Sport Compacts

thumper

Last nite I got to talk to some of the new management about this and they are intrested to try for the "fast and furious" group too.Plus they put up a decient purse to race for so prehaps this will be the breakout year for our guys.Im excited to see modern factory cars racing ovals.A modern car won last nite beating the dinosaur (barely) prooving you dont need a custom built car to be fast because the factory is continuning to up the horsepower and handeling of the cars sold today.

Congrats and happy birthday to Jeremy Witt for a sweep in his Cavilier.Not only is the dual between the modern and old school cars but the drivers rivalery as well.Old VS young as there is almost 50 years of age difference between drivers ages.It prooves there a place for everyone in the Sport Compact division at South Texas Speedway.Now about that tuner croud.................

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

First off in my opinon compact cars are not as fast as a street stock. Secondly ur comment about not being interested in hearing about the noisey cars is rude and out of line and am not interested in hearing about a slow class that cant even half the cars all the other classes have and since the noisy classes arent on here dogging the compact class that can seem to grow past a few. I speak only for myself thumper u can beg plead and inform people on compact class and recruit as many as u can to build the class but the comment about noisey cars should be left out. I have talked to many fans that enjoy the noisy cars like LLMs limited modified street stocks pure/bomber stocks and emods. U do good trying to recruite to build compact class but u might try leaving stuff out that isnt any support for our classes that r all brining in good car counts. JMO not being an ass but as an owner of 2 noisy cars stating u have no interest in hearing about the noisy cars shouldnt be a part of ur recruting. Again JMO

I hope something works out to have a series sponsor.I know a lot of people are looking at this class as an inexpensive way to be a part of this great Saturday show without needing a second morgage or making it a full time job.Race on Sat,live your life the rest of the week.Over the last several years the ministock racers have had many issues to deal with like series cancelling,tracks closing and now a management change at the track we got the most support from in the last 3 years.

I know the potential of this venue and have watched its growth up north to become one of the biggest classes at many northern tracks.With a sponsor and a smart promoter it can be here also.Mostly its a misunderstanding of what the STS Sport Compact car is all about.These are not the frontrunner/ecostocks that many Texas tracks now have.Those cars are strictle stock even to the size of tires and air cleaners.The powerful cars like Acuras,Neons,Eclipses,Cobalts,Focus twin cams etc are NOT banned from this series,rather they are encouraged due to their huge factory horsepower that makes buying a lot of expensive performance parts unnecessary while still enjoying the speed.Rather than restricting tires and wheels to the original specks,we are allowed any street tire up to a 205 plus different sizes to tune the car for oval track racing.We are allowed to play with springs,IE cut,shim swap with other OEM springs for the same reason.We are allowed headers mainly because many models have an exaust manifold that is prone to breaking and is expensive.A smart car builder can easily build a very fast factory circle track tuned modern car and the biggest cost is the doner car and roll cage.The factory provides the rest.And make no mistake,the tracks that have these types of cars have compacts that turn laps to rival the street stocks.These are not mini bombers that are a filler item,there a full blown factory race car.

Right now we have quite a mixture of mosty left over cars from past series and tracks and Im grateful for everyone that shows up to race.I know theres many cars inactive right now,waiting to see what the future of this class holds.I was encouraged to see so many at the Shootout from so many tracks also intrested in the STS Compacts.That race showed that money is important for ANY class to grow.So I hope Brians sponsorship deal works and we can pick up others as well because this class races what the dealerships are selling TODAY.

My final point is:the mechanics that work on these modern are a different breed.They are well versed in modern electronics and modern engine designs.This make a wonderful oppourtunity for the beginning professional mechanics to hone their talents.When was the last time you heard a V8 driver complain they lost a race because the cam sensor went out or the computer went to limp mode?Or having a problem with the cam advancer or an oxygen sensor malfunction or even an air flow meter that gave up.The guys good at this stuff make the best mechanics for any new model car sold today.So its really new science for us.Thats the most exciting part to me.

