Prospects for Racing Events at SAS

LWF

Many moons ago, I formed the Texas Track Owners and Promoters Association (TTOPA). Some of you may recall that particular venture.

Track owners/promoters and tech officials from all three tracks - SAS, CC Speedway and Thunderhill (but not Houston since at the time it was being run under a "no purse" systems and was doomed until Graham and David Baker bought it from Dan) - and I met several times and we all agreed on many issues. There were not dues. I funded the organization from my wife's grocery money.

The first task to be undertaken was to write common rules for the Street Stocks (or equivalent) and arrange for a state champion in that class. I had a very decent points purse lined up - over $35K, which was a lot of money at the time.

But, of course, one track refused to go along with the common rules that Wayne Norrell and I had developed over a six month period. All three tracks were in on the writing of the rules and we all met many times and talked on the phone with each tech official whenever a compromise was needed. Finally, the Street Stock rules were ready and and were set for publication. But one track went ahead and simply posted their own rules the day before our common rules were to be published. No call to Wayne or me.

That was the end of TTOPA right there.

I spent quite a bit of time and money getting the organization formed as a LLC and doing virtually all the "grunt work" although Wayne Norrell was a great help in writing the engine rules for the class.

I still have the bylaws, etc, in a file somewhere, but we would have to re-do the LLC thing I'm pretty sure.

Some of the old school cars are hard to come by these days you have to look at what is readily available now days and affordable thats y most ppl bought up the old tsrs cars and converted into super street stocks nothing wrong with that in my mind and times are not far off between the two

I don't know a bunch about them, and no one is right or wrong. I've seen the old school cars run and beat the new ones, especially on dirt. We joked about the other class and like Nick said, the answer was in my own question would a class closer to a Pure Stock work or one closer to Chargers. Too many variables in the SAS formula and that's just on the track. Through in the off track issues, you need DEEP pockets and patience.

• 6 months later...

I heard a rumor yesterday that NHRA bought the track.

You are confusing San Antonio Raceway - the drag strip in Marion (near Seguin) - with San Antonio Speedway, the half-mile oval in San Antonio.

Nick

Archived