SAS website

Mark39

I have been to all of the tracks in this area, and to be honest...SAS was one of the most boring tracks I went to, poor car count...no passing....but...I can believe that years ago it might have been a different story. I only bring this up...because im my opinion, a track dont mean squat. Its the people that make a place great, or boring. If you have good owners, alot of cars, and close competition....the races will be great....no matter what track it is. The best racing I ever saw was at Big H in houston....but not towards the end of its life..... almost all tracks have golden years....where they produce great racing and everyone remembers those....

But...I sort of think those times are going away... the racing was good back in the day...because racing was affordable...and there was not much else to do....now...racing is not affordable....and there is to much to do...were losing fans and racers to other interests.... course....its hard to keep interest when 8 cars is a good car count...

When I started racing....we ran a b main every night. THAT makes for good races... I hope SAS does open...and...I would go and watch again....but...I just dont think it will ever live up to its reputation....hope I am wrong....AJ

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hath27 will get an amen from Rusty Ray about running the cars together, Jason Ray did just that in Pennsylvania. Supers, Crates, and 2 barrell TSRS style engines all ran together, and all won at tne time or another. But you need someone fair and objective to set the rules for each, and start with the rules that Penn and Co are running.

There are at least 60 Crate engine cars in the southeast Texas area, including Louisiana. But there are more Super style cars laying around in various states of readiness. No reason we cannot get them all on the same page like Hath described. Houston is running open and crate engines together in the Modifieds, why not late models.

Set the rules right, and we will see cars. Texas used to see a nice contigent of Colorado racers travel down for the big money races; Don Wilson, Rick Carelli, and I may have these names right--#34 Rich Nelson and #80 Ray Young? Roger Avants ran some TIDA races at Sooner. Great racers; would like to see the next generation.

A big factor in the current state of late model racing in Texas (and elsewhere), is the sheer number of different sanctions that ran them. 6-7 years ago, we had ROMCO, TSRS, Houston 602, Houston 604, and San Antonio Nascar. Add the USLMA that Hath27 is familiar with, and you basically had 6 classes of late models in a state with about 4 tracks that ran them. A blind monkey can see the issue there.

Now we are down to a half dozen TSRS cars and a few traveling to the southeast.

The solution lies a couple states away.............................

Yeah AJ, SAS did have a bad few years with bad car counts but I can remember the mid to late 80's and early 90s when it was some of the best racing ever! I am really looking forward to seeing this happen! I hope one of my cars will fit the rule book so I can race there in October!

Same goes for Modifieds. There are alot more "unlimited" modifieds in the country than crate powered modifieds. So please consider at least Gulf Coast rules for mods or something similar. CNS had 23 unlimited modifieds attend on 4-14-12 and there are more unlimited modifieds in Abq. New Mexico, Altus, OK, Pueblo, CO, not to mention the thousands of dirt modifieds in Texas. Many of these cars/drivers would probably like a chance to race at SAS once again. Also look at the Lucas Oil Modified series and their amazing car count they have had in 2012!

Open rules brings cars...

The Modifieds are currently running the Gulf Coast Rules

I have been to all of the tracks in this area, and to be honest...SAS was one of the most boring tracks I went to, poor car count...no passing....but...I can believe that years ago it might have been a different story. I only bring this up...because im my opinion, a track dont mean squat. Its the people that make a place great, or boring. If you have good owners, alot of cars, and close competition....the races will be great....no matter what track it is. The best racing I ever saw was at Big H in houston....but not towards the end of its life..... almost all tracks have golden years....where they produce great racing and everyone remembers those....

But...I sort of think those times are going away... the racing was good back in the day...because racing was affordable...and there was not much else to do....now...racing is not affordable....and there is to much to do...were losing fans and racers to other interests.... course....its hard to keep interest when 8 cars is a good car count...

When I started racing....we ran a b main every night. THAT makes for good races... I hope SAS does open...and...I would go and watch again....but...I just dont think it will ever live up to its reputation....hope I am wrong....AJ

I would rather watch a race at SAS with low car count then go to a 3/8 - 1/4 mile track and watch a full field with them not even giving it full throttle and cautions every lap. And thats why SAS was open for 30 years and others havent been or open and closed many times and HAS ALWAYS lived up to its reputation. Racing never was and still isn't affordable.

