hooter pro cup

racerboy2002

tonight there was a small story about a guy that was from san antonio and he raced street stocks yrs agoa nad he was a hot shoe when he raced. just curious if anyone else saw that race on speed and heard the same storry i did. i didnt get the guys name, though.

Brian Ross and I participated in the Street Stock World Classic at Crawford County Speedway in Van Buren, Arkansas in early August 1983. That race paid $10,000 to win. I think he finished about 6th in that race. About 185 cars showed up to make that race. That year, I was leading the Street Stock points at SAS when I gave it up to make that big money race.

Later that year, he came down to San Antonio Speedway for the October Texas Classic 100. He won that race that paid $5000 to win. His car only used 3 wheel brakes. With a locked rear end, he did away with the extra weight of a right-rear rotor & brake caliper. That was just one of his "tricks" that he had on that "street stock" car. I remember the SAS tech man trying to DQ him for that. His "street stock" car was running about 60% left side weight at a time when most of our street stocks could not get that much. There was no left side rule then.

Larry Bendele

Ya Brian was from Indiana, he raced at one of the tracks that our team occasionaly raced in Plymouth. He was always fast up there too. The only guys that could hang with him were Doug Hannah(who's son just started in ASA) and Denny Nyari. Damn all this making me homesick! :( The next Hooters cup race televised is from Illiana Speedway, which was about 20 minutes from my house. QUICK, someone give me a tissue!!! LOL

So much for the good ole days,SAS had more cars than ever back then,I remember we would start30 cars in street stock feature alone pretty regularly,about the same in Superstock,Late models were pretty limited,but had a pretty good count every now and then,for one of the big shows we did start 43 late models and ran out of speedy dry 1/2 way thru the feature,not sure if this was the same night,but they ran out of beer in the stands too. One of the races we had 75 superstocks,but that was a big race.This was when Austin ran Friday nights.

I remember in the mid to late 80's Gene Couch(sp) and I were complaining about having to start 32nd and 33rd in a thirty lap main when they were completly inverting the field by points and racing was fun too.

Archived