Truck series

mraracing

John, the reason for no big cubic inch ford or dodge.....because when the series started, they (ARTS) had only 305, 302, 318.. and the crate can be used in all body configurations...and the crate has equal (or close to h/p as the small cube motors) .......just a guess? ;)

Edited by Smokin49

With the 2006 USRA Truck rules, I'd rather run a 305. They changed several of the rules and you could get alot of HP out of the 305. If the crate motor hasnt been tampered with our springs changed it wont run with the 305, if you maximize the rules to your advantage.

With the 2006 USRA Truck rules, I'd rather run a 305. They changed several of the rules and you could get alot of HP out of the 305. If the crate motor hasnt been tampered with our springs changed it wont run with the 305, if you maximize the rules to your advantage.

I agree. Terry has said trucks will be on the crate next year and that makes me sad. Takes away part of building an engine and the 305's can be made to put out more power than the crate 350. But that's only half of it, there are some good drivers in the trucks and unless you can just flat out run them on the straightaway you got to out drive them no matter the engine.

The good things about crate engines and I know that's why everyone's going with em is they are cheap. 305's need work to out do a 350 and that costs money.

mraracing: You can check the USRA forum here on TXSZ; in their classifieds, or maybe RaceParksAuction.com might have one listed, haven't looked lately.

*revised:

On the engine issue: I spoke with Terry (Sat afternoon) and he informed me that making the crate motor for the trucks the designated engine is only a 50/50 chance as it stands now and any decision will be made based upon car count. Still, I'm building a 302, and have about $10k invested in Ford engines / transmissions & parts. How will going to crate motors exclusively help this series? Making the crate 350 the "exclusive" engine for the USRA truck series would be a bad move In My Opinion. The diversity will be gone, and the truck series some of us have come to love will be gone. The great low budget, high class, professional series that you can "run as a hobby out of your back pocket" will be gone. The crate engine will cost me (the little guy) more in the long run. To "do it right" I would have to shell out out $7k for 2 engines, buy 2 transmissions, get driveshafts made, etc. If I blow a head gasket in this crate engine; I have to pull the engine, take it to the designated rebuilder, put the other engine in. If I blow a head gasket in my 302, I pull the heads at the shop w/ the engine still in the truck & replace them. Saves time, & money to keep doing it the way I have been. The only thing crate motors fix is the tech inspection department, there doesn't have to be much of one.

Before the season started, I had numerous conversations & was assured the Fords & Dodges would be helped out this season by a few minor rules changes to help make them a little more competetive in the HP department. There were some minor changes and those results have yet to be seen. Crate engines would also keep new commers from actually learning what makes the engine run, how to fix them, & how to make them better. Instead, it's going to be: make sure it has oil & water & if your toy breaks, take it to the guy who fixes broke things & say "Fix it", here's the moola.

Smokin49: The HP difference between the crate 350 and the Ford 302 is substantial. I've spoken with a couple of different engine builders who built engines for ARTS when the rule was only: 302, 305, 318. Their data stated they never got over 320 HP out of the 302. 30 HP is 30 HP my friend. Comparable engine combinations just make sense 302/305/318 OR 350/351/360. Of course this is w/o trying it w/ the new cam rule.

arts22: I agree, the most important thing is how you get through the turn. However, when you don't complete the pass in the middle or exiting the turn, you can't on the straightaway..... not enough HP. This is strictly my experience w/ the 302 vs. 350 crate. Again, cam.

People on shoestring budgets most likely build and rebuild their own engines using the parts they have at their disposal. These guys are the guys mid-pack on back who scrimp & save to make a race. These guys are the guys USRA NEEDS to come to the track or you'll have only your top 10 points guys showing up by mid-season.

I'll sit for now & wish the best of luck to everybody doing the weekly & traveling series grinds. Ya'll are true troopers, keep it up!

Jr

-------------------------------------

3 racecars, 1 racetruck sitting quietly in their garages.....

Edited by Lonesome Ford

John I'm glad I don't keep your hours! :D

Does anyone have scales I could set my truck up on? I know I'm light but I don't have any way of telling how much. I'll bring my truck to you, just wanted to know if someone could help me out. I live in Buda and so does the truck.

Cameron Moore

John I'm glad I don't keep your hours! :D

Does anyone have scales I could set my truck up on? I know I'm light but I don't have any way of telling how much. I'll bring my truck to you, just wanted to know if someone could help me out. I live in Buda and so does the truck.

Cameron Moore

Cameron,

Let me make a call. You can bring it by Friday, it will have to be early. We have to be at SAS by 2:30pm...

I talked with Terry just a few minutes ago regarding the discussions about a requirement for crate motors in the USRA Trucks. Terry firmly stated that he never said that the Trucks would have to run crate engines next year.

Terry said they we would look at the car (truck) count around mid-season and evaluate whether anything needs to be changed for next year. If the count is good, he sees no reason to change the rule to require crate engines.

Again, rumors are just rumors, and I hope we've clarified the issue. As always, if in doubt or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to give either Rick (210-827-4524) or Terry a call.

We're currently shooting for May 6th, but if someone spots me some tires LOL :lol: I could make the April 15th race in Kyle. It's a possibility & we'll get to see how much the new cam rule will help. <fingers crossed>