Modifieds at CC Speedway

txtom

About 26 Modifieds were at CC Speedway Saturday night. An oil pump problem in practice put #81 David Machen on the trailer, and Casey Smith spent the afternoon fixing valvetrain problems in the Kenny Stone #31.

24 cars made qualifying attempts, and #15 Chris Davidson came out on top with a 14.20. #77 Jason Ray had another strong run to qualify 2nd at a 14.29. I think both of these times bettered the old track record. #46 Joey Heinaman and #48 Chris Swenson ran in the 14.30's to end up 3rd and 4th, and #41 John Heinaman ran a 14.56 for 5th. Rounding out the top 10 were #18 Bruce Beddoe, #20 Matt Gardner, #8 Barry Codling, #14 James Cole, and #87 Lawrence Mikulencak. 31 makes repairs and starts 25th.

Trouble before the green flag has 14 in the pits, along with #22 James Austin. Lap two, caution flies for 48 with a flat. Racing again, 46 makes a move around 77, and goes after 15. 14 rejoins the race.Caution again around lap 14 after 14 and 15 make contact. Restart, and 15 leads, followed by 46, 77, 41, 18, 20, 8, 87, #35 Eddy Ross, #74 Austin Carter, #5 Jerry Schild, and 31. Smith is fast from the rear of the field.

A couple laps later, about lap16, #07 Lupe Gomez spins, bunching up the field. 22 pits, and 14 goes silent again and to the pits. Found out later 14 has fuel pickup problems. Restart and 15, 46, and 77 do a 3 car breakaway from the pack, with 41 leading the second group. A few more laps, caution again for #47 (name?) and 48 getting together in two. #44 Keith Sandefur pits for a flat and returns.

Just shy of halfway, and 15 leads, followed by 46, 77, 41, 18, 20, 8, 87, 35, 74, 5, and #99 Kris Rye. 15, 46, and 77 are running a torrid pace through the lapped traffic, until about lap 30, when 99 blows and engine and spins in one. 44 is caught up in the fluid, no real damage. 87 pits and returns from a flat. When racing resumes, 77 starts falling back with a flat left front, and a few laps later, 46 is losing a left front also. Both will retire to the infield after great races. The race calms down somewhat, and at the finish, the order is 15, 41, 18, 20, 35, 74, 31, 5, 87, 44, and #38 David Schury.

I think this is correct, and I think all were on the lead lap.

It ain't over yet. In post-race tech, 15 is found to have aluminum wheel hubs, and is disqualified. John Heinaman gets the victory, followed by Beddoe and the rest.

Overall, the race was pretty good; the green flag pace was fast, and the leaders worked with each other in lapped traffic.

I was writing notes on all this, and as quick as stuff was happening, some of it may be a little off. The results I posted aren't official, but they should be close.

Don't know if they also took away 15's quick time. If they did, 77 Jason Ray may be the new track record holder at a 14.29. The previous record was by John Heinaman at a 14.29, so it comes down to the third decimal.

Take a break, I doubt it. Both cars I pit for will be there, as well as a TSRS car we help out when we can.

Rebel-if you get there, come see me at TAMS 81, or ROMCO 55. We can share getting old stories!

Ya'll did all the work, Keith. Nice run, even with a flat.

I was kinda surprised at all the flats out there, musta had another monster-truck car crushing fest there in the last week!

We should be ready for San Antonio. David got the clutch in pretty quick after the pump locked up; Mac is gonna tear it down and check the bearings, won't take too long.

I'm thinking about going to New Orleans and finding a voo-doo lady who can exorcise these demons we dealing with. If I find one, I'm gonna put in a good word for Jason Ray and James Cole--they are suffering from the same bad luck we are having!

Nick- If someone would pay me within 10% of what I make now, I'd wipe out a forest of trees reporting about racing. But until that happens....

Smith did not make a qualifying run. In the first practice, he broke 4 rocker arms, and they spent the rest of practice and qualifying rounding up parts. They traced the problem to pushrods that were too short, thus the valvetrain geometry was off. I don't know who the engine builder is/was, but that is about as basic a check there is in a race engine.

Casey had old friend Glenn Schwabe in the pits helping him, he found the problem and patched the thing together.

Casey started scratch on the field,(25th) and was very quick from the rear, considering he had never run either a modified or Corpus. He passed people wherever he caught them, and stayed away from the trouble.

If he runs that car in San Antonio, he will be a contender.

I heard there were some changes at CCSpeedway on Saturday night. I would like to thank Carol, Donnie, and Mike for the change. I was not able to attend but I think I may be going there more often. I am glad to hear this.

Jason

I had to laugh when I saw 14.23 on American Racers. I'd even like to have seen the 14.98--they must have put resin on the track first or the surface must have been much better back then. Even the 14.20 was with an illegal car, so in my book the record still stands at 14.29 held jointly by John Heinaman and Jason Ray.

Guest Justaracefan

When you said Glenn Schwabe was in the pits with Casey is that the Schwabe that has been some of the picks on Texas Speed Zone as one of the best late model racers of the past? I think I met him once in Kyle working on Casey's Legends and someone told me he use to race.

Justaracefan--

That is the same Schwabe that has helped Casey since his Legend car days.

He ran mostly in the 70's at Pan-Am and Austin in his own cars and at Hwy 16 in Waldo Harper's car.

Hray the 14.98 is a true story, it was done in the car that Larry Smith owns now. Everyone was putting new American racers on to try to go fast but Dwayne Slight put tires on that were slick, i mean they were completly worn out with very little if any tread. Ask Lawrence Mikulencak he will verify that.

Champ what Jason is talkin about is the regualr classes at CC Speedway usaly beat the heck out of eachother and last weekend when TAMS was there they black flagged lots of the regular class drivers in the Super Street class or whatever they call it down there I forgot.

They basically parked Carlucci Jr. and he received no points for the night because of his driving. I am glad this site does some good. :) Again I would like to thank Carol, Donnie, and Mike for these changes.

Jason

I wasnt able to make it this weekend since my mother was ill and passed away this weekend, but I am all for making the right decision. If in fact Jr was driving rough, then so be it. But since I wasnt there and dont know the details I will refrain from giving an opinion on that particular matter.

Archived