Transmission Help

KahneFan

I get around 22 on the hiway and about 18 in town, and it only drops slightly pulling a trailer loaded or my camper. I attribute my great gas milage to my truck being a 5 speed manual tranny, however in traffic my feet and leg get very tired holding in the clutch, but i get great gas milage and my left calf is the size of popeyes fore arms. 2000 ford cc diesle.

I get around 22 on the hiway and about 18 in town, and it only drops slightly pulling a trailer loaded or my camper. I attribute my great gas milage to my truck being a 5 speed manual tranny, however in traffic my feet and leg get very tired holding in the clutch, but i get great gas milage and my left calf is the size of popeyes fore arms. 2000 ford cc diesle.

I actually test drove an 04' single-cab stepside when I was looking. Just from the overnight test drive, I think I would've made up the MPG difference in tires :lol:

And Txtom, it would probably run so good you would give it away for a chevy.

This could start a crap here but its all in fun  

F U#$ING

O WNER

R EALLY

D UMB

OR FORD BACKWARDS STANDS FOR Driver Returns On Foot LMAO

Ahhh, yes, the old arguments!

When I brought it home, my son gave me all kinds of crap about Fords. He drives a GMC Sonoma pick up. He got quiet after towing him home a few times. Funny, didn't bother him to go to Pensacola in it.

Then he picked on his sister after she bought a ford. All the old "fix or repair daily" and the like.

He left her alone after she explained that GMC not only stood for "gotta mechanic coming," but also "gay man's chevy".

The link provided is right on the money. One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is the reasoning why this test was performed on a diesel. The average turbo charged engine uses approx 54 times the air that a normally aspirated gas engine does over the same amount of miles. Dirt getting by the filter will result in a "dusted" engine approx 54 times quicker in return.

This is why there is such a great push for the diesel user not to use a K & N filter from the OEMs.

Note you have a gas motor, so the rate at which air flows (and dirt)into the engine is much much less.

Below is an excerpt taken from a friend of mine that works for the filter company Donaldson who makes the Powers Stroke OEM filter for us. He posted this on a diesel forum a couple of weeks ago.

I have tested some of the washable/rechargeable type filters, but none for this specific application. I can say that from the results of what I have tested, that these type of filters have no place on MY Powerstroke Diesel.

Normally, I will go and buy a system if the manufacturer says it performs better than the standard OEM PowerCore in all areas. All of those areas are:

1) Dust Loading: PowerCore in this application holds nearly 3 lbs of dirt and that is pretty hard to beat with any element of similar size.

2) Filtering Efficiency: PowerCore is 99.99% efficient, I have tested some popular competing elements in the past that have only achieved a 75% efficiency rating. This would mean when loaded to 3 lbs of dirt like the PowerCore, it would let 3/4 lb (340 grams) of that dirt pass directly to the engine(doing the math PowerCore stops all but about 1/10th of a gram). 100,000 rpm turbo blades do not like dirt.

3) Restriction: The OEM PowerCore is well under the Ford spec of 7" of H2O restriction at the flow rate of 775 cfm. As I stated in a previous post, I have tested competitors units that can't even flow what the OEM PowerCore does when it is completly loaded and ready for a change. Restriction normally works hand in hand with the above mentioned efficiency. It is usually tough to get a low restriction without sacrificing filtering efficiency. PowerCore has made this hurdle as it packs a large amount of high efficiency media in a smaller package.

4) Cold Air Induction: Anyone who know anything about making horsepower understands that cold air induction is a huge player in the horsepower equation. Why do you think they make intercoolers? Yes, to cool the air and make more power. Why then would you strap some goofy air induction system onto your throttle body that breathes hot underhood air? When the engine senses that hot air it will defuel to compensate for the lower density and thus you will make less power.

5) Noise Attenuation: Not always a big player for everyone, but the OEM PowerCore system does a good job at keeping a muzzle on the high frequency turbo whine often heard with other systems installed. I have heard folks on this forum who have said that at first they thought the whining sound was cool, but then it wore on them and became rather annoying so they switched back to the OEM system.

So what can we learn from all of this? I guess what we've been told all alon is true, and that is that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is such a thing called "value" and I think that is where the PowerCore really shines. Yes, PowerCore does carry a small price premium, but with that premium are many added benefits. Donaldson company is not in the business of giving you the cheapest air filter for your vehicle, but rather the best filter at the best value. If you want the cheapest, why did you pay $50,000 for your truck?

And Txtom, it would probably run so good you would give it away for a chevy.

This could start a crap here but its all in fun  

F U#$ING

O WNER

R EALLY

D UMB

OR FORD BACKWARDS STANDS FOR Driver Returns On Foot LMAO

Ahhh, yes, the old arguments!

When I brought it home, my son gave me all kinds of crap about Fords. He drives a GMC Sonoma pick up. He got quiet after towing him home a few times. Funny, didn't bother him to go to Pensacola in it.

Then he picked on his sister after she bought a ford. All the old "fix or repair daily" and the like.

He left her alone after she explained that GMC not only stood for "gotta mechanic coming," but also "gay man's chevy".

I think I "HEARS" a Brand War coming... Keep it clean, so his thread doesn't get locked...

Chevrolet=Can-hear-every-valve-rattle-on-long-extended-trips

or Cracked-heads-every-valve-rattles-oil-leaks-every-time

Ford=First-on -recall-day or Foward-only-reverse-destructive

I drive a Chevy

Just found this on the ole' Google...

ACURA:

Another Crummy, Useless, Rotten Automobile

Asia's Curse Upon Rural America

AMC:

All Makes Combined

A Major Cost

A Mutated Car

A Morons Car

Another Major Catastrophe

AUDI:

Awfully Unsafe Designs Implemented

Accelerates Under Demonic Influence

Automobile Under Demonic Influence

Another Ugly Deutsche Invention

Always Undermining Deutsche Intelligence

Automobile Unsafe Designs, Inc.

BMW:

Big Mormon Wagon

Big Money Works

Bought My Wife

Brutal Money Waster

Break My Window

Break My Windshield

Babbling Mechanical Wench

Beastly Monstrous Wonder

Beautiful Masterpieces on Wheels

Beautiful Mechanical Wonder

Barely Moving Wreck

Big Money Waste

Big Money. Why?

Big Money Works

Born Moderately Wealthy

Breaks Most Wrenches

Bring More Wrenches

Brings Me Women

Brings More Women

Broken Money Waster

Broke My Wallet

Broken Monstrous Wonder

Bumbling Mechanical Wretch

Blasphemous Motorized Wreck

BUICK:

Big Ugly Indestructible Car Killer

Big Ugly Imitation Chrome King

CHEVROLET:

Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips

Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time

Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time

Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques

DODGE:

Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere

Damn Old Dirty Gas Eater

Dead Old Dog Going East

Dead On Day Guarantee Expires

Dead On Delivery, Go Easy

Dead On Delivery, Guarantee Expired

Dead Or Dying Garbage Emitter

Dear Old Dads Garage Experiment

Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

EDSEL: Every Day Something Else Leaks

FIAT:

Failed Italian Automotive Technology

Fix It Again, Tony!

Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation

FORD:

Frigin' Old Rebuilt Dodge

Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead

Fast Only Rolling Downhill

First On Race Day

First On Recall Day

Fabricated Of Refried Dung

Fails On Rainy Days

Fantastically Orgasmic Realistic Dream

Fatally Obese Redneck Driver

Fault Of R&D

Finally Obsolete Racing Device

Fireball On Rear Denting

First On Road to Dump

First On Rust and Deterioration

Fix Or Recycle Dilemma

Flipping Over Results in Death

Flipped Over Roadside Disaster

Follow Our Rusty Dogsled

Foot On Road Decelerates

Forced On Reluctant Drivers

Formed Of Rejected DNA

Forwarded Once; Return Denied

Forward Only; Reverse Defective

Forlorn, Old, Ratridden Dustbin

Fork Over Repair Dough

Fouled Out Re-done Dodge

Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Deterioration

Free Or Reduced Drastically

Frequent Opinion: Really Disappointed

Fumes and Odors Readily Detectable

Funny Old Rattling Dump

(backwards) Driver Returns On Foot

GEO: Good Engineering Overlooked

GM:

General Maintenance

Great Mistake

Garbage Motors

Generally Miserable

Grossly Misconceived

Gluteus Maximus

GMC:

Garage Man's Companion

Gotta Mechanic Coming?

Generally Mediocre Cars

Get More Chicks

Gets Mechanics Crazy

Gods Mechanical Curse

Got More Crap

Great Mountain Climber

Great Motor Car

GTO: Gas, Tires, Oil

HONDA:

Had One Never Did Again

Hang On, Not Done Accelerating

Hallmark Of Non-Descript Automobiles

Hallmark Of Non-Destructable Automobiles

HYUNDAI: Hope You Understand Nothing's Driveable And Inexpensive...

JEEP:

Just Eats Every Part

Junk Engineering Executed Poorly

Just Empty Every Pocket

MAZDA: Most Always Zipping Dangerously Along

MG: Money Guzzler

MGB: Might Go Backwards

MGF: Might Go Forward

MIATA: My Intention: Always To Accelerate

MOPAR:

Many Odd Parts Arranged Randomly

Miscellaneous Oddball Parts Assembled Ridiculously

Most Often Passed At Races

Mostly Old Parts And Rust

Move Over People Are Racing

Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly

My Old Pig Ain't Running

My Only Problems Are Repairs

MUSTANG: Motor Under Strain, Transmission Almost No Good

OLDSMOBILE: Overpriced, Leisurely Driven Sedan Made Of Buick's Irregular Leftover Equipment

PINTO:

Put In Nickel To Operate

Paid Inspector Nicely To Overlook

PLYMOUTH: Please Leave Your Money Out Under The Hood

PONTIAC: Poor Old Numbskull Thinks Its A Cadillac

PORSCHE: Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything

SAAB:

Send Another Automobile Back

Swedish Automobiles Always Breakdown

Sad Attempt At Beauty

Sorry Auto, Always Broken

Shape Appears Ass-Backwards

SUBARU: Screwed Up Beyond All Repair Usually

TOYOTA:

Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto

Torturous On Your Old Tired Ass

The One You Ought To Avoid

TRIUMPH:

This Really Is Unreliable Man, Please Help!

Tried Repairing It Until My Parts Hurt!

VOLVO: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object

VW: Virtually Worthless

Ford people and Chevy people goin' at it ! I've always been a Chevy man but my last 3 trucks have been Dodge. :D (My first was a V-10 and I hooked chains to bumpers with a Ford crew cab dually and dragged his smokin' ass down the road...I didn't fare so well in 2wd) :P It sure got bad gas mileage!

Ford people and Chevy people goin' at it ! I've always been a Chevy man but my last 3 trucks have been Dodge. :D (My first was a V-10 and I hooked chains to bumpers with a Ford crew cab dually and dragged his smokin' ass down the road...I didn't fare so well in 2wd) :P It sure got bad gas mileage!

To bad you don't still have that truck, I've never chained myself to anyone in a pullin contest, but I figure if I can pull a Kenworth Tractor out of a muddy ditch; I sure as heck could give you a run...

Archived