Theres this years speech,hope it inspires some.We need modern cars on our oval tracks if we want to expand our show.Too many people are left out of todays oval track racing because they really have no connection with the dinosaurs (no offence) running around in circles now.The fast and furious croud have a tremendous following and need to be a part of our local shows.And the Sport Compacts are designed with them in mind.We just need to figgure out how to get them intrested here.Afterall they are the ones customizing and tuning todays factory cars.They spend big bucks on their cars.Lets get them off the streets on Sat nite and in the pits racing and showing off their talents.This is 2014,not 1980.

Sorry for the rant,Im not intrested to hear how great the big noisy cars are,they have their following already.But it looks like some help with new blood would benifit all.JMO.Thanks for reading.

I don't think the "Fast and Furious" crowd is all that interested in oval racing.It is all about drifting and street racing. Maybe drag racing.I respect anyone who builds and races a car no matter what the class.And nothing sound better than 20-25 Sports Mods or USMTS Mods taking the green!

Right now the people I want to recrute are all the racers who quit because of time restraints or finances.Every Sat nite I see people idle who would make great compact competetors and their experience is greatly needed and appreciated if we could just move beyound the stigma compacts have to endure regardless of what there called.Most believe mistakenly that thats moving "down" when its actually moving foreward.Its the future.Even NASCAR now incorporates fuel injection and someday will opt for overhead cams and multivalves.Im reminded of the tremendous fight the flathead Fords put up when the V8 Chevrolet overhead valve engine popped up in 1955 and desimated almost 30 years of Ford dominance.

What would make me happy is to see less people in the stands and more on the track.Even you Arob and racewife.Why not? Without question the compacts have a place for any age,any budget and any level of talent.Its extreamly fun to do as well.

For all you who quit racing,look at compacts to return.It doesnt make you a lesser person and your talents can put us in the right direction.Its already happening up north on many levels from the 10 grand to win in Georga to the super fast Vorhees Compacts that rival the speeds of the Pro Sedans.For all you guys (you know who you are) who quit minnies,thunders etc to "move up" only to find heartbreak,come on back We got a new deal,lets make it work.For all you who dont like the compacts,get off out thread.OK back to sleep now.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

First off in my opinon compact cars are not as fast as a street stock. Secondly ur comment about not being interested in hearing about the noisey cars is rude and out of line and am not interested in hearing about a slow class that cant even half the cars all the other classes have and since the noisy classes arent on here dogging the compact class that can seem to grow past a few. I speak only for myself thumper u can beg plead and inform people on compact class and recruit as many as u can to build the class but the comment about noisey cars should be left out. I have talked to many fans that enjoy the noisy cars like LLMs limited modified street stocks pure/bomber stocks and emods. U do good trying to recruite to build compact class but u might try leaving stuff out that isnt any support for our classes that r all brining in good car counts. JMO not being an ass but as an owner of 2 noisy cars stating u have no interest in hearing about the noisy cars shouldnt be a part of ur recruting. Again JMO

I hope something works out to have a series sponsor.I know a lot of people are looking at this class as an inexpensive way to be a part of this great Saturday show without needing a second morgage or making it a full time job.Race on Sat,live your life the rest of the week.Over the last several years the ministock racers have had many issues to deal with like series cancelling,tracks closing and now a management change at the track we got the most support from in the last 3 years.

I know the potential of this venue and have watched its growth up north to become one of the biggest classes at many northern tracks.With a sponsor and a smart promoter it can be here also.Mostly its a misunderstanding of what the STS Sport Compact car is all about.These are not the frontrunner/ecostocks that many Texas tracks now have.Those cars are strictle stock even to the size of tires and air cleaners.The powerful cars like Acuras,Neons,Eclipses,Cobalts,Focus twin cams etc are NOT banned from this series,rather they are encouraged due to their huge factory horsepower that makes buying a lot of expensive performance parts unnecessary while still enjoying the speed.Rather than restricting tires and wheels to the original specks,we are allowed any street tire up to a 205 plus different sizes to tune the car for oval track racing.We are allowed to play with springs,IE cut,shim swap with other OEM springs for the same reason.We are allowed headers mainly because many models have an exaust manifold that is prone to breaking and is expensive.A smart car builder can easily build a very fast factory circle track tuned modern car and the biggest cost is the doner car and roll cage.The factory provides the rest.And make no mistake,the tracks that have these types of cars have compacts that turn laps to rival the street stocks.These are not mini bombers that are a filler item,there a full blown factory race car.

