Old Oak Hill Dirt Track

tqj3

TQ,

Archie Patton owned it. Ralph Hetz ran it. Lots of guys ran there. It was a 1/4 mi dirt track. What else do you want to know? Rodlea who posts on here might also know some more about it. I think they ran races there up until about '57 or so.

Then they converted it to the drag strip. It was on the west side of Williamson creek from Fredricksburg Road, (Hwy 290/ 71). It was just south and across the creek from that historic two story building (I guess its still out there.)

Junior Medlock probably also could tell you a lot about it.

In the racing history section............ "One for the Old-timers" ............... I mentioned my first encounter with Jud Larson. He raced there that night. That's where we went to watch him. Incidentially, he won the feature that night, driving for Ernest Stewart.

At the entrance to Motorola, northwest of the intersection of William Cannon and Hwy 71, is a small lake on the Motorola property. That was the location of the dirt track.

I remember seeing the remains of where it was, but it was shut down before I came to this area.

I remember the Corvette burning. It started with the fuel line, when the fuel and fire got on the front tire and started burning along with the fiberglass, there was no way to put it out - no fire extinguishers. Some guys went down to that creek in a '55 Chevy and started hauling water in a barrel trying to put out fire. They were too late. Other people put blankets on ground and piled dirt in them and threw on the fire. Still didn't put it out. Last thing I remember about the car is some guys picked up back end and a guy with lug wrench took racing slicks off. Only thing that was saved.

Way back in early days, on a Sunday afternoon you could watch horse races, dirt tracks (jalopies), and drag races all in one afternoon.

First time I went to dirt track was to watch my cousin, Paul Jett, race - probably about 1950-1951.

I can still remember the dirt flying. Spent many a Sunday evening at the old drag strip (outlaw track) operated with a flagman in the 60's. Lot of 409s, 413s, 55 Chevys. Lots of cheating and fistfights and lots of beer.

Speaking of Bryan drivers, Bryan had a dirt track about the same time located close to what is now the intersection of HWY 21 and FM 2818 (northwest side of town). I did not know that but a friend found some references to it in the library and we went out and actually walked the track about 1982 or so. You could clearly pick out the oval.. As I recall it probably folded up some time in the '50s as well..

I guess I missed out on the dirt track but my parents used to take us to the drag strip there. My dad would run a lavender ford wrecker and I think my mom worked the ticket booth a couple of times. We would go there, Little River and a dragstrip around the Round Rock area. I remember someone rolling their car at Oak Hill but I was a little too young to remeber what kind of car.

I just rememberd, my mother was the photo finish person at the horse track and another one further up on 71 close to where you turn to go to the lake..used to help her carry that big friggin camera to the start finish line...DAMN I'M OLD!!!!

Does anybody remember the "TEXAS TOAD"... green Rambler metropolitan with a V-8 and tires that stuck out... looked like a frog...man that thing was ugly, but it would run. and the "HORSE WITH NO NAME" pretty new Mustang fastback with a Chevy motor in it.

Edited by GUNDOG33