Anyone know what it is?

txtom

This past weekend, I went flying with a friend, and we flew over the SAS/Alamo Dragway complex.

My question is directed at something northwest of the tracks. We noticed what appeared to be an oval, probably a mile or so around, in the middle of a cornfield. It is outlined by trees, and appears to be built up (dirt berms) in the turn areas. It is situated North of Watson Road, East of Somerset Road, and maybe a mile or so south of Loop 410. If you turn onto Watson Road from Somerset, Watson veers to the right, then back to the left. If you were on Watson , as you hit that right veer, there looks like there is a dirt road going straight ahead leading to the southeast side of whatever this thing is.

If anyone knows what this is, let us all know.

Tom,

If I'm not mistaken, there used to be a horse racing or horse training facility in there years and years ago. Bruce Mabrito did some research on old race tracks a while back and I think that one was listed. Maybe a couple of car races were held there way back when...

Nick Holt

Thats strange! Zoomed in on it and there seems to be a house built in the middle of the straight away and trees growing on the high bank turns.If its a track its HUGE compare it to the 1/2 mile of SAS.Maybe this is some kind of UFO landing strip.......listen to me,I've been hanging out to long with the "Dirt Track Girl"

Jason,

It might be the 2-mile track Bruce was talking about, but I'm not sure.

I found this one of the 5-mile track in D'Hanis.

===============

Texas Proving Grounds Services located in D'Hanis Texas, is an independent full service proving ground with a five mile three lane high speed oval track located on 2000 acres.

img3.gif

I have a draft copy of a thing Bruce Mabrito put together a few years ago that lists all the known tracks in Bexar County. He was kind enough to give me the copy.

The only two mile track listed in this draft was located over in the Harlandale area between Pleasanton and South Flores Roads, South of Military drive.

The one questioned in my original posting doesn't seem to be on this list; and looking at the map sfrebel posted, compared to SAS, this thing might be 1 1/2 to 2 miles around. When we flew over it, one of the straights had small buildings on it, and the corners were lined with trees. Corn surrounded the entire thing. Shoulda had my camera....

Another interesting thing I found on that map--if you scroll straight North, to where Loop 410 is in the picture, then zoom in, you can see another oval just off the access road on the South side of 410. Is that the remains of the motorcycle track that Frank Howell had in the 70's?

Maybe Cindy has the answer.

Archived