Synthetic OIl

marvinmcgee

Does anybody know much about Synthetic oil consumption?

I hava 90 model truck with near 120k miles. Always used 5/30 oil that was changed every

3-5 k miles. Truck never used any oil between changes.

I decided the old truck needed some love, so I put in name brand synthetic oil 5w30.

After about putting 2k on the truck the check oil light comes on to my surprise.

There are no leaks buy my hi dollar synthetic oil has left????

Does synthetic oil burn up quicker than regular oil?????

What brand did you use. If you wanna show it some love use Mobile 1 that is some darn good oil. Keep parts oiled up really nice. My buddy uses it in his mustang ,oil pump locked up and drove it for 7-8 miles and never hurt a thing.Pulles the motor and put new pump in and still run today.

also if you live in texas change to 10 w30. when i bought my new truck with no miles on it used a quart of oil before it hit 2000 miles . i called dealership and they gave me run around and got a number for the gm corporation and a tech told me for the climate we live in go from 5 w to 10 w to stop oil consumption. also i heard that the synthtics are slightly thinner and thats the reason they burn off. i suggest mobil synthitic thats 10w 30 next oil change and should stopp that. :D

I use 0-40 mobil one in my street cars and 15-50 mobil one in the race car. I have used synthetic since the mid 80's. It is very common for an older vehicle to use oil when first switching to synthetic, don't worry about it. It will stop using oil before you need your next oil change. I'm not sure if any synthetic is better than the other one. I used Amsoil untill about 5 years ago but Mobil was more available to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know much about Synthetic oil consumption?

When switching to a synthetic motor oil in a vehicle that has several miles or years old, it is not uncommon to have oil consumption on the first few changes. The synthetic oil starts cleaning the engine out, fills the oil filter causing the filter to bypass then consuming oil. It is best just to add a quart of synthetic oil with your regular oil and change at 3,000 miles. Then add 2 quarts synthetic and keep repeating until it is all synthetic. This is one to switch to ensure no leaks or consumption issues.

Does synthetic oil burn up quicker than regular oil?????

No

Hope this helps. I run 0W-30 synthetic oil

• 15 years later...

I know this is an old post, but this is a common subject. I somewhat disagree that a filter that's bypassing would increase oil consumption. When engines are first manufactured they use the thinnest oil possible to meet government CAFE fuel  economy standards. While it would not hurt to continue using 5W30, depending on what region of the country you live. 5W30 will flow better at lower temperatures below 32 degrees than 10W30.  That being said if possible I would switch to a 10W30 or straight 30W. Finally, if all seems good and the engine is not smoking or running rough, I would look into what may be causing oil consumption such as bad valve seals. If your truck is a 1990 GM, they are notorious for valve seals.