The best years of racing at sas

USRA23TRUCK

well from what i can remember there was a good car count every weekend. and my dad would always take me, that is what made it special. i am 27 now and look back at the fun times me and my dad had. now he is to busy to go with me to the races. calvin

yeah it would definitely have to be the mid 80's........back in the day of the super late models and the super street stocks.........back when john kelly and rick rapp and john meyers used to duke it out.........those were the good ole days for sure........i think that is around the time that joe horn ran the track, and there was always a good size crowd and crowded pits..........

Indeed! I've gone back over the past week or so and watched a lot of the 1984-1987 seasons and I'd say there were no less than 15 cars per class and standing room only on most nights. I remember we had to get to the track early (for fans) so we could get our regular seats which just under the Bendele's. If you didn't get there early, there'd be no telling where you'd sit. hehe I remember cheering for Larry in the superstocks & then dad in the lates. Does anyone Remember??? ...The Beer Garden & the Pee-Wee Pits? Ahhh the good ole' days. LOL :lol:

i remember them very well john..........gary chappell, junior cambell, larry bendele, john kelly, hagy, ken neal jr, pat lane on fire going down the back stretch, terry barden hitting the tire that surrounded the light pole.......a lot of memories from sas, and like you said the texas classic......there was a lot of cars and a lot of spectators in those days...........

Those were the days! I guess there's a bunch of us in our late 20's/early 30's that remember those days. My Mom used to scream for John Kelly! The stands always seemed packed back then. The city probably didn't have as much family recreation to offer back then, i.e. (Sea World, Fiesta Texas). It sure would be nice to see our track return to those glory days.

there were many times cars were stacked in the pits. folks had to park in the grassy areas in the turns.

even in muddy times it seemed like the supply of race cars was endless, but Austin ran on Friday nights back then and several of those guys came to SA on Saturdays to race. I remember Terry Brooks won the Street Stock title @ both places a couple of times during that span.

Archived