Some old pics

NickHolt

I think I know a couple of these.

Pic-1 #33 is Danny Rittiman climbinmg the wall. # 3 is probably Darrell godfredson, he ran that number back then.

Pic-2 #3 Darrell Godfredson.

The third picture I remember the car, but can't place a name.

Pic-4 #55 is Bubba Storbeck

Pic-5 #19 is probably Bill White, it is Frank Ferris' car. Calvin Gustafson drove for Frank later in a camaro.

Pic-6 #76 is Jimmy Finger. This car was metallic green.

Pic-7 #54 Maybe Donald Oatman?

Pic-8 #50 Gotta be Harold Oatman.

When I remember the rest, I'll update this post.

Thanks for a great memory trigger, Jim!

All of these pictures from the past are cool to look at. I like cause I get to see the race cars of the past that I didnt get to see. I'm wonderin if anyone has pictures from the late 80' to mid 90's of the TIDA and Romco series. I remember those cars running at Longhorn and SAS and would like to see pictures to bring back memories. Maybe Jason you ought to start one section of the photos for all the photographs so we dont have to find the thread there on. Just an idea. Keep up the old pictures its fun to see them.

Most of them are before my memory bank begins....

the last one is Hubert Bean. That's all I get to contribute......

Billy

P.S. Looks like Finger's #76 pic saw a second life as a coaster for a coffee cup!!! LOL!

Ok the names that go with the pictures:

#33 Danny Rittiman

#3 Darrell Godferson

#56 Hubert Bean

#55 Bubba Storbeck

#19 Jerry Stanley

#76 Jimmy"fireball" Finger

#54 Don Oatman

#50 w/black fenders Harold Oatman

#56 the vertical Hubert Bean

#33 Danny Rittiman

#50 Orange car was Don Oatman driving Harold Oatman's car

#5 The Bean Bandit strikes again

All the pictures except for the #76 car were at Pan American Speedway. The #76 was at the Austin Speed-o-rama( Longhorn Speedway). Hope I spelled the names right.

• 4 years later...
Hey Billy-

You're bringing back some old memories! I remember Finger punching the hole, but I don't remember Alvin or Danny following a few laps later. It was a red chevelle with white numbers, a local who only ran spradically.

Do you remember the night the cow got loose and ended up on the track in turn one? Off turn one was some pasture land, and someone left the gate open up by the little maintenance shack. Or the night all the lights in the place went out during a race? All the wreckers and safety trucks in the infield flipped their lights to avert a disaster.

I also remember when Lucian Wallace blew a clutch down the front stretch and shrapnel went up as high as the lights, and glass and clutch parts rained down on Bill Lay and Dick Caulfield in the flag box. He should'nt been running that aluminum bell housing!!

Speaking of Caulfields, I helped Bobby a little on the clean-up crew when I was too dumb to know better, and he would enlist the help of a bunch of younger guys who lived near him. He usually kept that orange Studebaker idling in the infield while the cars were running. If one of those guys needed to pee, they'd just go around to the side away from the crowd. As soon as the kid got a good "flow" going, Bobby would quietly put the truck in gear, then pull away real fast, leaving this poor kid standing there trying to cover up without pissing all over himself.

We had a lot of fun, and I spent a lot of my teenage saturday nights there.

Every one has their opinions about the place, but the facility was second to none, and with inverted starts, if you wanted to win, you had to RACE.

Tom - the red chevelle you speak of was Leroy Brooks. Buddy Jerkins spun going into one backing it into the fence. Brooks was riding the high groove like he normally did and was squeezed into the fence by the 1 car of of Jerkins. Charro, in the #10 Camaro was behind Brooks on the high side and could not get it slowed up enough and assited Brooks over the fence. It was just like it happended yesterday.....

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived