Media Day at SAS a Huge Success

For Immediate Release

San Antonio Speedway Public Relations, (210) 685-0400

Nick Holt, USRA Media Director, (210) 415-1251

Rick Day, San Antonio Speedway General Manager, (210) 827-4524

MEDIA SHOWS UP IN FULL FORCE AT SAN ANTONIO

SPEEDWAY PRESS CONFERENCE

San Antonio, TX (March 30, 2006) – All of the major television stations in San Antonio – WOAI (Channel 4), KENS-TV (Channel 5), KSAT-TV (Channel 12), and FOX-TV (Channel 29) – showed up for today’s press conference and media day at San Antonio Speedway. Mike Haag from the San Antonio Express-News was also in attendance representng the print media.

Nick Holt, USRA Media Director, kicked off the conference by welcoming the media, ASA officials and drivers, sponsors and fans to the speedway.

ASA Director of Operations, Jim Haun, shared some of the history of the ASA Late Model Series and talked about its growth over the last few years. He expressed his excitement about the ASA Late Model Series’ debut at San Antonio Speedway. “I’m looking forward to a great race on Saturday, and I’m proud to be a part of this big event,” stated Haun. “Our drivers traveled from all over the country for this race, and we know they will enjoy the challenge of this half-mile speedway.”

Appearing next and wearing his famous cowboy hat was San Antonio Speedway’s President and CEO Terry Dickerson. “There’s gonna be a lot of racing going on here this weekend, and these ASA drivers will put on a heck of a show for the local fans,” said Dickerson. “Thanks to sponsorships by Hill Country Satellite DirecTV and Express Lube, we hope the ASA Late Model Series Alamo 200 race will be something the fans will remember for a long time.”

Representing some of the ASA drivers who have traveled a long way to be a part of this race were Jack Smith from Ohio, Ryan Carlson from Illinois, Landon Cassill from Iowa and Frank Kreyer from Wisconsin. They commented on the speedway’s unique design and then answered questions from the media. “So far, it’s really been worth the trip,” said Cassill. “The surface and banking of the track is very different from anything I’ve driven on before, and I’m looking forward to the challenge on Saturday night.”

Following the press conference, media representatives were invited to take a ride in the San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Craftsman Series two-seater race truck.

The racing action will start on Friday night, March 31, at 8:00 p.m., beginning with feature races for the San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Late Model and Sportsman divisions. The USRA Modifieds and USRA Trucks will also qualify for their starting spots in Saturday’s races. An ASA Late Model Series “Happy Hour” will follow USRA qualifying.

Saturday’s program will begin at 6:30 p.m., starting with USRA Modifieds and Trucks feature races. The Hill Country Satellite DirecTV Alamo 200 presented by Express Lube, featuring the ASA Late Model Series, will top off the evening.

The half-mile, high-banked San Antonio Speedway oval is the only NASCAR sanctioned short-track in the state of Texas. It is located 3.5 miles south of Loop 410 on State Highway 16 South towards Poteet, near the new Toyota facility.

Grandstand gates will open at 4:00 p.m. on both days. Friday’s admission is $15 for adults, $8 for seniors and Military (with ID) and $3 for children ages 7-12. Children six and under are admitted free.

Admission for the events on Saturday is $25 for adults, $15 for seniors and Military (with ID) and $5 for children ages 7-12. Children six and under are admitted free.

Advance discounted tickets ($2 off) for both Friday and Saturday’s races may be purchased at any of Express Lube’s 13 locations in San Antonio and New Braunfels.

For more information about San Antonio Speedway, call the SAS race hotline at 210-628-1499. The San Antonio Speedway website is http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com. For more information on the ASA Late Model Series, visit http://www.asalatemodels.com.

Following the press conference, media representatives were invited to take a ride in the San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Craftsman Series two-seater race truck.

So who took up the offer for a ride?

Any one chicken out? Mess their drawers? become infected with the racing virus? It can be real debilitating you know.

Brilliant job guys and gals!!!

Mark,

The folks from FOX 29 took the ride - check out the picture on the TSZ home page. I just love Joe's expression - not that he was scared or anything. The media folks today did much better than one of the KTSA winners a couple of weeks ago. Ask Trey Ware if she got scared.

Thanks, Mark, for your nice remark.

Debbie Williams and Tammy Dickerson did the lion's share of the work associated with putting the media day together. All I did was bombard every news outlet in the area with press release after press release and personal invitation after personal invitation. And Terry called quite a few of the TV guys and gals and invited them personally- complete with the famous Dickerson "Dag Burn" southern drawl.

Dag Burn? Dag Burn?

Nick Holt

I wanted to know if any of the Spanish stations showed up and if they were invited? San Antonio has a Hispanic population that makes up 60% of the city. I know they have been there in the past and interviewed drivers which aired on their news stations. Nice to see Shamu there for the kids on April 1st.

I wanted to know if any of the Spanish stations showed up and if they were invited? San Antonio has a Hispanic population that makes up 60% of the city. I know they have been there in the past and interviewed drivers which aired on their news stations. Nice to see Shamu there for the kids on April 1st.

Yes, the Hispanic outlets (as well as La Prensa, the largest Spanish-language newspaper in San Antonio) have been receiving USRA and SAS press releases along with personal phone and email contacts. And yes, they were all specifically invited to attend the big pre-ASA press conference. I was a little surprised when they did not show up.

Nick Holt