR rules this year, I think ACE may have a point here. It looks like a heads-up or as-is race might be pretty fair. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the vacuum rule might justify the weight penalty.

guy's i'm not sure what the diff is between a rr and a hobby but one thing i do know is that every octoberfast and every time a thunder hill car comes to race with us they are so much faster, cody smith won every time he showed up and ya'll have dominated each post season race the past few years, as a matter of fact some of ya'll were faster than a few sportsman.

the difference is the cam rule

Also the wheel base rules are different... RR's allow 108" wheel base HS's allow minimum of 110" wheel base... Basically meaning no metric HS cars, like cutlas's, monte carlos's or Regal's.... I dont know how much of an advantage if any that is but thought I would point that out as well...

Archived