Paul Jett

rodlea

Saw Paul back in the summer and he gave me this picture taken in 1960 at Austin Speed O Rama. The car was built by Ernest "Tubby" Stewart of Austin. Sponsored by old Austin Motel on South Congress in Austin. Stewart's family owned the Austin Motel at that time. On the passenger side door was labeled "Brand X" (no number). Car was 1938 Chevy powered by 6 cylinder, car had distinctive sound - like a bumble bee (due to something rigged on the exhaust, I think). It was maroon on bottom with yellow top. Gilbert Wallace owned this car later on. Paul won many heat races and features in this car. Paul raced numerous types of cars throughout his career. He raced modifieds, trans am, formula type, Nascar, TIDA. Paul was from San Antonio area and still lives there. He's now 75. He won the first heat race at the new track in 1960 at Speed O Rama driving Waldo Harper's #1. Will do another post with picture to show you what he's racing now.

post-30-1134002825_thumb.jpg

Paul is now traveling all over the US racing this dragster lawnmower. This is not your ordinary lawnmower! Everything on it is handmade, built in his shop. Slicks on rear and wheely bars. Check out the homemade headers. Powered by highly modified Honda. Has a motorcycle carbuerater.

post-30-1134004747_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...
Paul is now traveling all over the US racing this dragster lawnmower. This is not your ordinary lawnmower! Everything on it is handmade, built in his shop. Slicks on rear and wheely bars. Check out the homemade headers. Powered by highly modified Honda. Has a motorcycle carbuerater.

Paul Jett is what got me looking at this site. Late 50's/ Early 60's my dad had 2 cars. A no 6 driven by Jodie (don't recall his last name) and sometimes by Buggs Stevens. I think some of those Air Force guys had to run under fake names to keep Uncle Sam from getting on their case.

But mostly I remember a 55 Checker Cab Chevy that was car no 53. It was car 53 since I was 5 (almost 55 years ago) and my sister was 3. Paul not only drove the car, but he was also the builder, mechanic and it might have had APCO Glass on the the back. They raced at Pan American and everyonce in a while we'd go to Corpus.

I might have been in college when I remember Paul and my dad talking about pulling the cams and brazing the lobes and then hand filing the cam. I also remember they had like a 53 vette exhaust manifold since it had duals.

I worked the fire crew at Texas World when Paul had his 72 Holman-Moody Torino and even though one of the websites says he spun out, what actually happened is 4 of the 5 lugs on the left front broke. Over a few cold ones, Paul told my dad he's going to have to the the XXX Heavy duty since those XX H-D lugs that cost $16 each didn't seem to do the trick.

The last time I say Paul race at TxWorld, he had the cleanest (his cars, haulers were always immaculate) Chevette in the Sedan class. All those B210 or whatever's couldn't keep up with him. Now that was probably 26-28 years ago.

I need to find a picture or 2 of that car and see if I can get them posted. Thanks for the site, it brings back great memories.

Welcome aboard. You'll find a lot of history stuff here if you look back through all the stuff. Please post any pics you might have or even some stories if you can. If you have any questions on how to post the pics please feel free to ask (its real easy).

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Jett is what got me looking at this site. Late 50's/ Early 60's my dad had 2 cars. A no 6 driven by Jodie (don't recall his last name) and sometimes by Buggs Stevens. I think some of those Air Force guys had to run under fake names to keep Uncle Sam from getting on their case.

But mostly I remember a 55 Checker Cab Chevy that was car no 53. It was car 53 since I was 5 (almost 55 years ago) and my sister was 3. Paul not only drove the car, but he was also the builder, mechanic and it might have had APCO Glass on the the back. They raced at Pan American and everyonce in a while we'd go to Corpus.

I might have been in college when I remember Paul and my dad talking about pulling the cams and brazing the lobes and then hand filing the cam. I also remember they had like a 53 vette exhaust manifold since it had duals.

I worked the fire crew at Texas World when Paul had his 72 Holman-Moody Torino and even though one of the websites says he spun out, what actually happened is 4 of the 5 lugs on the left front broke. Over a few cold ones, Paul told my dad he's going to have to the the XXX Heavy duty since those XX H-D lugs that cost $16 each didn't seem to do the trick.

The last time I say Paul race at TxWorld, he had the cleanest (his cars, haulers were always immaculate) Chevette in the Sedan class. All those B210 or whatever's couldn't keep up with him. Now that was probably 26-28 years ago.

I need to find a picture or 2 of that car and see if I can get them posted. Thanks for the site, it brings back great memories.

Welcome aboard. You'll find a lot of history stuff here if you look back through all the stuff. Please post any pics you might have or even some stories if you can. If you have any questions on how to post the pics please feel free to ask (its real easy).

Bug Stevens, his real name was Carl Bergman, ran his first race at Old Pan American Speedway on Austin Hiway in 1957 while in Air Force, went on to three time Nascar Modified Champion 1967,68,69, Alan Dillard was another Air Force Guy

Bugs_Stevens_Biography.htm

Saw Paul back in the summer and he gave me this picture taken in 1960 at Austin Speed O Rama. The car was built by Ernest "Tubby" Stewart of Austin. Sponsored by old Austin Motel on South Congress in Austin. Stewart's family owned the Austin Motel at that time. On the passenger side door was labeled "Brand X" (no number). Car was 1938 Chevy powered by 6 cylinder, car had distinctive sound - like a bumble bee (due to something rigged on the exhaust, I think). It was maroon on bottom with yellow top. Gilbert Wallace owned this car later on. Paul won many heat races and features in this car. Paul raced numerous types of cars throughout his career. He raced modifieds, trans am, formula type, Nascar, TIDA. Paul was from San Antonio area and still lives there. He's now 75. He won the first heat race at the new track in 1960 at Speed O Rama driving Waldo Harper's #1. Will do another post with picture to show you what he's racing now.

