Len Hayden passed away

NeilTPS

Len Hayden: 1941- 2006

He worked hard for Texas Racing

Len Hayden’s family in Tennessee informed Len’s good friend Bill Jordan that Len passed away at age 65. He died … late Monday, June 15, 2006 …due to a form of cancer known as Multiple Myeloma. He was diagnosed in November of 2004 and has been undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments since then. He was released from the hospital on May 2, 2005 after he recovered sufficiently from pneumonia. He was under Hospice home care in his final months. He died at his home in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

Len Hayden is survived by his wife Jody and sons David and Mark.

Len Hayden retired from the Air Force in 1985 and moved his family from San Antonio to Oak Ridge, Tennessee in 1989.

Len Hayden is remembered by many people in the Texas auto racing community for his hard work and serving our Texas racing sport in many valuable and different capacities.

His first job in racing was working for the late Bob Harmon at the Montgomery Speedway in Alabama where he also filed stock car racing newspapers stories.

The U.S. Air Force moved Len to San Antonio. In his off duty time, worked for Don Bierschwale and E.J. Weaks as an official and did some public address work at Highway 16 Raceway (later know as San Antonio International Speedway and now as San Antonio Speedway). He also worked for Don Bierschwale’ s NASCAR team as the semi-truck driver when the race cars were driven by the late Clarence Lovell and then by Ed Sczech, both of San Antonio.

He was a race official on my Texas Race of Champions staff at Texas World Speedway. He specialized in contingency sponsor award certification and other administrative duties.

Len also worked for two seasons as the PA announcer at CC Speedway. He also worked at Austin Speed-O-Rama. Len Hayden wrote auto racing articles for various racing newspapers and magazines.

Len was a member of my pit crew at several road races in Mexico including three 24 Hour races in Monterrey. Len was also on Greg Davidson’s pit crew for several All Pro races in the southeast.

He worked as an official for Bob Harmon’s All Pro Series when the circuit came to the 5/8 mile Fairgrounds track in Nashville, Tennessee for the All American 400 and at several other major All Pro races in the southeast.

As a spectator, he attended several NASCAR races in the southeast. His favorite was the 500 lap events held at the Bristol Motor Speedway.

The Texas racing community who knew Len Hayden should keep him and his family in their best thoughts at this difficult time for the Hayden family.

Len Hayden’s funeral is scheduled for Monday, June 19. Condolence messages may be e-mailed to the Hayden family at … LHaydenice@aol.com

Len Hayden will be buried in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. RIP Len.

This TexasSpeedZone obituary written by Len’s friend - Neil Upchurch

What an incredible, tireless supporter of racing in San Antonio. His passion for racing was endless.

The Hayden family is in our prayers during this difficult time.

Billy Bailey and family

Short track racing just lost one of its best.

Len was one of those tireless guys who would jump in and help out whenever there was a need. Never one to hog the spotlight, Len was content just knowing he was an intregal part of the sport he loved so deeply.

Rest in Peace, Len.

Nick Holt

A lot of the members on this board who are newer to area racing may not really know who Len was, or just how much he contributed to our history.

Neil Upchurch wrote a great summary of Len, but mere words from any of us do not do this gentleman justice.

You can look all over the racing map and see Len's signature. In the book produced by Alan Brown, entitled "The History of America's Speedways, you will see several of Len's photographs. Anyone who has those old news-print programs from the early years of Hwy 16 will recognize Len's handi-work. He also contacted racers weekly to get them out to the track. All while holding a steady Military job. Remember when Lackland Basic Trainees filled the stands at Hwy 16? Len set that up to give them a break away from their training.

Next time any of you see Greg Davidson, ask him about Len. Ask Chris about Len's son David. They were all close.

When Len lived here in San Antonio, over near Brooks Air Base, my father spent several nights over at Len's, poring over photos and videos. To say he had a lot of racing stuff is a big understatement.

I talked to David Hayden over the winter, and he is looking into possibly posting some of Len's photo collection. You will not be disappointed.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

Tom

Following are the funeral arrangements for Len Hayden from Len's wife, Jody Hayden

Weatherford Mortuary in Oak Ridge is handling the funeral. Visitation will be June 19th from 5:30 to 7:00pm, followed by a service with Father Michael Woods, and Hospice Chaplain John Shaw. Directly afterwards there will be a "Celebration of Len's Life" at the Doubletree Inn, Oak Ridge.

Memorials are preferred to the family's favorite charity, The Victory Junction Gang Camp, 4500 Adam's Way, Randleman, NC 27317.

The Hayden home address is 114 Tidewater Lane, Oak Ridge, TN 37830.

The home phone is 865/481-3877.

Sincerely,

Jody Hayden

Thanks to all who have explained who Len was and how much he contributed to the Texas racing scene...

I'm one of those who didn't know, but now I think I really have a better feel and understanding...

Condolences to Len's family - and racing family...

Sounds like short track racing lost one of its jewels with Len's passing...

God Bless all..

*NOTE: Trey Ware will be on the MZone Show tomorrow (June 18)..he knew Len and will offer a few words about him on the show...

Archived