Joe Horne Racing Promotions

NeilTPS

Joe Horne Racing Promotions Holds 2005 Awards Dinner

By: Neil Upchurch (former track News Department)

On Saturday evening February 11, Joe Horne Racing Promotions, the former promoter and operator of a dirt located near Pleasanton on Interstate 37, held it’s 2005 Awards Dinner at the Little Red Barn Steak House in San Antonio, Texas. Approximately 85 invited guests attended the Awards Dinner and enjoyed Little Red Barn steak menu items.

Herb Shaw, President of the Texas Outlaw Modifieds served as the Master of Ceremonies. He delivered motivational remarks. He thanked Joe Horne and said “we thank Joe for all that he has meant to racing”.

The Awards Program was held in a private room and consisted of presentation of checks to 2005 racing season High Point winners and VP Fuel Contingency checks to eligible drivers during the 2005 racing season. Gary Hunter coordinated the awards dinner.

Trophies were presented to the first five in the Pure Stocks. Alan Torres was the Pure Division winner.

Trophies were presented to the first five in the Street Stock Division in which Randy Guzman was champion .

Trophies were presented to the first five in the Limited Late Model Division which was won by Gary Hunter.

Featured speakers included Joe Horne, the former Track Promoter and Frank Torres, the General Manager of the dirt track facility formally operated and promoted by Joe Horne.

Frank Torres addressed the attendees. He said “I want to thank Joe Horne for all he did during the two years he promoted the track”. He thanked the former employees and singled out several special and important persons who supported the track throughout it’s two years of operation. He presented appreciation plaques to Herb Shaw, Danny Webb, Jim Kennett and Gale Rose of Northside Ford. He also presented appreciation plaques to Chief Scorer Cassandra Hunter, Track Announcer Bill “Sarge” Masom and his son, Track Runner Anthony Gordon, Pit Steward and Points Administrator Richard Boyd, Spectator Gate Supervisor Aurora Rivas, Registrar Sharon Henley, IMCA Modified Technical Inspector Pete Henley, Pit Gate Supervisor Veronica Torres, Track Maintenance by James and Linda Meyers and Special Track Supporter Gary Swenson.

Gary Hunter presented Appreciation Plaques to Joe Horne and Frank Torres. He said “I present these plaques in behalf of all the drivers”. In accepting his award Frank Torres said , “I’m staying in San Antonio”.

Joe Horne concluded the Awards Dinner by addressing the gathering and saying, “I thank all racers and persons who we employed and who helped our racing operations during the two years I promoted the track”. He also said “this Awards Dinner completes our last business obligation regarding the dirt track located near Pleasanton on Interstate 37”. He concluded his remarks by saying, “we’ll be back in racing in the future".

The Awards Dinner concluded with a drawing in which more than 50 attendees were door prize winners.

Archived