Mini stock question

deereman

Deerman,if your a Gator car you are probably geared too low.Most of the Fords at Gator run a 7.8 to 8.0 gear with the dirt bosses.They are 23" tall.i RAN A 7.13 AT gATOR LAST YEAR AND WILL USE A 6.8 THIS YEAR.i USE A 6.8 AT sts WITH 23" TALL STREET TIRES BUT CAN ALSO USE 71" TIRES AS WELL TO GET TO 8000 RPM.Maybe Timmy or EJ can help with a gear for STS for a Ford.Any you guys comming down?Its a great track,bigger than Gator but similar surface grip.Only 4 hours from Houston,I drive 3 hours every weekend.

Hey Ford12,

Thanks for the info.if i add right you are turning a 6.59 on 13in tires,2.14 tranny,and 3.08 rear gear and turning 8000 rpms.If I am correct I run a 2.14 tranny 8in ford rearend w/ 300 gear on 13in hoosiers then I should be close to what I need for sts.Motor is definatly not a problem-got plenty there.Reply back about my ratios or what i need to do.The next rear gear i can go to would be a 325 rear gear..Deereman

Hey G.B,

Thanks for the reply.You are right we are runnin a 2.14 tranny,380 rear gear on a 8in rearend,and 13in hoosier dirt bosses at gator.The only problem I have is the 8in ford rearends dont have alot of different gear choices so im kinda stuck in the middle.It sounds like sts is a big 3/8 mile track w/ banking like gator.Does it have tight turns or is is like gator turns.Thanks a ton for the help and info all you guys.

Yes I want to come down and bring both my sons and race at sts if I can before the year is over.Heard alot about Owen Pittman and the way he runs a track and would like to see for myself a great run track because as you know we are not that fortunate at gator to have a promotor like Owen who cares about the racers like Owen does.

P.S. By the way word has it that Conroe Pipe will not sponsor the Halloween race this year due to the way it was run last year.So we may not have a big ministock race for the end of the year to run at gator.

Once again thanks to all the ministock guys at sts for the info.Sounds like you guys are like family as we are at gator in the ministock class.

Deereman,

We made the 7 hour trip from Fort Worth area this weekend to STS. We had a blast!

The track is run really well. Once one race finishes, the next one is sent out. You come off turn 4 and the green flag drops. No, running several laps waiting on people to bunch up. I liked it.

The group of guys we met were all very nice. They were fun to run with.

We had to change our tires back to the Cooper Cobra street tires, because they don't allow Dirt Bosses or American Racer (cheater DOT tires). So, that would be the only problem you might have with running there this year. We definitely needed a bigger tire, but that was all we had to run there legal.

Nice track. Nice group of people controlling the show and nice group of guys in the class.

Deerman,the good part about street tires is they are cheap and you can get different sizes from a 71" Sumotomo to a 74" Cooper,Goodyear etc.I know there are many used tire shops around Houston where you can find a varity.The surface is abrasive enough to grip with about any tire.The person who finished 2nd in modifieds was running a 4 year old RR tire from my old modified so the tire thing is not a problem,just an inconvience.I was sorry to hear about the Gator race.I was planning to go again.They did have some problems like lap counters,I finished 5th but get counted 14th.500$ for 14th was still good but the 800$ for 5th would be better.Maybe if you can get some Houston cars and Lyle and Karen can get some Dallas cars Owen might do something for a finalie race.You need to try STS first to get to know it.Comeon now,Houston aint that far. G.B.

The Sumotomo tire is a 215/50/13,HTR 200.It is only 71# rollout so you need a taller gear than a Dirt Boss that is 73# tall.STS is bigger than Gator with sweeping turns.Neon Will wasd using 74" tires with his 6.9 gear and I used a 6.8 with 74" tires to get 7400 rpm.It doesnt do me any good to run 8000,my head is not ported and falls flat after 7600.The Sumotomos get me to 8000 at the end of the straight.You need somewhere between a 6.5 and a 7.0 for the sumotomos.A 25" tire would probably work with your gear if you like rpm.Maybe a 15" wheel/tire combo.Some cars are running 16s.This track would really like a large tire with low air as it is washboard rough on the surface.A harder compound is needed like a hard dirt boss.Aluminum wheels are allowed so maybe some late model stock wheels with a 4 1/2 bolt pattern will work.Many later cars use those in that pattern.Thats what I would do if I didnt want to change gears,get a set of 15 inch like 215/60 15 anybrand not over 7 1/4 treadwidth.Or put the 3.06 gear and use the sumos. G.B.

G.B.,

The gear choices that I have and the only ones that come with the ford 8in are--300 or 325 for the bigger tracks.Oh I forgot to tell yall that one of my cars is a 78 pinto with a stock hatchback body.Some of yall might remember this car from Texas Thunder Speedway in Killeen it was the track champion car 3 years in a row driven by Shad Stevens.The other car I have is a 78 pinto car with the pinto front clip and tube from the back of the drivers seat to the back of the car-this car has a late model body on it with a nose peice and spoiler on back.The pinto with the stock body weighs 2115 after the feature with the driver in it on the scales.The pinto with the late model body on it weighs 2380 with the driver after the feature.Once again guys thanks for all the help and keep the advice commin.deereman

I would like to stay with the 13in wheels if I can and if I can be competitive because I already have lots of 13in wheels.Knowing that I will probably have to stay with the 13in tires then what sumamoto tire would fit me best.If this helps any I have been running the 205 hoosiers on the left side and the 215 hoosiers on the right side.Hope this info helpsyou guys tell me what sumamoto to run.

deereman

P.S. Thanks to all the STS mini stock guys for helping with this info.

Also do you guys all park next to each other in the pits or does everybody just park wherever

With the 3.0 diff and 2.14 trans you have a 6.42 and the 3.09 diff gives 6.9.Eather one will work with the 215/50/13 somotomos HTR 200 like they sell at the Tire Rack or Sears.Its has the max tread and holds up well.Stagger is the problem but tire pressure will change rollout on a radial under load regardless of what some say.The only other 13" ia a 205/60 but is much narrorer.Go with the 3.09 for 8000 RPM or more and the 3.00 for 7500.The sumos will last a long time and are even used on the asphalt track down the street.They are 71" rollout.Now you got it..You can mount them on an 8" rim with no problems.getterdone G.B.

Hey G.B.

I thanks you for all the help and look forward to comming down one weekend

on another note G.B.---I talked to Mike Gallion today and was telling him I had been talking to you guys about comming down and running at sts.He said that he thought they might not let us run down there.I looked at your rules and the only thing I see in your rules that may be different but dont know if it matters is we run 500cfm carberators.We weigh 2115 and 2380.thanks again for the help.deereman

Hey Eddie, we were told as long as we abided by the tire rule, we could run at least once with them. I'm sure they won't have a problem with you hauling your two guys down there. You need to get Mike and the other guys to haul down there with you one weekend. You'll have a blast!

OT,if you need something for Sat ask Rick or Will.They might have some pulloffs to loan or sell.The 15 car is using my pulloffs.The tire rack gets them to me in 3 days.Probably 2 to Houston.Dman,call Owen to get any specifics you might need to make your trip.Neather track is hare splitting rules and keeping people out.Im sure Owen will be glad to work with you.Maybe we can get something special for Nov.Owens number is scattered around in different posts and he will answer or call back.Bring Mike and Chris too.I would really love to see that bad fast VW air cooled run here too.It would be more difficult to fit him in with the dual carbs and methanol but what a ride.I think Chris and EJ would get along real good,their both fast and Ford and young.Mader,you got plenty cars in your stable,how bout racing some.getterdone. :lol:

Archived