The difference in the car counts per class is because there are too many classes now. Pan American had two classes during it's really good times. I believe Highway 16 opened with just a few classes and when they had fewer classes was when they had their best shows. 50 cars between two classes is a lot higher average (and a lot better show) than 50 cars between 6 classes. I am not sure why this all came about but I think that is one of the bigger factors hurting racing. The best racing I go to now usually has three classes and a maximum of four classes. Higher car count averages, three hours of good racing and I get to go home at a decent time even after walking the pits. Kids these days are being cheated out of one of the funnest parts of going to racing as a kid. They don't get to walk around the pits and meet the drivers and have heroes because the shows (not all but most) don't end until everybody is totally exhausted and ready to go home. They don't get hooked by that like we used to as a kid. Remember walking the pits and meeting drivers and being in awe. Today the kids don't know the drivers and are just rooting for numbers and colors of cars instead of the driver that shook their hand or let them sit in his / her car last week. Look at the discussion about which late model class to run. What are there, six different classes of late models but they all look alike? Let the bitching begin now on what rules are going to make all those equal. Some tracks have so many classes you can't even tell the difference between some of them. All we need is an entry level, then a step up to a stock car with with a few modifications and different look than entry, then a modified where a guy can build his own chassis and then a top level class for the people that think they are the hot dogs whether it is because of money or they are good drivers. Throw the crates away and let the racers or engine builders do their thing. Engine building is half the fun of racing. Why take that away from the racers? I don't want to hear it equals the playing field because there is as much or more cheating with crates as their is with the others. If you don't believe me call around and find out the cost of a true racing, competitive crate.

Totally off subject, and im sure ima g catch crap for looking to far ahead, but im talking to the guys at the track about posiibly contacting ex track champions for recognition during opening ceremonies. I can get my cousin gary chappell out. Can Anyone else contact ANY ex track champs who would attend and if so, who?

Shot an email out to the 1978 track champ the Beaumont Flyer earlier this week. Sent him the link to the new site.

Haven't heard back yet.

Billy

i wanted this to work for a selfish reason, of getting to race there atleast one more time.....

What he said. ^ Of course, we go to race one more time, and then we want to race one more time.

And one more after that...

And one more after that...

And one more..... :D

The Modifieds are currently running the Gulf Coast Rules

No they're not. Several differences like shocks, tires, etc.

Tom,

There are plenty tracks with rules that will let all types of late models run together. I'd start by looking at Jennerstown, PA and probably CO. The problem is going to be tires. Someone mentioned TAMS, but they ran 2 different types of Hoosiers (depending on motor config). You don't have that option with Goodyears. And even if SAS runs Hoosiers, who's going to go out and buy 8 or more tires for 1 race.

Also, alot of people posting on here are talking about large purses to draw out-of-staters. I haven't seen anything yet that would even indicate there is going to be a purse.

There's no reason to have 4 entry level classes. People get bored when there area Mini Stocks, Grand Stocks, Thunderstocks. Each of those classes probably averages 8-9 cars at best. Why not only have one entry level class with 15-20 cars. Too many classes and an over saturation of entry level classes is not a good thing.

would be awsome to see car counts like they had in the early years i went there from day one and like nick would proably admitt it was hard to leave pan am but the times had changed and when hwy 16 first opened they had some grat cars and drivers they also payed at least double what pan am did now days i dont see a track being able to pay enought to get the car count.but i hope they get it going even after my son started running dirt we would try to go see a big show there and would again

FIRST time at SAS was around 81 or so. Started about 30th or so and finished 17th... walked around all week with my chest stuck out. The next week i got to start up front and by the end of the first lap I was last! Came back down to earth!

3 or 4 weeks later, Driving that old battleship that Fred and I built, I was tired of the front end "bouncing" throught the corners and had welded mounting brackets on the RF for an illegal 50/50 racing shock. Led my first lap ever that night *Turning Point* for me. As I was coming off of 4 it was an incredible feeling to lead the first lap until about the flag stand and I glanced at my mirror and was terrified at what was coming! Made it through it though.

