PAS POSTER

see86go

Here is an old PAS poster I recently found. It's not in the best condition. I also had to stitch three scanned images together due to its large size.

I'm guessing it came from the 1977-78 era due to the car class names and what I can make of the photos.

I remember pulling this down off a bulletin board outside the track office :) .

pasposter6xq.th.jpg

Thanks! Somewhere I have a photo of Ricci Ware Sr. racing a midget, and I seem to remember that it was the #11.

I will take a stab at enhancing the photos and will post them if I am successful.

Craig

Craig,

Lee Machen had a poster like that that advertised Midgets at Austin Speedorama from the middle of 1962. It is weathered like yours, but Larry Schultz took it to someone in Austin and had it redone as a poster. It still has the worn look, but i think it adds character.

It would be neat if we could get yours done like that.

I have a couple of the Austin ones, Gave my dad one, and also the mighty Budman.

I need to look into that. My poster is deteriorating. I think it may have been part of the memorabilia I found after a fire we had in 1996. That was one time when being a pack rat paid off, as my photos were scattered in boxes everywhere due to our move across the country, and very few got damaged.

I took a stab at enhancing the individual photos. I actually overdid the contrast to try to make things more readable.

Here are the midgets:

poster5.jpg

poster6.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I remember taking posters to auto parts stores in the Universal City area and posting them for PAS. Two of my cars are in the mini-stock picture. I think a repro poster would look good on anybodys shop wall, I know I'd buy one.

The Super Stock pics have Gilbert Salazar in the #18, Ricci Ware JR in the #7, I think the car backwards in front of the #7 is the #9 of Jake Wallace Sr. That might be Alvin Stewart in 20.

As for the Midgets, they mostly came from the Houston area.

I might know how to identify a couple of them. Will take a couple days, though.

If I remember correctly, the midget picture of the #10, and the #11 was a grudge match between Ricci Ware Sr, and Ricci Ware Jr. It was about 1977. The midgets were coming, and Jr. wanted to drive one. Ricci Sr. told him how good he was back in his day, and that it might not be that easy to step into one and race it. They then bet who could out drive the other one. One of the midget owners, had two identical cars,the#10, and the #11. This had to be when Ricci Jr. lapped Ricci Sr. because that was the only time that the two cars were ever close to eachother.

Rocketdog,

Ricci,Sr. showed up in SA from California along about '63. He was an immediate hit on KTSA, SA's AM rock station at the time. It didn't take long before he was at Austin on Friday's and SA on Saturday's running a super-modified. I wish I could say he was a front-runner, but with fields that included Niedecken, Jerkins, White, the Johnson's, Doyle, Yantis and sometimes Fillip and Harper, that would have been a tough assignment for anybody. :D

• 1 year later...

Archived