Reply to Kathy

jp17

Hey JP,

I find this rather interesting what you said in an earlier post. So, are you saying that you would be racing for "nothing" if TSRS had not come along? That is what Houston pay's right? $0

I think I read somewhere that the big purse is part of the attracting of TSRS.

Also, I have to ask you kind of the same question you asked of me. How long have you been running a Late Model car? Why, have you not moved up to Romco where the really big money is at? (Thanks to Robert Mullins.)

Just wondering.

Kathy

THR Scoring

Man, I feel special. See what all I missed tonight by going out to the track.

I was not trying to be funny when I asked this question to Jeff Pollard. He asked me kind of the same question about cars running at THR and why not many have moved up to the LM class and I gave him my take on things (which is what he asked for).

So, I just asked him the same question.

Now I have to ask why I get a reply that consist of my own question?

:blink::blink::blink:

I'm confused.

Kathy,

It's clear by your tone that this is a matter that you take very personally and I respect that. I have been adamant in my defense of TSRS in this forum but you are well aware that our team and sponsors have demonstrated equally adamant support for THR, financial and otherwise, for several years. It would be easy to take offense to the thinly disguised hostility with which some seem to view TSRS but the bulk of what I have read so far is based on conjecture and emotion, not substance.

Is anyone reading the same information I am? THR's LM class was in trouble late last year, before TSRS was even thought of. If you take Houston cars out of the mix, last years car counts from mid August forward wouldn't vary much from what they are now.

To answer your questions:

"So, are you saying that you would be racing for "nothing" if TSRS had not come along?"

I’ve never listed winnings or lack thereof as a factor in our team’s choice of venue. If that were our motivation we'd have never come to THR in the first place. No complaints, the purse is very fair but staying home and racing for “free” would be less expensive than traveling to THR and racing for a purse. We obviously didn’t do that so it’s kind of a moot point.

"That is what Houston pay's right? $0"

One will never know. We never put together a package to present to the track and sponsors. Instead we joined TSRS.

"How long have you been running a Late Model car?"

Since THR told us our Houston street stocks were really late models in 1999. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight!

"Why, have you not moved up to Romco where the really big money is at? (Thanks to Robert Mullins.)"

Mostly money. Any resourceful THR street stock team could transition to a competitive THR LM program for 5-6 thousand dollars and incur only a moderate increase in weekly racing expense. I know first hand because we did it. For our team to move to the Romco Series would require a minimum 25K initial investment, our weekly expenses would skyrocket and we’d be competing against teams that regularly spend a hundred thousand and more to race each year. I can’t afford that.

JP

Very nice answer Jeff. I think that is all I was really looking for.

An honest answer. That is what I gave you too. I am not trying to be hostile on here at all. So much is being said it is a wonder that anyone can keep things straight anymore.

What did seem a little confusing is that Jeff posted my question on here to him without posting his own post on first like I did in the first thread that it was posted on. Man, that made alot of sense.

When I asked the question before I had his quote first and then my question. He didn't put his quote on the this thread. It kind of made me look like a bad guy.

And no Jeff, I don't take anything personally on here. If I did I would be a basket case. Which I'm not Thank Goodness.

I can be kind of blunt sometimes. But, that is just me. Just say what you have to say and go on. I'm an Aries what do you expect. LOL That is one thing me and Chuck have in common. He is real good at saying what he means too. LOL

:)

Now that we've gotten all that out of the way I have another question for you Kathy. What can be done to increase the The Kyle LM car counts? The track is a nice place, pays a more than fair purse and treats it's drivers well so the basics are pretty much covered. I'll start things off with this suggestion.

I enjoyed reading the registered drivers list from years past in an earlier post. I had forgotten some of those names and cars and it brought back a number of good memories. Why not try to get ahold of some of them? Hold a "Past Champions" event and offer free pit passes if they will bring some of those cars back out. If they're "recovering raceaholics" and decline at least get a line on the car itself. Thats a pretty big list of cars from years past and alot of them were nice iron that must be sitting around gathering dust somewhere. Would they bring their stuff out to the track and display it for sale? Three or four of those cars sitting in the tech building during the drivers meeting will definitely attract some attention.

JP

Jeff,

I am guessing that the list you looked at is the one Christy posted.

A lot of those drivers are still driving something somewhere. Some raced with us once or twice, some where in a borrowed car or a car that was maybe not fast enough to be in that class or a car that has now been junked, sold or who know what happened to it. And then some just registered and never raced.

What would they bring to race or show?

As it has been said on here before, money has a lot to do with it now days. Some people just don’t have the money anymore.

I will of course pass this suggestion on to Brian.

Ya'll have a Great 4th of July and please be safe.

