San Antonio Speedway!

HORSEPOWER

I know at one time on this board we talked about SAS history. It had things like old track champions, famous names of racers who have raced here in the past, track records, big events, etc. Was wondering if all that info is still available. They can add that to the SAS website when it is updated in the future. Would be nice for anyone who visits the site.

I thought it was said that he (Terry Labonte) was Track Champ one year... Also Wally Dalenbach's wife, Robin Mc Call raced there... I talked with her in Fontana this year. They (her & Wally) were talking about maybe getting their son a truck or maybe something else to run locally... I think she said their son runs midgets...

HP

There is a long long list of legands that have raced at SAS in the past. Im sure the names will start showing up on here as soon as txtom, Nick, Upchurch, etc read this. My cousin, John Rezek, is one that belongs on the list. Another is Mr John Kelly. Don Fowler goes way back. Ricci Ware Jr was another great in my book. This list will grow very fast Im sure. Lets see who shows up on the list as well as some stats.

Wally wife's maden Name was Robbin Mccall raced superlate models ,All Pro, and some Winston Cup also raced in some road race series with some good finishes.Has recorded a few poles in All Pro

Steve Jung had compiled a list of all SAS champions last year. I have a copy of the list, and I will try to find some time next week to post the information on the SAS and TSZ websites. And, yes, Terry Labonte was champion the first year.

And, yes, Terry Labonte was champion the first year.

I just had dinner this evening with the OTHER track champion that first year in 1977.

Labonte was the Late Model Champ, who was the Sportsman champ I had dinner with?

Man, I remember that race that Donnie Allison won. He was in the #22 Miller car right? He looked "wore out" after that one! Ahhh good ole "Hi-way 16 Raceway" "When the greenflag drops, the &^!!$#!* stops!"

Edited by Lonesome Ford

I noticed where Rusty Wallace is scheduled for a guest appearance at the San Antonio Autorama. I know I'm going to rush right down there to see him! ..........................NOT!

Seriously though, things like the Autorama provide excellent venues for exposure of our sport to the general public. I'd like to see SAS/USRA/TXSZ with a booth down there, with a couple of cars on display. They're actually pretty reasonably priced. I'd like to see TXSZ down there with a scanner so racers who do not have access to them could bring their photos down there to be scanned.

Edited by Budman

Hey Budman, I knew it was intentional. I know you are familiar with a lot of the great racing of the past. You are right it is working!!! ;)

When I clicked on my name and checked all my post out, I clicked on the last post and the topic shows former champs and txtom answer to his question.

These are some old threads with interesting conversations.

http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=112

http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=155

http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=322&hl=

Yeah HP,

And................ there's a good story behind it too. Several years ago I had a PC, before there WAS a TXSZ. Then my youngest son took my PC off to college with him. It was several years before I got around to replacing it, which I finally did last Feb.

In the mean time, I got a really great Christmas present, just before Christmas. I had the honor of attending his college graduation! He's the last one. Congratulations to my wife and I ......................................... Oh, and to my son too! :D

The answer to your question is of course Steve Klestinec.

You got it, Buddy.

Steve is a very close friend of mine; he, my father, and I are my regular Snowball group.

Wally wife's maden Name was Robbin Mccall raced superlate models ,All Pro, and some Winston Cup also raced in some road race series with some good finishes.Has recorded a few poles in All Pro

Robin is a MacArthur High School grad, I believe she graduated in 81 or 82. The school has sure changed a lot in the last 25 years. Wally & she were at Thunderhill a couple of months ago, with their son and grandpa (Wally Sr.), testing a couple of Allison Legacy cars. Wally Jr. and Robin both took practice laps in one of Bob Riley's cars and were lapping under the then track record. Kyle has since reset the mark a tad better.

Mel