Countdown to the Snowball from the Pensacola News

Snowball

Horsepower,

Terry L., no don't think so. Bobby L.? Yes. Slick, yes. Regarding other locals? The very first Snowball winner was a local. Wayne Niedecken was a "local". He had raced dirt and asphalt tracks all over Texas for years before he moved to Pensacola in about '66 i think.

In 1968, he won the first Snowball Derby, then backed it up with another win in '70. I used to watch him every Friday night in Austin in the early 60's. He was one of my favorites.

Sure wish I could make it there this year, but not going to be able to. Maybe next year :(

post-2-1133337041_thumb.jpg

I believe Terry ran in the Derby one time in the mid 80's, in Jim Pallas's car, I believe.

Hubert Bean ran one time in the mid 80's. From Odessa, John Foster ran a couple of times in the 70's/80's, as well as Sundown's JD Hughes, that used to make the SA races every so often.

Tommy Grimes ran a couple of times in the Derby and the Snowflake in past several years.

And, a former SAS track champion from 1978 won the Derby twice....1979 and 1981.......now what was his name?????? hmmmmm............oh yeah, the Beaumont Flyer!!!

A list of Texas drivers who have run the Derby,

Bobby Labonte, Chet Filip, Freddy Fryar, (also his brother Bobby, and nephew Tim), Greg and Chris Davidson, Hubert Bean, Jerry Schild, John Foster, John Rezek, Slick Yoemans, Steve Christian, the Niedeckens, who are originally from Abilene, Casey Smith, Bubba Naumann, Tommy Grimes, J.D. Hughes,

Might be a couple more, but I am currently focused on packing for Pensacola, we are currently 12 hours from launch time!

FryarFan,

You talkin about this guy?

neil diamond? j/k.......lots of respect . cracklin' rose is like a guitar hummin'.

Now that I'm packed, I also remember Robin McCall, and also Ricky Otts of Houston.

Terry Labonte did run the Derby, He finished 35th in the 1983 Derby, but it was not the Pallas car. His brother Bobby was there in '89, but I don't remember if he made the show.

Chrudimsky ran the Snowflake, not the Derby, and the TAMS guys were Jerry Schild, Jason Boyd, and Martin Lyall.

Countdown to the Derby 4 days

It has been 32 years since a Pensacola driver won the Snowball Derby. Dickie Davis collected his second Derby crown in 1973.

The last "hometown" driver to win was Mobile's Rick Crawford in 1989. He grew up racing at Five Flags Speedway, winning the Late Model track title in 1981 and '84.

He led the final 37 laps to win the Derby after finishing second in 1988. But Crawford lost the All Pro title by five points to Joe Nemechek.

· Snowball Derby festivities begin today with the second annual Green Flag Party from 5 to 9 p.m. in the speedway infield. For more information, call 944-8400 or go to www.snowballderby.com.

Archived