transmisson filter

norman

i just purchased a f-150 what is the pros and cons about replaceing the filter and what fluid it takes to fill it i heard the new fluid will wash the tarnish off the internal parts

i just purchased a f-150 what is the pros and cons about replaceing the filter and what fluid it takes to fill it i heard the new fluid will wash the tarnish off the internal parts

I never heard of washing the 'tarnish" off before. I cant think of a con for changing the filter and fluid except it costs money and if theres no drain plug its a mess. I say if it needs changing to change it. What are you suppose to do when the fluid needs changed? Buy a new transmission instead?. With that being said, I almost never change my fords trans. fluid. I had a 94 that didnt tow much and I didnt change it it 7 years. My 2000 super duty still has the original fluid and filter and it tows alot. I never ran the transmissions hot tho. I do have an auto in the race car and it gets changed every season. I would think your ok to change.

I believe the term is "Varnish". There is a lot of the friction materials from softparts floating around in a unit - often called varnish and used to be demonstrated to a customer by the transmission chain stores as the need for a rebuild - even a new trans will have a grey layer on the bottom of the pan. This stuff does help an old tranny grab in the clutches and bands - and thats why the owners manual says 100K (or more) on a fluid change normal duty (My Cadillac manual actually says DO NOT change fluid unless severe duty - and then gives 120K as the interval, and specifies fluid only - not filter).

It doesn't however shorten the life of anything if you change early - if its gonna start slipping the clutches are gone anyway.

Just smell the fluid - if its more pinkish than deep red and does not smell burnt - no need to change!

:( My 1996 Chrysler handicap mini-van with at 125,000 quit shifting full of fluid.. Got it home Robert pulled the pan ( right mess of a job) filter had fell off, their only kept on by a rubber O-ring, replaced filter, shifted fine, about 7-8 months same thing did same thing all fine again. In Nov. Quit shifting again this time out of fluid after exhustive search it was seal at transmisson where C_V axel goes in. Right now the tranny is still shifting!! Also Tranny fluid at around $5 QT. Almost $100.

IF IT HAS A TON MILES ON IT AND STILL SHIFTS OK .. I WOULD NEVER CHANGE THE FLUID .BUT IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO ..THEN HAVE IT FLUSHED THROUGH AND THROUGH .THE REST OF THE TRANS HOLD DIRTY FLUID TOO ..A PROFESSIONAL TRANS PERSON WOULD LEAD YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ..MY JEEP STILL HAS THE SAME FLUID IT CAME WITH WITH 170.000 ..I WONT CHANGE IT .

Archived