Weather @ Houston?

STAGGER

I called Graham Baker a few minutes ago and he says the racing in on tonight at HMP.

He said they had a big storm go through very early this morning, but that the track is now dry and the pits are usable. He mentioned that there were a lot of clouds in the area, but that as of now they are definately racing tonight.

Nick Holt

TMS had a race, and since it was raining early Saturday morning alot pulled to TMS so our Legends, Bandos, and Roadsters were low on count.

11 Mods

11 Sportsman (350) Late Models?

7? Pro Late Models

12 Pro Modifides. The 77 USRA pulled from SAS to join us since we were racing. With a 200lb weight add-on, he was about even withthe field. Starting scratch worked his way up to 4th.

Avg. Legacy turn out, but a GREAT race!!!!! Lots of passing, and great racing for the lead all night.

Two first time winners in the Late Models, the 02 in the 350s and Kristen Bumbera started on the poll and lead all 50 laps for her first ever late model win!

uhcougs

That was a fun night of racing, I found out late in the day that Houston was running and they would allow us to race so we changed from the SAS set-up to HMS and re-scaled the car and changed gears and left here @ 3:30 with a 3 hour drive. When we got there they treated us so unbelieveably well and every single person we talked to was so nice. We missed practice so they allowed us 4 laps and we had to start scratch and had a very fun race. Houston is a first class track, first class officials, & first class racers and we will race there many more times. I also liked the Goodyears and thanks to Jerry Schild for lending us a tire & wheel.

Jason Ray #77

Smileys Racing Products

870 SH46

New Braunfels Tx 78130

(830)626-RACE

TMS had a race, and since it was raining early Saturday morning alot pulled to TMS so our Legends, Bandos, and Roadsters were low on count.

11 Mods

11 Sportsman (350) Late Models?

7? Pro Late Models

12 Pro Modifides. The 77 USRA pulled from SAS to join us since we were racing. With a 200lb weight add-on, he was about even withthe field. Starting scratch worked his way up to 4th.

Avg. Legacy turn out, but a GREAT race!!!!! Lots of passing, and great racing for the lead all night.

Two first time winners in the Late Models, the 02 in the 350s and Kristen Bumbera started on the poll and lead all 50 laps for her first ever late model win!

11 mods and 12 pro mods? Are there two type of modifieds running at HMP now?

thanks

Budman,

If you run the track efficiently (which the Bakers obviously do) you can run that many classes. We were finished racing at 10:30 pm. We had a very enjoyable time and everyone - officials, owner, racers - treated us like they were glad we were there-------imagine that!

J&R,

What was your thinking on whipping on the 200 lbs? Did you just hang it "everywhere" due to the lack of time or did you have the mounting positions available to "lump" it low under the pre existing cg to keep most of the %'s , just relative to a heavier car?

Under the existing Houston rules, couldn't you have removed enough ls weight or hung enough "counterbalance" weight on the extreme right framerail to get to 57% with well under 200 lbs? I don't really know the rules there.

Just curious.

I'm 3 for 3 on rainouts at RR.

Jay

ss99

From what I remember there was only one class of mods but we were so busy that honestly I couldnt tell you for sure

jracer98

Through USRA we have to be 200lbs so we were already there but USRA has no ground clearance rule but Houston is 4". To answer your question the weight is hung as low as it can go and placed to get our %'s where it needs to be, but adding 200lbs to a mod is not an easy task. We can get to 57% with far less than 200lbs but that is what they require with a 4bbl motor.

Jay,

We are running under the new USRA mod rules which allows a 4 brl motor with 200 lbs and 58% or 100 lbs and 56%. We were set up for the former. Houston allows 57%. All the extra weight is in the center, so we moved some right and when we went across the scales post race we were 56.1% (difference in scales or miscalculation on my part?). Car was very loose, but we only had 4 practice laps because we arrived late. We took some stagger out and put some extra preload on the bar. Jason wanted to go down on the panhard bar too, but I didn't want to make that many changes---I should have listened to him.

Anyway, what matters is we had fun and laying off for 3 years doesn't seem to have hurt.

Have you run any at RR this year? We would still like to get up there, but 7 hrs - Ughhh.

