An Owner/Promoter's Perspective

debwill

Shown below is a personal perspective from Mary Ann Naumann, who is the Owner/Promoter at Thunderhill Raceway (THR) in Kyle, TX, and the Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS).

Mary Ann shares her thoughts about the THR and TSRS rules for the 2010 racing season – and beyond. We hope to have the updated technical rules posted on the THR website, www.thunderhillraceway.com by later this evening. The General Rules will be revised and posted sometime in January.

We hope you’ll take the time to read Mary Ann’s thoughts and hopefully understand her desire to do what’s best for the local racing community.

To view in PDF format, click on the following link: OwnersPerspective.pdf

-----------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 18, 2009

An Owner/Promoter’s Perspective . . .

from Mary Ann Naumann, Owner/Promoter of Thunderhill Raceway and the Texas Super Racing Series

THR & TSRS Drivers and Teams,

As your Owner and Promoter of Thunderhill Raceway (THR) and the Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) Late Models and Allison Legacys, I’m always looking out for the best interests of the drivers and teams.

With that being said, I’d like to share my perspective on a couple of issues relating to the proposed changes on tires and crate motors.

Along with the Management Team, I’ve spent many hours during the off-season planning and evaluating rule changes in hopes of making racing a little more affordable for both THR and TSRS. I had also suggested that we have an open drivers’ meeting last weekend to get input from the teams and car owners.

To be real honest with you, I did not feel excitement from the THR teams on the proposed tire change that would potentially save $10 a tire. Rather, I saw puzzling looks on your faces that showed your concerns about the adjustments that might possibly need to be made on your cars to accommodate the tire change.

On the topic of crate engines, I feel that this option could save the racers some money. But I also understand that something as simple as a crate engine can also be quite complex. The claim rule seemed to be a good way to enforce the legality of the crates, and I was encouraged to move forward with adding that option to the rules for 2010.

Following the meeting, however, I’ve had a real tough time trying to determine how to make the right decisions for THR and TSRS. I know all of us wondered for a couple of months if THR would even be open in 2010 – or could we possibly lose our playground? How scary was that? Moving forward, would these changes make things better or worse?

I thought about how things are starting to turn around, especially with the hiring of a marketing company. I now have high hopes that we can look forward to racing at THR at least three more years – and hopefully beyond – with even more and better things to come.

Also, as I’ve said on many occasions – and I feel truly blessed to say this – we have great car counts. On the other hand, I do realize that idle race cars are still sitting in garages, and I would love to have them back at the track.

Making the right decisions to maximize the car count is a big challenge in itself. With minimal input and encouragement on the proposed rule changes from the racing teams, I feel the timing just isn’t right to make these major changes right now.

Since 2010 is such a crucial year for THR, I think it’s important that all of the staff and officials are on the same team. We’re already spread pretty thin, and I’m concerned about our having to manage these changes. We know we’ve been blessed with wonderful, devoted race teams, and we must all continue the momentum to keep THR alive and well.

In summary, as the Owner and Promoter of THR and TSRS, it’s my decision to continue the 2010 season with the same technical rules that were in place for 2009, with the exception of the "red areas" covered by our Technical Director, Jack Sandefur, in the drivers’ meeting. The only “red area” that will not be changed as we had originally announced in the meeting is the removal of the bump stops for the TSRS Late Models. We’ve reversed the rule change, and it will remain the same as in 2009.

The 2010 rules for TSRS and all of the THR classes will be released and posted for download shortly on the THR website at www.thunderhillraceway.com. The changes will be shown in red.

I know these decisions may not make everyone happy, but the proposed major changes would probably have caused some dissatisfaction also. I feel it’s my primary responsibility to make sure that we have a good place to race, and I will continue to make it my focus throughout the upcoming season. I plan to use the entire 2010 season to further investigate cost-saving changes that can be included in the rules for 2011.

Respectfully – and with all of my heart – I hope that I have made the right decisions for THR and TSRS.

*´¨)

¸.• ´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•'

Wishing each of you a very Merry Christmas and a HAPPY New Year!

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Naumann

MAN NOW THAT IS SOMEONE RIGHT THERE THAT GIVES A HOOT ...HOW MANY TRACK MANAGERS SPILL OUT IN THE OPEN WHAT THIER THOUGHTS WERE AND ARE... THIS JUST SHOWS YOU THE CLASS THE LADY HAS .THE CARE SHE HAS ,,,, THE HARD WORK SHE AND HER STAFF PUT IN .THE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS SHE MUST INDURE ... ALL IN THE LOVE OF RACEN ... MARY ANN YOU HAVE OUR AND ALWAYS HAD OUR UPMOST RESPECT ..... THANK YOU ..

So does this mean we are going with the same tire as last year or are we going to the 700's for the supers. Just wanted to know. I personally like the idea of saving $40.00 and the longevity on a full set. And from what I hear there faster. In my opinion faster is better.....

thanX for the devotion you have for this sport.

i'd race for you even if i had to drive across the state.

Archived