PAST CHAMPIONS

HORSEPOWER

I wish someone had kept notes on this subject.

I know that 1977 Terry Labonte was late model champion, and Steve Klestinec was sportsman champ, the only two classes run.

Slick was track champ in 1979. I think it was the year he ran the Gary Cheathem owned car, and if I remember right, it was Labonte's last short track car. I think this is the car Slick put over the turn one wall, the first driver out of the park, although this did not happen the title year.

Freddy Fryar was champ twice in his Nova, I wanna say about 80, 81.

Reithmeyer won two track titles in the 80's. One may have been '82.

I think Jerry Grant won a Super Stock title in the mid 80's driving Lee Machen's #81, And Terry Brooks won one or two titles around '83,'84 in the hobby class.

I know Kelly won a title or two, in the 80's.

Here's a deal--As I talk with people who were involved, I'll post them here.

This is incredible. I was just thinking about the same thing last week and wondered if some of you knew or could fill in the blanks in my memory banks.

77 - Terry Labonte

78 - Freddy Fryar (with like 19 out of 23 feature wins)

79 - Slick Yeomans (except he didn't win one of the greatest races ever run at HiWay 16, Labor Day '79 and Fryar passes Slick going into turn 3 and carries a fireball all the way to the flag. Nick says the nitrous got a little too hot to handle for ol' Freddy that night....right Nick?)

80 - Rick Rapp (Eddie Bierschwale won the Limiteds, Ervin Breiten the Thunders)

81 - ?? Not real sure although an 81 program I have has Tommy Davis ahead in the points on July 25th.

82 - ??

83 - Hubert "Bandit" Bean

84 - Is this the year Reithmeyer beat Kelly out by just a few on the last night of the season??

Don't know many of them after that. When we started running Bombers, I didn't pay much attention after that.

Hey FryarFan-

That race on labor day was great. Freddy dropped a valve going into three, and pushed the clutch in to coast through the corner, and layed back into it off four. Ended up at the top of turn two.

You might remember a couple weeks later he drove Waldo Harper's car and blew away the field.

I thought I remembered Rapp winning a title, but didn't know the year. It was probably when he drove Melvin Meyer's Blue #1 Nova. That Nova was purchased from Tony Fasulo, Freddy's Father in Law. You saw Freddy bring it over a couple times as a #48. It ended up in the old SA limited sportsman ranks before a guy in Arkansas restored it to it's original condition as a Chevelle. It was that before being reskinned to a Nova. Don't know where it is now.

In 84 Wally Garcia won the limited-late model title, Beaver won the super stock and I think the limited-late model class was canceled for the 85 season. History repeating itself?

That year the TROC was won by Freddy Fryar, followed by Leroy Farmer, Greg Davidson, and Slick Yeoman. My mom has the paper clip from the SA Light.

I found an 82 program and on July 24th, Reithmeyer was about 40 pts ahead of Eddie B., Bean, Kelly, and Tommy Davis. So, I think Reithmeyer bagged it in 82, I don't remember Eddie catching him.

Sure would be good to get this list complete and post it somewhere before we all forget it. Or get someone out at the speedway to do a "Past Champs" board with all of them on it.

And since ya said "San Antonio" and not just SAS or HiWay 16......how many out there can name some of the ol' Pan Am champs?? About the only I would take a guess at would be Glenn Schwabbe about 74-75 or so when he won just about every week in that gold and white #70 Camaro. Ricci Jr. probably won a couple of track champs after 16 opened.

Great topic...

Billy

Hey Bill-

I'm in contact fairly often with a lot of these names, and I am gonna compile a list of the names as I get them.

I think Pan-Am went something like this-

'74 Glenn Schwabe

'75 Leroy Brooks

'76 Bubba Storbeck

'77 Lucian Wallace (also Rookie of the Year)

'78 Ricci Ware JR

I'm going to do a list for San Antonio, Pan-Am, and Longhorn, and Corpus if I can get enough of the names. Most of the names listed are still involved in racing in one form or another, and I think I'll be able to get a pretty good list together.

Or, somebody might talk/email Trey or Ricci, Jr. and see if Dad still has some of the old info from Pan Am.

I bet he has some old stuff/lists somewhere in a box......like most of us.

Anybody on speaking terms with Ricci, Sr.???????

Billy

At the time I was putting the website for SAS together Bruce gave me a name of someone that he was planning to work with to do a book on the history of SAS and San Antonio racing or something to that extent... I wouldbe curious to see how far that went.... You would think that Mr. Sepich would have that information at the track somewhere too...

Bruce did put together a draft listing all the Bexar County race tracks from the turn of the cenutry on, I'm lucky enough to have a copy. Wouldn't mind seeing some kind of book about the area racing. Mean while, I'm still going to try to put together a listing of area track champions.

I know several regular readers out there have information that would be included in this project, such as names, classes and the year, and If you can post it here or email it to me, I'd appreciate it.

Steve jumg the current head scorer at SAS has a book with the most up to date and complete information on every race at the track on hwy 16.it's really intresting he as worked on it for years

Archived