Best Texas Latemodel Drivers

blueoval

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon Bendele. He has been the only driver out of SAS to win the Subelt championship not only once but twice (sorry Ervin, I know u got close once). Now he is proving that he can drive a super latemodel and I expect when he does go and hit some of the big shows like the snowball that he will be fast and a contender just like he is at each and every Romco race. Go get em' brandon!! :D

Whenever Freddie "The Beaumont Flyer" Fryar showed up it was just a matter of who was going to come in second. Without question the very best Texas stock car driver ever.

Second choice would have to be Rick Rapp.

Nick Holt

im just a youngster, i never go to see some of these guys race, but heard alot of stories. From those i have seen race, Fryar, Slick, Hubert Bean, David u, Rick Rapp, Kieth Riethmeyer, John Kelly, Brandon Bendele, Jason Oates, George Hagy, Greg Davidson even though some of these guys didnt go much further than sas, to me they are some of the best texas lm drivers. Now as to who the best is, i would have to say John Kelly, cause he has a fast ford and is a clean driver.

big john

The Motorsports Zone's unbiased Top Five LM drivers in Texas:

T-1) Casey Smith/Terry Labonte (2-time WCup champ)

2) Freddie Fryar

T-3) Brandon Bendele/Greg Davidson

T-4) Slick Yoemans/John Kelly

5) David Starr

Guest Justaracefan

1. Casey Smith – Is still very young but has proven on numerous occasions his ability to travel to the East Coast and Florida and race with the big boys. To me that says a lot about how good the driver is. (How does he do when he leave’s Texas)

2. Freddie Fryar – Won the Snowball traveled across the East Coast and kicked butt where ever he went.

3. Greg Davidson – Not at all scared to leave home and is VERY competitive where ever he goes. When he is on he is on! However I would not tie Brandon with Greg. I would give the tie to Chris Davidson. He is another “young” Texas driver that shows his ability to travel outside of Texas; last year he almost won the Snowball.

4. Slick Yoman – Good choice – No tie Kelly is good at San Antonio, Texas

5. Daivd Starr – Good driver – Makes Hank Parker look bad.

You want the best? How about the only San Antonio Driver to win 90% of the main events over an entire season. Buddy Jerkins once won 19 out of 21 main events. That was against some pretty fair drivers, such as Paul Jett, Waldo Harper, Jimmy "Fireball" Fingers, and Buddy Yantis. And that was back when they inverted the entire field, so he started at the back of the pack every week.

I once saw him blow the left front tire on lap 12 of a 75 lap main event and win the race. No pit stop, he just kept the left front wheel off the ground (modified style) for the remaining 63 laps.

They ran Austailian Pursuits back in those days, and the announcer wouldn't give the length of the race, just that it would be over as soon as Buddy passed everybody.

DRIVE HARD, TURN LEFT!

No question about it Freedie Fryar. Slick would rank a close second. Rick Rapp was always good as well. As far as Casey Smith is concerned I believe that time will only tell whether or not he can be considered in the same class as some of the others. I think what makes the older drivers so good is because they knew how to work on the cars and what adjustments to make. Some of the younger people nowdays dont really know how to do that. Oh yeah, Leroy Brooks would have to be one of the best as well. He drove pretty much any kind of race car with wheels on it.

Archived