Right now we have quite a mixture of mosty left over cars from past series and tracks and Im grateful for everyone that shows up to race.I know theres many cars inactive right now,waiting to see what the future of this class holds.I was encouraged to see so many at the Shootout from so many tracks also intrested in the STS Compacts.That race showed that money is important for ANY class to grow.So I hope Brians sponsorship deal works and we can pick up others as well because this class races what the dealerships are selling TODAY.

My final point is:the mechanics that work on these modern are a different breed.They are well versed in modern electronics and modern engine designs.This make a wonderful oppourtunity for the beginning professional mechanics to hone their talents.When was the last time you heard a V8 driver complain they lost a race because the cam sensor went out or the computer went to limp mode?Or having a problem with the cam advancer or an oxygen sensor malfunction or even an air flow meter that gave up.The guys good at this stuff make the best mechanics for any new model car sold today.So its really new science for us.Thats the most exciting part to me.

Theres this years speech,hope it inspires some.We need modern cars on our oval tracks if we want to expand our show.Too many people are left out of todays oval track racing because they really have no connection with the dinosaurs (no offence) running around in circles now.The fast and furious croud have a tremendous following and need to be a part of our local shows.And the Sport Compacts are designed with them in mind.We just need to figgure out how to get them intrested here.Afterall they are the ones customizing and tuning todays factory cars.They spend big bucks on their cars.Lets get them off the streets on Sat nite and in the pits racing and showing off their talents.This is 2014,not 1980.

Sorry for the rant,Im not intrested to hear how great the big noisy cars are,they have their following already.But it looks like some help with new blood would benifit all.JMO.Thanks for readin

Right now the people I want to recrute are all the racers who quit because of time restraints or finances.Every Sat nite I see people idle who would make great compact competetors and their experience is greatly needed and appreciated if we could just move beyound the stigma compacts have to endure regardless of what there called.Most believe mistakenly that thats moving "down" when its actually moving foreward.Its the future.Even NASCAR now incorporates fuel injection and someday will opt for overhead cams and multivalves.Im reminded of the tremendous fight the flathead Fords put up when the V8 Chevrolet overhead valve engine popped up in 1955 and desimated almost 30 years of Ford dominance.

What would make me happy is to see less people in the stands and more on the track.Even you Arob and racewife.Why not? Without question the compacts have a place for any age,any budget and any level of talent.Its extreamly fun to do as well.

For all you who quit racing,look at compacts to return.It doesnt make you a lesser person and your talents can put us in the right direction.Its already happening up north on many levels from the 10 grand to win in Georga to the super fast Vorhees Compacts that rival the speeds of the Pro Sedans.For all you guys (you know who you are) who quit minnies,thunders etc to "move up" only to find heartbreak,come on back We got a new deal,lets make it work.For all you who dont like the compacts,get off out thread.OK back to sleep now.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Since you mentioned my dad in this (Arob) I'll drive a SC if someone has one I can borrow Sunday since my bomber isn't done yet lol. Yes as a fan, I prefer watching LLM over SC but I'm sure driving one would be a blast. The one time I was on at STS was in a dog of a Cadillac but it still was an amazing time.

UGH! Enough already.If the class , any class , is to succeed it has to grow.Thumper is doing what he can to get it to grow.Kuddos to him.I have said many times I thought a track should have no more than 4 classes.The fact that STS has more means they are going above and beyond.Now to be realistic if IH37 reopens say good bye to LLM's.We love having them here but we all know why they are here.Let us all enjoy the moment.