Lasting memory;

A year or so later racing hard (over my head) with the old car, and as LB23 was going around me (as he did every time I was in the same race as he) I washed up into his door and gave him a lil shot. Went over after the race to apologize and he complimented my improvement. Chest stuck out again! LOL!

...A year or so later racing hard (over my head) with the old car, and as LB23 was going around me (as he did every time I was in the same race as he) I washed up into his door and gave him a lil shot. Went over after the race to apologize and he complimented my improvement. Chest stuck out again! LOL!

Larry doesn't give out many of those.

Nick

Totally off subject, and im sure ima g catch crap for looking to far ahead, but im talking to the guys at the track about posiibly contacting ex track champions for recognition during opening ceremonies. I can get my cousin gary chappell out. Can Anyone else contact ANY ex track champs who would attend and if so, who?

I CAN GET A HOLD OF ABOUT 6 OF THEM!!!

Here is a list of them: I put a town next to the ones I know/knew a location; they may have changed here and there.

San Antonio Speedway

Track Champions 1977 - 2005

1977 Hi-Way 16 Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – Terry Labonte-- N.C.

Limited Sportsman – Steve Klestinec-- Creedmoor, Tx

1978 Hi-Way 16 Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – Freddy Fryar--Cassville, Mo

Limited Sportsman – Danny Stewart--Austin

1979 Hi-Way 16 Raceway

Late Model Sportsman –- Slick Yoemans--N.C

Limited Stock - ??????

Thunder – Gary Chappell-- San Antonio area

1980 Hi-Way 16 Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – Rick Rapp -- Corpus

Limited Stock - Eddie Bierschwale -- San Antonio

Thunder – Ervin Breiten, Jr.--SAn Antonio

1981 Hi-Way 16 Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – Tommy Davis--Boerne

Limited Stock – Carl Wentreck--Port Aransas

Thunder – Ervin Breiten, Jr.

1982 Hi-Way 16 Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – Keith Riethmeyer--Hutto

Limited Late Model – Carl Wentreck

Thunder – Gary Chappell

Lightning – Melvin Meyer, Jr.--San Antonio I think

1983 San Antonio Speedway

Late Model Sportsman – Hubert Bean-- This area and Del Rio

Limited Late Model – Tex Horn-- Poteet

Thunder – Ervin Breiten, Jr.

1984 San Antonio Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – Keith Riethmeyer

Limited Late Model – Wally Garcia--San Antonio

Super Stock – Beaver Stelzig-- What day is it?

Pro Street Stock – Terry Brooks-- Austin area

Novice Street Stock – Bill Mann

1985 San Antonio Raceway

Late Model Sportsman – John Kelly--Sutherland Springs

Super Stock – Gary Chappell

Street Stock – Terry Brooks

1986 San Antonio Raceway

Super Series – John Kelly

Late Model Stock – Ervin Breiten, Jr.

Super Street Stock – Gene Couch-- Adkins

Bomber – Willie Mazur

Four Cylinder Modified – Ricci Ware, Jr.--Boerne

1987 San Antonio Raceway

Super Series – George Hagy III--San Antonio

Late Model Stock – Darrell Forrest

Super Street Stock – Gene Couch

Bomber – Jason Oates--San Antonio

Four Cylinder Modified – Ricci Ware, Jr.

1988 San Antonio Raceway

Late Model Stock – Beaver Stelzig

Super Street Stock – Ervin Breiten, Jr.

Bomber – Bill Kaiser

1989 San Antonio International Speedway

Super Stock – Beaver Stelzig

Modified Stock – Donny Horelka--Jourdanton

Hobby Stock – Bobby Villanueva--San Antonio

Open Wheel Modified – John Meyer--Floresvville

1990 San Antonio International Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Jason Oates

Charger – Bobby Villanueva

1991 San Antonio International Speedway

NASCAR Late Model Stock – Jason Oates

Super Street Stock – Kenny Hurley--New Berlin area

Charger – Joe Aramendia--Lake McQuenney

1992 San Antonio International Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – George Hagy III

Super Street Stock – Larry Bendele--Adkins

Charger – Lloyd Fisher, Jr.--San antonio?

1993 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Ervin Breiten, Jr.