Seem like there has been some feeling hurt here, anyone that post here has one thing in common we all love racing.Some race some dont but we all dedicate time and effort and get little help financialy or physicaly in return.The one thing that is common in all the posts are that no one seems to be happy with the state of racing in south Texas.Track owners are unhappy with car counts and the number of fans in the stands and the racers are unhappy with the purses, track owners ,car counts and the number of fans in the stands.We as competors and officals track owners and promoters have to quit fighting within our racing community. I dont know how many times I have heard someone out side the racing community aks a question and have a racer ,offical and even the track promoter end up talking about how screwed up things are.This type of complaining causes people to stay away from racing. when was the last time someone told you they went somewhere and had a bad time and it made you feel like you wanted to try it

I started a thread about what you would like to see at local tracks and only got six replies it sure seems that people like to complain more about the problems than to try and fix the problems.Lets try and help our tracks instead of cursing our tracks they are the only ones we have .I Have raced at SAS ,CC Speedway, and Thunder HIll Speedway the shows at these tracks are are all about the same I enjoy racing at all these facilities but the racing is all that they have and has made racing a huge part of my life. I want the sport that all of us enjoy to survive in south texas and o srvive we are al ging to have to change.put your ideas on this forum maybe some of them may end up at a texas speedway.

Hey Racerjim2,

I have been reading your post that you started and I really liked it and some of the ideas that where on there. I have beening talking to Brian about a couple of ideas.

One thing we have started is each week, we a pulling a name (a registered drivers name) out of a hat and giving them two pit passes for the next week of racing.

I know it is just a small thing-but hey we're trying. It will save them 42 to 44 dollars, depending on who they give them to.

I do agree also that alot of this bickering back and forth needs to stop. (I am guilty also) I never intended to sound that way though. Just responding to what some had asked or said. Either way though--I do agree. It needs to stop.

I'm sure the drivers appriciate the free passes keep up the good work! Just for fun I've added some Ideas to the speedway show thread none are new or really mine lol

Jeff,JP17 I dont know you but keep racing hope to see you the next time TSRS runs in S.A.Thanks for your input it shows you care about racing good luck

Jim C. #2 NLMS

Racerjim: Thanks for the kind words. We're really looking forward to coming back to SAS. We had a great time the last time we were there and the track is a blast to drive. Years ago I lived in New Braunfels and when the racing bug bit I spent a couple seasons hanging out in the pits at SAS trying to get someone to let me help out. I fetched food, tires and gas for a few guys but no one did much other than try to sell me an old race car. We're racing against them now and the best part is they don't remember me. JP

I think everything is cool! I mean fans nor drivers would be there at tracks doing that on their weekends if they didnt really love and enjoy it right!!! Fans go for entertainment, excitement, and the love for the sport. You will always have fans and support from them but new ideas and changes lure mpore and more in and they stay!!!!

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Hello everyone, hope you and your families had a wonderful 4th, we did! Just let me say THANK YOU for closing the last thread and thank you for starting this one, it seems much friendlier! I would just like to say a couple of things, the reason I said thank you for closing the last thread is that I think it had started to be an over kill, but I think that the overall thread was helpful in many ways... Some people's feelings were hurt at times, including mine, but I think there was a lot learned from some of the points. I feel that it has only improved TSRS and by improving TSRS, it helps the tracks, one at a time. Because we can only be one place at a time. TSRS has some of the most incredible drivers in Texas. The crews, their families are all so professional and so appreciative of this series as this series is of them. Yes, there was a place for the LLM to run, at THR, but not SAS or HMS. Now, there is! Not only that, these drivers, crews and families can now do other family activities and still be competitive in a series. They can be better, Fathers & Mothers and still have a sport, a sport that we all love. When we and other touring series visit these tracks, we bring some new fans to them and yes, we may have even taken a few, but it all comes back around. I think that most track owners/promoter/general managers would agree, they make their money on the touring series and loose it trying to keep racing going for the local loyal racers and race fans. Again, I thank each of you that contributed to the last thread and this one, it has been truly helpful, the good and negative. It only critics us and we can all use a little of that at times! We have already, as a team started discussing ways to improve TSRS by some of the input, but sorry you can not change our desire as a team and a series to entertain and to dress well! LOL

Thanks!

:wub:

Actually the thead that was closed was one of the most productive threads in the history of TSZ. LOTS of great ideas were sprinkled in with the "almost bashes" and negativism.

This site is almost like a brainstorming session. Lots of ideas get thrown out, some good (mine) and some not so good (yours) LOL... just kidding about the not so good part.. lol

Anyway, Mike Sepich has also mentioned that this site has been a "must read" for him and I know that other series and track officials keep up with what's going on.

There will ALWAYS be the negative element that just has to try to make him/herself look big by making others look little, but on the whole I think we have done a fair job of keeping the bashing down and the postitive up!

Nick Holt

Archived