UGH! Enough already.If the class , any class , is to succeed it has to grow.Thumper is doing what he can to get it to grow.Kuddos to him.I have said many times I thought a track should have no more than 4 classes.The fact that STS has more means they are going above and beyond.Now to be realistic if IH37 reopens say good bye to LLM's.We love having them here but we all know why they are here.Let us all enjoy the moment

i37 is not going reopen!!!!!!

We wanted to come down from CTS to try dirt, but couldn't get a straight answer on here about the rules, so we didn't make the drive down. There needs to be someone serious on here that can give reliable info to ANYONE that shows interest in trying this track or class out. Until then, we will stay closer to home. STS sounds fun though.

i37 is not going reopen!!!!!!

Hey, we can dream, right?

The biggest part of the S. Texas oil boom is history. Any dreams of making a financial killing by selling the land to oil barons are fading fast. If it were going to sell for oil purposes, it wouild have sold by now - at least that's what I'm told by a friend who works in the industry.

Maybe the price will come down before the place gets too overgrown.

Nick

Topshelf, we have a sport compact. Mr. Hobbs, we have the rules and schedule, that is not the problem. We had a specific question regarding windshields in this class, and got the runaround. The rules are fine, but there isn't anyone that seems interested in answering specifics. We even tried contacting you directly but got no response. I was just commenting to point out the fact that a person can own a car, reach out on the forums, and yet still not be clear and comfortable with what to expect on race day. Its beyond daunting for a newcomer.

Rules for each class are on the STS homepage on the internet.The only thing not listed is on Sport Compacts all other tracks mini cars are also invited to race with us as well using their own rules or updating to sport compact inprovements.Nobody gets turned away.Weather it be a compact,frontrunner,eco-stock,twister,hornet,ministock or Pro Sedan all are welcome to experience this track.In December we had all of the above.The intrest in compact racing IS there,we just lack leadership,sponsorship and promotion.Heck we dont even know week to week how much were racing for.But in the past compacts have enjoyed great success like at CC Speedway,we were called Texas Thunders and averaged 20 cars a week with a 200$ purse.At Rio Grande Speedway the original Thunder Car class also enjoyed a 20 + field although half the cars were family members or pit crews of the feature classes that were able to have a place on the card even though the modified and supers budget did not allow for more than one car in the top level.Nothing makes a volinteer crewmember work harder than when he is part of a team effort.And the wifes and kids beam when THEY have a fan base especially their peers.

Since this thread is titled Sport Compacts I thought it fitting to post this as a reminder.We have no intrest in replacing anybody,we just want to carve a place for those who otherwise might never feel the joy of circle track racing.Most of our guys barely afford the pit costs and I know some have to leave some family members or friends in the stands because of cost.I get great happiness from seeing the glee in some of these guys eyes when they actually finish a race let alone do well.These are the people thast really appreciate racing.To shun them or shame them makes me really angry.They remind me of a child learning to walk and I will alwayd do whatever I can to help them and keep a place for them on the card.Yes,I could race any class I choose and be successful but my heart is here.Several promoters have also felt this way,like Bobby Maupin and Owen Pitman and now Im hoping Ken Hobbs.I hope you (very few) dont screw it up for us.A little help would go a long way for this special groop.It doesnt cost any other class anything.Im really hoping a few experienced racers will join us.You can build one of these in a week or less and your experience would go a long way in helping these guys learn the sport like coaches..Adding another 20 cars to the show cant be a bad thing.

To any potential sponsor.This is a chance to be the series sponsor and have your name well known by all racers for not a great cost.To an orginazitional leader,come put this series on the proper order to function as a whole.To an experienced promoter,grab the reigns and steer this puppy to the top.

To my fellow compact and other mini racers.Dont give up hope,try to keep your cars running.Bring what you got and lets get this thing going.Theres better things comming,eventually.Im proud to be a part of you. Thumper

Thank you Thumper and topshelf. Thats the info a newcomer is looking for. We just need a couple people to fill in the blanks for newbies like me. Im glad to hear we can race our CTS sport compact there. We were just worried about being turned away. We will probably see y'all in June!

Archived