Engine storage

hardheadted

i put what ever i am going to put together and i use a plastic yard bag tape them sealed . ..if you build the motor you going to lube the inner parts as you go anyway .so you should be fine ..with cams like the ones we have and you have some lucas or stp on em works fine ..i dont spray oils cuz they dry and any moister built up on the oil will still rust up the parts after it dries ..even when i put the rings and pistons in i use the same lubes ill coat the cylinders ..

well when you and your dad build those motors make sure you have a bolt or two left over . just be careful what bolts they are ..then you know your good ..take styrofoam what ever size you can get .christmas is a great time to gather it up .just dig in everyones garbage lol ..take your bolts from what ever it is your taking apart and write on the foam where they came from ..ill take something and poke the holes for each bolt if you cant push them in ..you can also number it 1 through what ever to keep them in order notate if you like in book or so . .then as you go back with the parts you just reverse from the last bolts you pulled ...dang i am smart ..lol for wiring just get multi colored tape, tape both sides and walla makes it easy if you need to do so to hook back up ..then pray when finished with the motor it runs ...i have built motors all the way back into the 60.s and am very nervous every time i start a fresh motor up ..i sit before each start up and go through every nut bolt and parts i installed before i ever turn it over .and when i am not sure ..i pull it out ..j anyone around me has to keep their mouths shut unless i talk first at that time .

I use to build my engines for my street cars back in the 60-70;s and remember those pre start nerves very well. Turn it over once, twice, no bad sounds then go for it!! Eric will get to experience this soon.

it never gets easier one of us wont hardly take our eyes off the gauges through the first and second run through///while one is listening and checking for leaks and what nots ,,

When the cars started having so many vacuum hoses, wires, and sensors, my dad started buying all the different colored zip ties, in regular colors, and neon colors. He marks the wires, vacuum hoses, and whatever they hook to with zip ties. When it all goes back together you hook red to red, neon yellow to neon yellow, and so on. We had a Toyota truck once that had so many vacuum hoses and wires, that we had to start going to double colors, red and white to red and white, green and blue to green and blue and so on. The colored tape that high tech mentioned works great also. Good luck with yalls back up engine project.

When the cars started having so many vacuum hoses, wires, and sensors, my dad started buying all the different colored zip ties, in regular colors, and neon colors. He marks the wires, vacuum hoses, and whatever they hook to with zip ties. When it all goes back together you hook red to red, neon yellow to neon yellow, and so on. We had a Toyota truck once that had so many vacuum hoses and wires, that we had to start going to double colors, red and white to red and white, green and blue to green and blue and so on. The colored tape that high tech mentioned works great also. Good luck with yalls back up engine project.

Good advise!!

With the colored tape, styrofoam bolt holders, Lucas oil additive, wrapped in plastic bags advise on the motors what can go wrong!! :unsure: I'm going to love or hate the first time I try to start one of these motors I build but the real test will be the track. I want Eric to come off the track with a big ole smile and say 4 words, This thing is fast!! Then I'll be happy!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived