Owen Pittman named 2020 Texas Short Track Promoter-of-the-Year

For immediate release:
Revved Up Sports Show PR
Tel: 512.300.4445

Owen Pittman named 2020 Texas Short Track Promoter of the Year,
Presented by Revved Up Sports Show & RaceOnTexas

AUSTIN, Texas (Dec. 9, 2020) — Owners of Texas-based media entities the Revved Up Sports Show (RUSS) and RaceOnTexas have announced the first recipient of their newly-created Texas Short Track Promoter of the Year Award for 2020. The news was announced during Wednesday's special mid-week RUSS program.

Owen Pittman, general manager of Texana Raceway Park (TRP) in Edna, Texas, is the recipient of this year's prestigious award. Pittman and his staff transformed a track struggling with low car counts and fan attendance into a thriving, popular facility where even B Mains were needed in weekly qualifying.

“This means a lot to me, and comes as a huge surprise,” Pittman said when notified of the decision. “This state is full of great promoters. I worked hard at our place this year, just like all the other promoters did to keep racing alive. I think survival is key now. This is honestly very humbling to me.

“We all have the same passion and want the same results, to keep the sport growing if at all possible. Even with the pandemic this year, we saw growth across the board. What helps is that tracks are more aligned than ever right now, working together for one goal. I'm very grateful to receive this award.”

Pittman has an extensive background in the organizational and promotional side of the sport. Texana wasn't the first oval he's saved from extinction. His passion for racing has driven him for many years.

“I ran the old Corpus Christi Speedway for two years in the early 2000s,” Pittman explained. “Then I jumped into racing promotion with both feet and ran South Texas Speedway for the next 10 years after that. I had a good time at CC Speedway, the asphalt track was really fun for me and I enjoyed it a lot.”

As a man who travels statewide to work at races, Rodney Rodriguez knows chemistry when he sees it.

“Owen and his staff did some amazing things down there in Edna this year,” the founder and co-host at RUSS said. “When you look at their car counts, steady crowds and a successful Karting program that gets kids active in racing, I feel those efforts meet our criteria and are exemplary of great promotion.”

Members of the Selection Committee, each with many years of involvement in the racing industry, held their discussions during the month of November to make nominations, deliberate and cast their votes. While there were lively discussions on several good candidates, the final vote count was undisputed.

“I thank the members of our committee for their hard work in this annual task,” RaceOnTexas owner Chris David said. “I know they put a lot of thought into it, and I feel they chose an excellent recipient. Owen has done a great job of rebuilding Texana Raceway in 2020 and deserves recognition for that.”

To follow the Revved Up Sports Show, go to www.revvedupsportsshow.com. To become a subscriber at RaceOnTexas and start enjoying some great Live streaming action from tracks across Texas and even into Louisiana, please go to www.raceontexas.com.

TRP Logo.jpg

There are many great promoters across the state and we are very fortunate for that . But Mr. Pittman stood out for this award for 2020. When Owen took over C.C. Speedway that track was ready for last rites. Car counts shot up and the racing was great. When he moved over to South Texas Speedway most of the C.C. cars and staff went with him. STS was in good shape but Owen took it to the next level. Texana was a good little small town track that was trending up when Owen got there. In two short seasons phenomenal growth. This shows long term success at three different tracks. Wherever he goes you know the program improves big time. The kart program and the E-Mods he introduced are a big success at STS and growing at TRP. Congratulations on a well deserved award and with Mr. Beard coming in and Mr. Pittman staying things look really good at TRP for 2021!