tws

HiTech

Want to go fast. like turning left and right . i do .this is for NEIL is TWS still on the map for lease and what does or did it cost to rent .would love to go back .alot of the new drivers have only heard but not seen that place . very big .a world of fun .and sence its been years after the last race .think there might be a lot willing to go .I know its a hugh task but you can do it .

Oldtimer: Like they say, "that was then and this is now".

When I initiated the Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway in 1976, TWS was the promoter. I was the race director. It was a spectator event. TWS paid the purse of more than $50,000 to approximately five classes. The super late model winner routinely won $4,000 to $5,000. The Pro Sedan winner won $1,000 at several races.

Total cars through the gate was about 150 to 160. The TIDA Super Late Model class routinely had 50 entries. The TIDA Pro Sedans and the Super Stock class each had about 35 entries. Showroom Stock and the Formula Vee classes would put about 20 cars on the grid. I had about 40 to 50 officials helping me. TWS had about 30 employees assigned to TROC races.

In those days between 1976 and 1993, a three day TWS pit pass only cost $25. Race gas cost was $2.50 per gallon. That was really big money in those days. If adjusted for inflation today, those figures would more than double.

Texas World Speedway hasn't held a Texas Race of Champions type event since 1993. They have found less investment risk and greater profit by renting TWS to sports car groups, car testing, new car marketing programs and etc. Also, they told me they are unwilling to rent TWS for a spectator event because the grandstand is closed.

The NASA event, where Texas Pro Sedans were invited to participate at TWS in 2004 and 2005 would have involved unacceptable overhead cost for each TPS entry. Entry fees would have totaled $350 to $400. Most of the fee would be to help NASA pay for TWS track rental. Add in motel and travel costs and you are looking at about $700 per car through the gate.

Here is the most devastating news. Participants in such a TWS event would be required to race for NO PURSE and only a winners trophy.

I was asked by both the ROMCO and USRA owners to conduct a cost estimate to rent TWS and have a TROC type race. The numbers just didn't crunch. I wish they had, but they didn't.

Like they say, "that was then and this is now".

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

note: an edit was done to show - The first TROC was held in 1976 (not 1978)

entry 275.00 (includes you & 3 others)

Sat & Sunday racing

lets say: 4 X 25.00 THR pit pass=100.00 X 2= 200.00

add: 75.00 (reg fee etc.)

PURSE? if you have 20 cars and paid a 50.00 entry you could have a 1000.00 purse plus any little sponsors picked up along the way.

The fee charged by NASA is paid by everyone that races that weekend. Not just invited classes/series

*this is by far less expensive that renting the track*

2 days on a 2.9 mile road course. your beat

also you have the option of camping in the infield. They have a snack bar, and nice bathroom/shower areas.

~sometimes its not all about a purse...its about the experience.~

direct-flo .....You wrote:

"~sometimes its not all about a purse...its about the experience.~"

Correct - if you are talking about amateur racing.

In preparing my reply, I thought we were referencing professional racing.

Neil Upchurch

THANKS NEIL just wanted to know . it would of been nice to be able to go there .that was one heck of a place to play . lorraine was about to give birth that week that yah ran in october of 91 .i couldnt go but if you remember irene wilkie drove my car at that years event i believe she started 12.th .got up to 8.th or so and got spun out on the last lap .atleast thats what i remember ..not sure if i am correct .she had never been in a pro sedan car before that race .im just glad she brought it home in one piece.

Neil,

You are welcome to come to one of our events and witness some professional racing. While the track situation is different now that 20-30 years ago it doesn't change the fact that our racers are no more or less professional than the ones that race with TPS, USRA, or any local track. Honestly, I don't believe that there are many racers in Texas that are true "professional drivers", meaning that is their full time job. But there are many that treat their racing as any professional team should. NASA Texas welcomes all drivers to come to one of our events; we have a place for you to race.

Clifton Winkleman

Race Director

NASA Texas

Oldtimer & anyone else that wants to race

NASA TX is holding an event Aug 5&6 at TWS

(that is an open weekend)

come on out--the weekend is run very professional by the folks at NASATX. Race on a track that many professionals have raced on. When your on the 2.9 mile road course you will feel like a professional also.

come on out--the weekend is run very professional by the folks at NASATX. Race on a track that many professionals have raced on. When your on the 2.9 mile road course you will feel like a professional also.

how do they decide on what class your in .7 pro sedan .

97 are you the one she said got her loose in that race .. she didnt do to bad i had two 650 springs and one degree of - camber on the car on both sides .and a 5200 card with 355 gears .had 411.s to go in it but i said what the heck and left the 355 in it .so really she only went to have fun , when you go to that track i dont even think a bout winning .

tqj3 - you wrote "Speaking of professionals and purses, have you ever heard of a posted purse in Formula 1?"

TQ: As you are aware, neither F 1 or Champ Car posts their purses, but we both know each sanctioning body does pay those racing teams rather well by the terms of a pre-stated contract arrangement.

btw - Does anyone know when the F 1 contract with Indy expires?

Neil Upchurch

True, Neil, but Formula 1 doesn't pay for finishing position per se, other than it may affect your payout for next season. It's all through contracts at the beginning of the year.

Still, "no purse" doesn't mean "not professional." And a hobby racer is a hobby racer whether or not he gets fifty bucks for a race that costs him $500 to run.

In addition, I'd bet that more than 90 percent of racers worldwide compete for nothing but trophies while fielding what are, by any standard, very professional teams. Try the SCCA June Sprints or the "Runoffs" if you want to see serious professionalism in "hobby" racing.

Archived