pay day

honda 46

Crt i will kinda of disagree with the cost of building a ministock vs superstreet. Motor wise if you ask me it all depends on how fast you wann go. With minis no motor rules so if you have the money to build one then a mustang or pinto is gona cost alot more to build motor wise than a superstreet. Reason being you can only do so much with a ss motor. Chevy parts are very cheap at cost wise. Now on the other hand ss cost more on set up. Your able to buy race springs and shocks and all that good stuff. The ss maybe a bit more but not by much at all. If ask me there just more of a pain in the a$$ cause they always need work.

Jason,I also would like to know what happened to all the V8 cars.The only way to know is to find them and ask them.Lots of times its about not feeling important to the program.We all see and hear from the top 5 or so teams but see little about the rest of the field.We hear a lot about how lap cars cause so many problems,but the only real problem they cause is if they dont show up.You never hear from these guys,they just leave.Is funny really when you think about it,racings future depends not on the "heros" but rather on the new,underfunded,inexperienced, or not quite there yet teams which is the majority of the car counts.I have been on both sides and its easy to quit when you do your best and dont get respect for your efforts.It doesnt take much effort to complement a team and it means a lot.You want car counts?Work on 6th back and see what they need.Maybe more start money,more notarity,some time with a microphone,a few photos on the walls,some interviews etc.EVERY TEAM DESERVES RESPECT and there is a place for everyone.We are all of equal importance to the SHOW.Premadanas are a big turn off. Thumper

AMEN brother GB AMEN!!!

well crew cheif it depends if you go out and buy the alum head for the 2300 then yea . but down here you dont really need that. when i built my mustang i had about 1000 dollars in the rolling chasis and in the motor the power is in the head its more a matter of knowing what to have machined and how much. now i do know people that have spent over 10,000 dollars building a mini stock but i had less than 2000 dollars in mine and it was a very competative car finished in the top three two years i ran it and when i sold it to lalo he won the championship in it

Not downing anyone car but now the minin are way faster than they were then. Look at Gb a 16.12 And my best time was a 16.33. Those times are on street tires.And the heads i had have a an esslinger cast iron head and it cost right at $2500. Just tryin to say if you wanna be fast in the minis you gotta spend money or your just gonna get lapped15 times in a 20 lap race.

In 1995 GB held the track record at 15.90. My Opel GT was 3rd fastest with a 16.06.This was on Towel City retreads 185/70's,32/36mm Weber carb & 1lb. per cc.This was our 3rd full season & at that time had $3500 into it. That was starting with nothing but a rusty but running car. The Mustang I have now is the former #22 Zac Zearfoss [hope I got that right]dirt car.Bought it in 04 for $1500 & spent $600 on tires,header &other parts.Spent another $1000 in 05 on wheels,tires,body & suspension parts but still had stock short block/flywheel/clutch with modified head/7200 rpm hyd. roller cam & 350 Holley. Time trial=17.08 but raced better than time would indicate.Added race ready engine purchased from ex-racer,just missing last race of the year.Tested on Night of Destruction & ran mid 16's without any adjustments.Looking foward to 2006 with plans to be at CC SPEEDWAY every week with a competitive car.Should look wilder than last year! BTW,now have est. $6000 invested.More expensive because many parts available!

crew chief the first year i built my car we stated time trails david horton ran a 16.02 and i quialified at a 16.03 i the first race david and i ran side by side door handle to door handle for 9 1/2 laps before i pulled him for the win . and that is with a cast iron head machined here in corpus i had less than 500 dollars in the head and that including the cam so i dont see how you think the cars are faster now

Just looking at mini-stock rules from 92,93,96,99 &2000.Many of the parts we run now would be illegal ,several cars now running have engines[dohc 16 valves]that weren't allowed.I don't want to go back to the old rules because even then this wasn't an "entry level" class. The current rules seem to work to even things out.The only thing I see that doesn't work is the $1200 & your car claimer rule. Not one of the top drivers or owners is going to give up a car for that & it doesn't stop them from spending $$$$$$! The fact no one has ever made a claim[that I know of] doesn't mean it won't happen &when/if it does it will cost someone points &money for the night.JMO,but this rule needs to be dropped.I do hope the ban on radios remains in place. Just one more expense I don't need.If we're going to do any thing,my vote is for scanners set to track freq. to aid in resetting the field during cautions.One 25 lap feature ran over 50 minutes due to cautions! Anything that speeds up the show is worth taking a look at.

The main difference in todays rules is the fact front wheel drive cars cannot lock the differentials.This does not affect the Fords except that it evens out the handeling thing,a front drive with a locked diff will always have an advantage on asphalt because it will not spin out.You can really free it up to adjust for the heavy nose.About 58-60 %.Today it is really a balancing act,if there is too much weight on eather side,the opposite side will start spinning under throttle.With the camber we use,I have a tread width of about 3" in the straightaway.If I had 50 more HP,I could not use it. As far as expense,I have a 300$ short block,a stock head with a cam and good valve springs.A cheap header and a crappy carburator.I have less than 2500$ in the entire car including tires and wheels.The claime rule is the most important one.Without it there is always someone with too much money who cant run good in a V8 class and builds a 10,000 mini.I have seen this several times.With the claimer,if there was a tricked out Pro Sedan or a Pro 4 or Mini Late Model worth 10,00 to 15,000 I would claim it myself even if I loose my car,I would sell it and build 2 more.Some millionaire will want their kid to have the best money can buy and once their there,you cant do anything about it.Right now,all our junk yard specials are within reasonable investments except the Fords are more costly for HP,mainly because there are so many parts available aftermarket.The Houston Fords are using 2.5 Ranger lowers and a modified cast 2.3 head and make great HP.I think the cost is relative to what type of car a person wants to race.If they get too high,it makes more sense to race modified or Super Street that pays more.I think our champion,14,has shown us how to go fast using the factory as the engine supplier.JMO.

Anyone received a check yet?  A BIG guy at this nice bar says I owe some money for some kinda dance or something....I don't know what he's talking about but I need to give him some money!!

You mean you had to pay for that dance? But we already paid him to dance with you LOL!

...you ain't right, Will!!! :blink:

GB,I get what you're saying but you're already racing against $10,000 minis.Your choice of cars makes a difference in how much you spend.Each car has its very own set of advantages & disadvantages.This time I chose a Ford because I don't want to make so many one-off parts.I think if your car is legal by the rules you shouldn't have to worry about being claimed.The carb / weight / tire rule seems to be keeping the competition fairly even no matter how much money is being spent.As you said,more HP won't help if you can't hook up with the tires.Try to claim one of these high $$$ cars & you'll just lose another racer cause he'll just load up & go home.Do it often & he won't come back. You can't regulate the $$$ people spend.Our biggest worry could be some kid who thinks what we're doing is cheap compared to the 20K or so under the of the car in his driveway.

Archived