Multi-Billion $$$ Nascar TV Contract

HOUSTONLM04

Well statistics are statistics but it sure seems like you only get to watch about 6 laps before they cut to commercials again. I had a hard time sitting down to watch it because it seemed like everytime I started to get into it they cut to commercial. I just turned the volume up and went about my day listening to it whenever it was on.

I think the difference is just in bad timing on the part of NBC and TNT. Seems like when they come back from commercial breaks, something happened on the track, either a lead change or 'the big wreck' or something to that effect. It's just not the same watching the replays as it is actually seeing the event as it happens and most of the time they don't replay the lead changes we miss. I just don't think NBC and TNT are actual race fans. Maybe they should hire some of us as consultants :D

I think FOX should cover the races the whole season. Ol' DW and Larry Mac are pretty good commentators if you ask me, they sure do a lot better job than Allen Bestwick, Dallenbach and Parsons. I'm not bashing the NBC guys or anything but Allen Bestwick has never even been in a racecar, so how would he have a clue about it, Dallenbach cant keep a ride so thats why he is up in the booth. Parsons is okay. Shoot, at Loudon a few weeks ago, they got to talking about HOCKEY :o during the middle of the race!! Give the whole season to fox.

I've got some prime vertical real estate in Colorado for sale, if you believe this. What a crock!!! If this is the case, why is it that when I taped a race and edited out the commercials, that a race lasting 2 hours and thirty minutes only used 1 hour and 20 minutes of tape. True this was a Busch race, but is this some kind of new math or am I just missing something?? LOL

Hey Hoosier, whats wrong with Hockey? A true Hoosier would understand a Hockey reference. LMAO

Hoosier,

I totally agree with you--FOX should do the entire season (altho they'd better get a promise from DW to NOT sing at EVERY race!)...however, reality dictates that FOX has the NFC Football contract, so they can never televise an entire NASCAR season!

However, if maybe FOX farmed out the 2nd half of the NASCAR season to someone, that would STILL be better then televising NASCAR on NBC (which stands for the "No Brains Company").. B):lol::)

As for NBC/TNT and their "timing" on commercials...it's ludicrous! I have to agree with daffy--they need to hire us as consultants...they can then hire Rebel for gardening tips as well! :D:D

Here's about the ONLY excerpt that I agree with from the article:

Additionally, the data shows that the commercial load in 2003 on NBC and TNT is slightly higher than the amount of commercials on FOX and FX in the first half of the 2003 season. The FOX networks averaged 14:43 of commercial time during their portion of the schedule, while NBC/TNT is averaging 15:12 of commercial time through the Brickyard 400, an amount that is 29 seconds higher than FOX/FX.

Basically they're saying that NBC runs an additional 30-second spot on their broadcasts...it sure seems like a lot more than that, compared to a FOX broadcast!! :ph34r:

Several have made the point that it isn't the number of commercials, it's the timing. Fox does seem to have a better handle on when to go to commercial than does NBC.

But this is a problem we've had for years. The people with enough time on the job to be producers and, especially, directors, in TV don't know beans about motorsports. When every race fan is watching Bill Elliott work over Rusty Wallace at Indy, setting him up for a pass, the director sees nothing happening and elects to go to commercial.

Maybe he misses the pass, maybe he doesn't, but either way, he didn't have a clue what was going on.

I think the Fox directors must take some of their cues from the "talent," the guys in the booth. Their conversation lets a sharp director know what's about to happen, even if the director doesn't know much about motorsports.

Careful there HoosierDaddy, this ol' Yankee and Hoosier may have write about you sometime. LMAO :lol:;):D

Consider the Hockey concept for a second; guys on razor sharp skates, carrying sticks, and hurling vulcanized rubber projectiles at 100MPH. And what about the parallels, oil on the track---blood on the ice, fight on the ice--fights in the pits. Sure beats golf, tennis, etc. when it comes to real sports. LOL

Please take this in the FUN vien it was written. :)

Please take this in the FUN vien it was written. :)

Hey Reb..

I think he would take it in fun, if you had spelled "vein" right! :P

LOL

fishing on tv will be next except for that guy that used to be on tnn that Fish Fishburn guy he made fishing fun.....on tv anyway

You can add:

The X games--You can see idiots maimimg themselves on skateboards at any drain culvert or concrete stairway in town. Some of these guys are one fall from getting coloring books at Christmas for the rest of their life.

Billiards--I like to shoot pool as much as anyone, but watching it??

World series of poker--See "Billiards"

Bowling--I've won and lost my share of beer frames, but it's boring on TV.

But it could be worse. I've spent about 6 or 7 years on 4 different occasions living in the Far East, and we had International ESPN over there. You get to watch the always exciting game of "Cricket" (I will not try to describe it) for about a 4 month stretch, and as soon as you have had your fill of that, they start another couple months of "World Championship Badminton." Now there's something to look forward to.

Well rested--I don't know!LOL

At that period of my life, I didn't watch too much TV. Fortunately I had some good friends to hang out with. Mr. Cuervo, Mr. Beam, Mr. Daniels...........

As for now, I help two different travelling teams; as for TV, if it wasn't for Speed Channel, it would be about useless. 200 channels and nothing on!

Chuck..What happened to the I before E except after C rule???? LMAO

Reb,

I have no idea---it must be that "New English" that they're teaching our kids..

Note to all: My MZone Show co-host, Ric, nicknamed Jay Hallas "The Gardener" on the show yesterday..I think it's VERY appropriate...Jay not only has past experinece in gardening, but also races "in the dirt,: which you could say he also "plants in the dirt."

All Hail "The Gardener," Mr. Jay Hallas!!

;):D:ph34r::)<_<:DB)

Archived