More ASALMS Tidbits

SASPEEDRACER24

I find the entire article interesting, and I like what he says.

Here is a statement I found in it that stands out.....

but at the same time we realize that the days of the unique, one off car is gone. Many believe it was the car and motor combination that was the ultimate demise of the series!

The beauty of the ASA Late Model itself is our car is compatible to so many others that if you choose not to run with our series, you can change the motor and go run the same car somewhere else.

Damn, How long have some of us around here been saying the same thing??

Q5. With 13 events scheduled in the ASALMS Challenge Division, with one non-points event, 10 events are to be televised, plus the non-points event is also televised; What facilities will not get the TV coverage and why?

A5. Originally it was 10 events that were going to be televised, We purchased two more shows to bring that number to 12. Yes there are 13 events scheduled, however San Antonio will not be televised as this was agreed upon in advance. Also the All American event at Nashville (Music City Motorplex) in November is on all of the schedules, North, South, and Challenge. We decided to televise that event to give the North and South teams some television exposure.

This one is for all the poeple who have no money in their entertainment budget for cookie cutter racing!

Q8. How does the template body/crate engine package and the ASALMS concept overall even up the competition and take away the “out-dollaring the competition” aspect of it and how else is the competition evened up to where the only way a driver is going to beat someone on the race track is by their driving ability?

A8. Well the ABC bodies make it so everyone has the same Aero package and the engines dictate that everyone has the same horsepower, then we put price limitations on brakes, shocks and transmissions. It doesn't matter if you have one million dollars or one thousand dollars, everyone essentially has the same parts. It comes down to handling and driver ability, the way racing should be and NOT who can out spend who. :D

"noclutch", What kind of point are you still trying to make? The ASALM series is just that, their own series with there own set of rules. There are several other series that do not have crates or have combination that do include them and the locals at SAS can run either or, so we should see cars all over the track. Are you trying to warn us not to go watch this race because it's like watching a train. This will be a one race event and I hope you go out and support your local area race tracks, unless Soul Train is on. Are you not the same guy who suggested starting a Country Club Racing thing with the area tracks? I thought you were in support of keeping local racing alive. Comparing Malibu go-karts to these ASALM machines, we should expect 16 rows of two-wide racing for 200 laps with no one passing each other or falling back single file, because they are all equal, and it doesn't matter what kind of talent is behind the wheel at over 120 mph.

It looks like racing is going to all cookie cutter cars. This should make it easy for Nabisco to come on board as a sponsor. The days of racing being a sport at the local level is gone. It has made the transition from a competitive sport to a recreational activity. In the short term, you may get some new blood because it is something new. The fans in the stand will not increase with the cookie cutter cars anyone can have for a few bucks. To me, it is no different that going to Malibu Grand Prix with your friends on Saturday night to see who is the lucky one to have the fastest lap. How proud can you be in something someone else built?

This post has been edited by noclutch on Dec 22 2005, 08:13 AM

Can you get a hold of Nabisco, bet the our local tracks are looking for more sponsorship.

Oh by the way, I bet that young 14 year-old kid that won the Snowflake at Five Flags is not that all proud of his accomplishments, because he didn't build that engine.

What percentage of racers build their own engines?

TD and crew and all the other tracks, take notice this guy has all the answers.

noclutch

It is cookie cutter racing.Im not saying that its bad racing, but it is cookie cutter.Anytime you have everybody running the same cars the same engines what else is it. heck you might as well paint them all black .Im still waiting to see the car counts, still wondering were there going to come from haven't heard any new people coming into the new series because of the cookie cutter rules.I might have to eat my words one of these days but tell me how a bunch of under powered stock sounding race cars and I use that term lightly are going to put race fans in the stands.

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have used red. :rolleyes: I don't think anyone on here takes this stuff seriously, except the ones that delete our post, they try to keep things positive. :huh: A lot of us just say things on here to get things going, topics are sometimes boring on here, especially when there is no racing going on, you just beat me to the punch about taking stuff too serious.

The ASA cars should sound just as loud as the USRA SLM's, if not louder, even though you can hear the difference between them. I wish the SLM's would get rid of the mufflers, so we can hear some thunder like the old days. That's funny, Thunder Hill took away the "thunder". :)

it intresting what you may while picking up a few parts at your local raceparts dealer in SA, they didnt even know i was listening but heard that a team from SA who thinks there shouldnt be a crate engine in a SLM went or is going to HMP to get not 1 but 2 new GM Crate engines. Maybe someone can elborate some on this issue for us. WHats your plans surely your not going to race with these engines are you?

Archived