Help with a 5.0L in Cougar

kn1ghtblade

I go to pick up my cougar today or tomorrow that I am makeing a Grandstock out of... It has a 5.0 302... Only thing I know for sure is the guy giving me car says it had carb probs.... It somewhere betweem a 91 and 95 model since those are the only models with the wheel base it has and available 5.0... Wouldnt that engine be a throttle boddy and not a carb???? Also where is a good place to start trouble shooting this thing at??? Its been sitting in a feild for almost a year now... I am mainly a chevy guy and dont know much about fords, but you cant turn down a free car to make into a race car.... :) Also how do you make sure if its a unibody or not... I am pretty sure a rear wheel drive cant be a unibody but I am not sure...

Any help is greatly apreciated, since I am hopeing to get this thing running, stripped, and cage installed before aug 12 race at SAS or atleast make the last couple of races of this season....

It will be a unibody, cougar started as a unibody in 1967, went full frame briefly from 1972 - 1979 then back to unibody from '80 on. If it is anything past '89 it should have a port injection setup, 83-89 were throttle body injection that looks a lot like the old 2100 series Autolite 2 barrel. If you want the longer wheelbase, it should be the 80-82 models and they had a variable venturi carb that looks like a 2 barrel but has two big rolling blocks that move with engine vacuum to vary the size of the venturi opening. If allowed, remove the VV carb and install a 2100 or Holley 4412.

According to a website devoted to cougars that someone on here gave to me, the 80-82 had 112"wheel base, 83-90 had 104" wheel base, 91-97 had 114" wheel base, and in 95-97 they went to a 4.? L engine... The car given to me definately has a 5.0L 302 and is 114" long so we know its 91-95 somewhere.. I havent looked at the engine yet I go get it tonight... I do need to verify the unibody part of it though since in GS rules it says no unibody's, but damn that will suck... How can you tell if its actually a unibody by looking at the underside?

the frame rails will stop under the driver and they are only about 3 inches wide .they will not extend like your chevys .full frame cars purty much flat after the seat james lee had a nice thunder bird 80.s that he used to run in tps .no problem putting a 5.0 in it and raceing .i dont know who has it now . but i bilieve it is still here in cc .

It just sucks that no uni-bodys are allowed, everything I have been finding cheap is a uni-body car... I didnt think a rear wheel drive could be a uni body but I guess I was wrong... Is there a safety issue for a Grand stock if it is a uni body or is that to keep some cars from being run?

ok yeah it cant be safety related since they are allowed in sportsman which those cars go alot faster..... I emailed rick to see if it can be run, since it is definately a land yaght at 114" If not since its a free car, I guess I can always beef it up and find a 351 motor for it and run it as slow as h*ll sportsman... LoL

Best guess is they want to keep out anything smaller than full size 3500 Lb land yaughts.

THAT CAR IS LARGE ENOUGH TO PUT YOUR ITSY BITSY HONDA INSIDE OF IT .HEY THATS A THOUGHT WRECK ONE JUST PULL LEAVER AND POP OUT A BACK UP NOW WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; STUPID I DID . I KNOW I KNOW IM A FRUIT CAKE . :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

well dont know what become of this thing but the thunderbird james ran is at autotown towing and it has all of the cage still in it so if they let you run it you might wanna look at getting james old car it would have a lot of parts for you but they are uni body's i know he had made a solid frame under his

Archived