PAS Quiz

see86go

A driver from far west Texas came to race at Pan American Speedway in 1976. Because it was his first race, by PAS track rule, he was required to start "scratch".

He was one of the best Texas drivers, he was later to be a track owner.

He called home, Odessa.

He was a gentleman.

Unfortunately he died November 22, 2002.

His name was..............................

John Foster.

Neil Upchurch

oatey220 "Neil, didnt he and Bubba Storbech battle for the victory that night?"

I don't remember. Bubba was a "hot shoe" at PAS and such a battle was likely.

see86go "I believe the next time John Foster raced in S.A. was at Hwy. 16 Raceway on opening night, and he won at least one of the twin features that night - possibly both."

I was the track announcer during the first two years. I was doing PA that first night in August of 1977. I don't recall if John Foster raced in the initial Highway 16 event, but he did run in subsequent races. What I do vividly recall was the night that his #99 Camaro rear spoiler was judged illegal and was forceably removed, by hand on the starting line by a Chief track official, .

Neil Upchurch

didnt he and Bubba Storbech battle for the victory that night?

I believe the next time John Foster raced in S.A. was at Hwy. 16 Raceway on opening night, and he won at least one of the twin features that night - possibly both.

Storbeck was about the only one who could run with Foster, and Storbeck's night ended in the turn 1 wall.

Don, your Uncle Harold was Bubba's crew chief that year, (1976) and they won the points championship.

And Foster won both features the opening night at Hwy 16 in August, 1977.

somebody tell me why I can remember that Bean drove that car one night 20years ago and I cant remember what I had for supper last night?????

My family wonders the same thing. I can remember something from 30 years ago, but I can't remember what it was that my wife said I promised to do from a couple days ago.

Maybe selective memory?!

I'm not actually remembering who all these people are - I wrote their names on the backs of the photos abput 30 years ago :D

I'm in the same boat, Don, I can remember tire pressures from 10 years ago but my wife has to remind me to take out the trash every week.

• 1 year later...

Archived