PAS Mini Stocks

see86go

Here are a few photos I located. The first is the 6-wide Drivers' Salute. The yellow car on the pole is Gary Banks, #91 Pete Wright, #20 ? (Bruce Mabrito or Johnny Ivy?), #11 Robin McCall, #17 Neil McCorvey and #1? (Bob Pelton?)

minisalute.jpg

Craig,those are fantastic photos,and what memories that 6 wide salute brings back,like I said being a big fan of the vw's,I really enjoy seeing the bug of Neil McCorvy and the Karmann Ghias being raced,I guess most of the cars cut off their front fenders after they had been smashed up to much,and look at Neil in the bug with his arm resting out the window,(I guess the didnt require window nets back then)Thanks again and I cant wait to see any other pictures you have...Randy

Here are a few photos I located. The first is the 6-wide Drivers' Salute. The yellow car on the pole is Gary Banks, #91 Pete Wright, #20 ? (Bruce Mabrito or Johnny Ivy?), #11 Robin McCall, #17 Neil McCorvey and #1? (Bob Pelton?)

Yes that's Bobby Pelton. He and his brother Jerry built winning VW sedans and Karmann Ghia's for many years until it became obvious that the 2300 Ford was the way to go.

Nick Holt

I guess most of the cars cut off their front fenders after they had been smashed up to much,

Actually, if you look closely, it appears that they built them that way.

If you remember, the last year of Pan American, 1978, they allowed the Late Models and the Mini Stocks to take off the front fenders, sorta like a modified. That is the case here.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Kenny (46) and that pinto started out with a 1600.

He sold it to Dub Hamilton (Dub used to work for my Dad)Dub put a2 liter in it then built a new pinto for Bobby Pelton to drive. Then

the car was sold to guy from Alice. I bought it the next year, raced

it alot . When Pan Am went under, I parked it out back with the other

two mini-stocks I owned and they are still sitting there today.

This is a good group shot from Aug. 13 "77

#78 Mike Knotts

#20 Bruce Mabrito

#31 John Yates

#17 Neal McCorvey

#16 Paul Chekanski

#11 Jerry Pelton

and just the nose of my #25 Fiat driven by Darrel Bass

I owned the 78 11 & 25 then later bought the 31.

I used to earn $90 a week working at my dads shop. The prize

money from my race cars earned me more than that. I figured if

got another race car I could afford to quit my job.

My dad didn't agree.

Mike,

You mentioned a guy from Alice, Texas buying a car, then you buying it. If you look at your picture with the white #31 Pinto, in it, it is John Yates from Alice, Texas. His familyy owned a Ford dealership down there. We all last saw John Yates in the early 80's at Hwy 16 in a Ford Mustang late model he bought fron Slick Yoemans.

This Bug #11 racing against #20. The 11 is driven by Jerry Pelton and the 20 is Bruce Mabrito. Jerry volunteered to drive this car for me and I was trying to sell it. We figured it would sell easier if it raced. We put an engine out of a customers car in it. ( Put the engine back in Sun. afternoon) Trouble is we had no seat belts for it. Jerry sez "No Problem, lets use the rachet tie down strap!" Wrapped it around him about 7 or 8 times and cranked it down and he raced like that. A guy in the stands heard Trey on the P.A. say the car was for sale and bought it that nite (with no motor) Never saw it again.

This picture got some water damage years ago. Wiped out a whole album of racing photos. This is a photo of the 4 wide driver salute . Cars #25, 7,16, & 17. We raced in our favorite T- shirt, no window nets, no fuel cells and U.S.A.F. surplus seat belts. Check out the crowd!

Archived