Rusty

Yes, I know all about the 7 hours...it's only 1 less for me to get to SA from Dallas.

I haven't kept up on the exact rules, I just jumped to the wrong conclusion that you had to add 200 lbs to a 400hp car to be allowed to run.

What are the tires like?

Jay

Jay,

We set a record (which was broken the next year) at HMP on Hoosier tires at 14.51. They told me the current record on the Goodyears is in the 14.80's. Jason really liked the Goodyears. He said the hotter they get the stickier they get. Even when you abuse them they don't go away or blister like the AR's. Most of the racers said you can run them 2 - 3 races and they are better on the 2nd race. Pressures don't seem to make as much difference as on the Hoosiers. Since we've now run on all 3, I'd say the Hoosiers have a slight advantage, then the Goodyears a close 2nd (especially to someone who doesn't want to buy a new set of tires for each race), then the AR's.

Rusty

Sorry, I was copying down from my notes from my walk throughs in the pits. Stagger, hray, It was a pleasure working with you on the spotters stand, you and your car can come back ANY TIME!

I'm not trying to start anything but we welcome anyone who wants to run at Houston on your off weekends to call Graham Baker and he'll put you in touch with our super fair and conistent tech man to get you legal to run with our guys. We're experincing alot of growth at HMP. Chuck and I are starting to work on putting our new race procedures on paper for everyone to have a copy of. We saw a spike in fan count, even with the ran. Car counts are coming up as well! Its going to be an exciting year at HMP!

When we pulled in (an hour and a half late) I was suprised to see the pits full. You guys must be doing something right. I looked at the schedule and it looks like the ProMods are running the last Sat of this month and then at THR on June 3rd. We may show up for both.

Most of the racers said you can run them 2 - 3 races and they are better on the 2nd race.

So far this season we've run 1 set of the Goodyear’s for all the practices and races (over 500 laps). And they do get better after a few heat cycles; similar to the 970.

After 4 races the right rear is just now starting to show some tread wear but the performance has remained consistent.

I was a doubter when Graham told me we could run a full season on 2 sets of tires… I still think 2 is a stretch but 3 is definitely feasible.

It’s pretty unbelievable after several seasons of slapping on a fresh set of F53’s for each race. Saving $400 a race sure helps the race budget; I'll save about 3800 on tires this year compared to years past. Unfortinatley I think it may all go to cover diesel and race fuel... :blink:

Does THR have their own modified class, are they the same as the Houston mods? There were 4 mods racing a couple of weeks ago when the USRA SLM's were there. Some people thought those were the USRA Mods, but I knew they were not. Can these mods race with the USRA Mods with a weight break?

Alot of the Pro Modifieds are former TAMS modifieds, some have just showed up. The 77 was the first USRA Modified we've had show up all season. The rules are primarily based on the old TAMS rules, and not the USRA rules.

I havn't taken the 2006 USRA Rule Book and compared it to the Houston rule book, but I would imagine, that since alot of the cars are old TAMS rules, they're not very far off from the new USRA rules. I don't think you'll see any of drivers taking off to run USRA anytime soon. They've all expressed how grateful they are for the Bakers starting that class and want to see it really grow back.

Hobby Stocks are starting to grow as well. The turnouts are a little low still, but this is only the 4th race for that class. The man who was responsible for bringing that class to HMP has talked to several dirt drivers who are converting their cars as we speak. I suspect you'll see a healthy class of Hobby Stocks by the end of the season. The Pro Late Models need another season before they'll really be a hit. The Sportsman Late Models are still growing, even from last year. Theres a few more cars in the area that are still working on getting the cars ready to come back out.

HORSEPOWER

The class is from Houston but I guess they are working with THR which I like because it's only a 30min drive for us. They are pretty much the same thing w/ the exception of the Goodyear tire and the 400hp crates are allowed 58% left and the 2bbl motors are 57% left both @ 2550lbs. And if you run a 4bbl add 200lbs @ I think 57% left. Also they have a 4" ground clearance rule & 3" on the exhaust without driver. You are also allowed to run a quick change rearend.

Jason Ray #77

Archived