COPYRIGHT LAW

Budman

They say about FREE Legal advise ..................... its worth just about what you pay for it.

Having said that, I have to admit I don't know beans about Copyright Law. Legally, what can be posted on a site like this, and what can't be? I think that's a valid topic for discussion on here. What do you know about it?.......or what do you think you know about it? I'd like to hear from you.

Buddy

Im not sure but I understand that if you post something that belongs to someone else you have to get their permission unless it has already been posted somewhere else and you site where you got it and who it belongs to. Im sure there is more to it than that but thats what Ive been told. Maybe Nick knows something about this? What say you Nick?

First off, I too am not a lawyer nor am I an expert on copyright laws, although I did work for a major metropoliatan newspaper for several years and have a basic knowledge of how things work. And I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express some time ago. Does that qualify me to speak on this subject? LOL

For sure, anything that says "copyright" or has that little "c" enclosed in a circle means that you can't use it without permission from the owner of the work. That usually includes pictures and stories (reports, etc) that are so labeled. Most books, newspapers, and some websites copyright their materials.

Other sources of information, photos, ect, may say something like "use only with permission of the author (photographer, inventor, etc)." Again, you can only use that stuff with permission.

TXSZ requests that all information that is posted here be given proper credit to the author, photographer or artist. Our regular contributors (JM Hallas, etc) always provide credit whenever they use material from another source. You will note that most of our posts in the Announcements and Results sections of the forums credit the author or source.

It is just plain common sense to ask permission before using anything lifted from another website, even if the website does not have a copyright notice.

Look at the bottom of the front TXSZ page and you will see a copyright mark. That means that anything published on TXSZ cannot be copied and used anywhere else without permission.

Hope this answers at least part of your question.

Nick Holt

Buddy

Im not sure but I understand that if you post something that belongs to someone else you have to get their permission unless it has already been posted somewhere else and you site where you got it and who it belongs to. Im sure there is more to it than that but thats what Ive been told. Maybe Nick knows something about this? What say you Nick?

Not related to this subject, but...

At the bottom of the above quoted post, in the signature spot, I'm getting what appears to be an ad. It gives my IP #, my ISP name, tells me I am running Windows XP and using IE6, after which it says, Get your own sign at Danasoft.com.

This may be legal, but is it OK for this forum? Just curious if anybody else is seeing what I'm seeing. I've never come across anything like this before.

Papa could explain it better than I.  What I understand is everybody sees it that sees his post, but you only see your own information.  I don't see yours and you don't see mine.  Nothing too diabolical I don't think.  Just alarming the first time you see it.

I know everyone doesn't see what I see, but I just think it's a little sneaky, and I would be upset if my ISP were doing something like that. The little message at the end changes everytime I bring it up. The last time it said, "The Hell with the rules!" at the end. Pretty much speaks for itself.

I see the same thing with at least one of the other posters.

• 1 year later...
First off, I too am not a lawyer nor am I an expert on copyright laws, although I did work for a major metropoliatan newspaper for several years and have a basic knowledge of how things work. And I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express some time ago. Does that qualify me to speak on this subject? LOL

For sure, anything that says "copyright" or has that little "c" enclosed in a circle means that you can't use it without permission from the owner of the work. That usually includes pictures and stories (reports, etc) that are so labeled. Most books, newspapers, and some websites copyright their materials.

Actually, every photograph is automatically copyrighted. It's a record of history. It doesn't have to have thelittle c that's circled. I say now, any photograph with "Raceway Photos" on the back belongs to me and I give permission to anyone who wants to use it can, except, for advertisement purposes. If anyone wnats a copy of the photograph, the number on the back is the number to order that picture. The address has changed though. I can be contacted at: mbat830123@aol.com for more information on pictures. This is not an advertisement. It's so someone can get pictures of the past.

According to the Berne Convention which is widely accepted around the world. Anything produced by an author whether written, created (art) or photographed is automatically copyrighted through the life of the author without indicating copyright status. This is legal binding but you might consider putting the copyright symbol and useage instructions on everything because this is like a patent where enforcement is in the hands of the holder. So you'll need financial resources to sue people who use your work. If you clearly indicate copyright instructions with the work the legal process is quick but if there is any gray area the lawyers are very good to draw things out and cost you lots of money.

There is a lot of info about copyrighting and there are classes about it you can take too.

Archived