Watch Terry James on RUSS

RodneyRodriguez

• 2 weeks later...

Great Interview, I'd never heard Terry talk so much but it was great and brought back big memories for me. I recall his biggest rivalries were with Stormin' Steve but IMO the bigger one was with Ralph and Calvin Cantwell, some escalated to the extreme at times. Memories at Longhorn were parking next to Bobby Joe New and Junior in the 5  were next to the News. I can recall Keith Sandefur was sponsored one season by Louise Epstein who was running for Austin City Council. Can recall local TV and radio personalities racing one night, Bama Brown stands out. He drove Shawn Grimlands car if not mistaken. Shawn (RIP) used to bring the girls from the Red Rose and the bouncer to the races and a couple of years sponsored the fireworks at 4th of July...great times. I crew chiefed for Dave Cooke (RIP) in the 7 car we affectionately called "Cupcake" since Dave won like 14 races in 1993 if memory serves me. Our competition was Bobby Joe, Jimmy Meredith, Ron Chambers, Larry Houston  and probably more I'm forgetting. My heroes who I always enjoyed talking with were Luther New and Junior Medlock. Those guys enriched my life and filled me in on a ton of stories and backstories. Thanks Rodney and Bobby for doing this interview....I'm glad I finally found the time to listen to this! You guys should try and get Bobby Joe to come on the show.

so many great ones from Speed-O-Rama. I specifically blame my dad and Jake Wallace for this addiction. We would go every week to the races one of the first times there Jake let me sit in his 9 car I was a very young kid, very.. to this day I remember the smell of the rubber and fuel inside that car. Dr John Tolley (RIP) gave me a kiddy ride there and he stood on it! Slick Yoemans gave me his pit pass and a big ass McCreary tire. All of that before 10 years old. 

I'd recite Jerry Green, Rick Shaw, Neil and so many that grabbed the mic at that place. Honored to say I won many a race there one I was afforded the chance to race. The cool part on my shelf in that 1st feature win pic years later for sure was my dad was there but on the end, Jake Wallace. To re-connect with these TITANS is amazing.

More to come!

20 hours ago, RodneyRodriguez said:

to this day I remember the smell of the rubber and fuel inside that car.

I do too....I recall in the early 90's you had a choice of red or green fuel and we used green ($5.00 a gallon) if not mistaken. I can smell it right now and Sunday mornings I had a headache when I woke up from it. So many memories and good ones too from there. Stands were packed and everyone had a good time.

Thanks for the Bobby Joe interview, I completely missed that one. Thought I had heard them all. guess not.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, RodneyRodriguez said:

Indeed, Joe Aramendia coming up Monday!

I remember him well, if not mistaken he was the first guy I saw at Thunderhill with a Nascar like toolbox, very cool. Him and that guy out of Houston who drove the bright yellow #6 car in ROMCO series(Think his name was Doug Lege?)

I just got done listening to Bobby Joe New and it was excellent. I was standing next to Papa New in the spectator stands in the pits next to the fence and saw Bobby Joe stop his car and get out and throw the steering wheel. Papa was holding a coke can and smashed it into the chain link fence, He then picked up the can and smashed it again and it went thru the fence and onto the track...funniest thing I ever saw him do. He was HOT is an understatement. And yes they did drive the car to Southside Jeep back home some times north on 183, I watched it leave. Dave Cooke used to "test" his car around the 3M plant on 2222 and then drive it back to the shop on Saturday mornings, we used walkie talkies and headsets because I'd be his lookout . Good Times

Thanks again Rodney for digging this up from your archives for me and Happy Holidays to you and Family as well!!

Edited by King237

I love it that Rodney and Bobby are interviewing so many of the important folks in the history of Texas Stock Car Racing.  Once our generation of die-hards is gone, what we will have left are the efforts made by folks like them, Tom Taylor (TxTom), Bruce Mabrito, Cindy Oates and others with websites and FB pages devoted to racing history.

I hope others will see the value of keeping the Texas history intact here on Lone Star Speedzone and support this site going forward.

Nick

• 1 month later...