Didn't Paul have a old Hudson Coupe when they ran the six's at Old Pan American? it had a Hudson Hornet 6 and it would fly, some one else had one also don't recall his name.

• 1 month later...

Paul Jett was also a really good road racer. He won the main event several years at the Austin Aqua Fest road races in his Lotus sports racer in the early 60's. I even remember seeing him run third in a race at the Austin Raceway Park finishing behind a McLaren and a Lola with chevy v-8s. His Lotus had a 4 cylinder engine.

• 1 month later...

Paul Jett

Recovering from colon surgery

Paul Jett is recovering from colon surgery in which a malignant tumor was successfully removed on Monday, July 2nd at the North Central Baptist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

Paul has requested that phone calls not be made to his hospital room due to the distant location of the phone in his room, but rather when expects to be discharged, to his home phone (830/980-2900) after his return on or about Monday, July 9th. Paul is pleased to note that he has now beaten cancer twice.

Paul Jett is well known nationally and state-wide as a long time race car driver in a number of classes and divisions ie:

NASCAR Winston Cup in the #72 Ford Torino at Texas World Speedway

SCCA Trans-AM National Road Racing Series in the “Handy Andy” Camaro

Various southwest tracks where drove modifieds, sprint cars and midgets

Three time NASCAR Modified Champion 1967, 1968 and 1969

Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

SCCA Modified Sports Cars in a Lola with Chevy V-8 and a Lotus with 4 cylinder engine

A Hudson six cylinder Coupe at the Old Pan American Speedway in San Antonio

Texas Pro Sedan Series in the #2 Chevette and lastly in the #50 VW Rabbit at CC Speedway in 2010

National Lawn Mower Dragster Series

This article approved by the Jett family and was written by:

Neil Upchurch -

Founder and Retired Former Driver

Race & Administrative Director Texas Pro Sedans

This is an update on Paul Jett’s medical status as of Saturday, July 7th.

Paul Jett had developed pneumonia, and was treated with antibiotics in the Intensive Care Unit at the North Central Baptist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

Paul is now out of ICU and back in a regular hospital room. His doctor is still continuing to treat the pneumonia and the surgeon is monitoring his abdomen area for activity. He is not in the best of moods with all the tubes he has attached to him, but he is very determined to go home soon. When he changed rooms on Friday evening, he walked himself to the new room and would not ride in a wheelchair.

The family will keep LSSZ readers updated on his condition.

This update post was approved by Paul Jett’s daughter Carol and was written by:

Neil Upchurch - Founder and Retired Former Driver, Race & Administrative Director Texas Pro Sedans & Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedwa

................................................................................

This was an update on Paul Jett's medical status as of Monday, July 5th.

Paul Jett has developed pneumonia, and it is being treated with antibiotics.

His doctor has moved him into an Intensive Care Unit at the North Central Baptist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas. The move is in order to improve hospital staff monitoring of him.

It is expected that he will remain in ICU until Friday, July 6. Paul Jett will then return to his regular hospital room, have visits from a physical therapist to get him up and moving. Doctors have told the Jett family that Paul will likely be in the hospital for at least another 4-5 days and hopefully will go home next Monday or Tuesday.

Readers of this post wanting to send a get-well card, Paul’s mailing address is:

33175 Smithson Valley Road, Bulverde, Texas 78163.

Paul Jett’s e-mail address is jett@gvtc.com

The family will keep LSSZ readers updated on his condition.

Neil Upchurch

Founder and Retired Former Driver, Race & Administrative Director Texas Pro Sedans & Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

The Jett family wants to let everyone know that Paul was released from the North Central Baptist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas and sent home today (July 10, 2012)

To convince the doctors that he had recovered from colon surgery and a subsequent bout with pneumonia, he spent the past few days making laps around the hallways with his wife Caroline, his three daughters, grandchildren and a great granddaughter, who kept him moving. After enduring almost 10 days in the hospital the Jett family is resting and enjoying the comforts of home.

Paul Jett and the entire Jett family extend their sincere thanks to all readers of Lone Star Speedzone who have expressed their best wishes for Paul’s speedy recovery.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the Jett family invites anyone to send cards or e-mails to Paul as he rests and recovers at his home.

Readers of this post wanting to send a get-well card, Paul’s mailing address is:

33175 Smithson Valley Road, Bulverde, Texas 78163.

Paul Jett’s e-mail address is jett@gvtc.com

Neil Upchurch,

Founder and Retired Former Driver

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

TIDA-LM Series

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Didn't Paul have a old Hudson Coupe when they ran the six's at Old Pan American? it had a Hudson Hornet 6 and it would fly, some one else had one also don't recall his name.

Paul Jett and Cotton Sherland were the drivers of those Hudson Terraplane Coupes.

Paul got them from Roy Alexander, and anyone who has been around San Antonio racing knows of Roy and A-OK Auto parts. Roy's son R.L was a track champion as SAS. Paul had gone to Roy looking for a Ford to build, Roy gave Paul an option; He would sell Paul a Ford, or give him the Hudsons. Paul took what turned out to be a damn good deal.

The Hudsons were so fast, Paul and the cars were eventually banned from Pan American (Austin Highway).

Here is Jett with His Hudson.

post-21-1346948768.jpeg

Archived