Super Street Stock – Larry Bendele

Charger – Steve Smith--San Antonio?

1994 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Ervin Breiten, Jr.

Sportsman – Robert Barker--Boerne

Charger – Scott Jerkins--Adkins

1995 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Robert Barker

Sportsman – David Barker IV--Boerne area

Charger – Terry Bernsen

1996 River City Raceway

NASCAR Late Model – Donny Horelka

Super Street Stock – David Barker IV

Charger – David Edwards--San Antonio

1997 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Jason Oates

Super Street Stock – Brandon Bendele--La Vernia

Charger – Bob Smith Blanco?

Thunder – Tammy DeSalme-Bernsen

1998 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Brandon Bendele

Super Street Stock – Terry Bernsen

Charger – Leland Waddell--Austin

Thunder – Charlie Henley--this area

Super Late Model – Mike Denman--Corpus

1999 San Antonio Speedway

Super Street Stock – Kenny Hurley

Grand American Modified – Dennis Taylor--Live Oak

Charger – Greg Rohmer--San Antonio

Thunder – Robert Mayberry--San Antonio

2000 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Donny Horelka

Super Street Stock – R.L. Alexander--Pipe Creek

Grand American Modified – (TIE) Chris Swenson and Newton Barta, Jr. Boerne and Somerset area

Charger – Greg Rohmer

Thunder – Robert Mayberry

2001 San Antonio Speedway

Super Street Stock – Kevin Bendele-San Antonio area

Grand American Modified – James Cole--San Antonio

Charger – Jesse Salazar--SAn Antonio

2002 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Mike Balzer--SAn Antonio

Super Street Stock – Damon Bean--SAn Antonio

Charger – Jeff Smith--La Vernia

2003 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Larry Bendele

Sportsman – Marcus Bellino--SAn antonio?

Road Runner – Chris “Homer” Pitner--San Antonio

2004 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model – Larry Bendele

Sportsman – Justin Oates--Adkins

Road Runner – Greg Rohmer

Women on Wheels – Kelly Earnhardt--San Antonio

2005 San Antonio Speedway

NASCAR Late Model - Robert Barker

Sportsman - Greg Rohmer

Road Runner - Randy Frautschi

Women On Wheels - Mona Turner

BY: Steven Jung

Here is what the fans see when they go......Late Model cars, Modifieds, Trucks, and an entry level car. They(for the most part) dont know anything else about them except that they are loud, fast and fun to watch. When this big race happens (or not) there might not even be a purse. If there is it might not be much. This is an opportunity to race at SAS at least on more time and for fans to see these races one more time. Why not just let LM's run no matter whats under the hood and same with the other classes. I would think most drivers would agree just so they can go FAST around SAS again. If everyone agreed to this up front I dont see a problem. The fans sure would like to see a whole bunch of cars going around SAS again. If there are a bunch of cars to put on a SHOW for the fans maybe, just maybe someone would want to invest some of their $ into the track. Its all about the SHOW folks. The rules can be worked out as time goes on. Who knows ........this might be the LAST race. Just a thought. Im sure I should keep my mouth shut but this is how I see it.

I'm a 100% positive this race will happen. How do i know? Don't ask. And pretty sure there will be more races to come. This isn't a maybe or "IF" it will happen. Why would someone do all of this work to the track, make a website, donations that have been made by many, and have work days for not being so sure? That's stupid. The pondering about SAS went on for 5 years and now that came to an end. So get that SAS set-up book out and change the rear gear back to "normal" and wait for the rules.

Papa without trying to sound like a smart donkey, it's just not that simple. If you were to tell a group of racers to come out and just have fun and make some laps without any rules someone would taxi a leer jet in the back gate and be mad as hell when he is told he can't get on the track, yet the guy with 12 inch tires can. I assure you that someone would try something like that, and it would most likely be one of the racers in Toms list above because if it is for money or for free they want to win, or at the very least be faster than everybody else. we are our on worst enemy.

sorry was logged in under wrong screen name it should read Rollie Pollie

I'm guessing its just others who voted for the classes and they don't want too many classes they cant handle. Times for each race, laps, purse, limited pit space, etc. Put your car in the street stock. It's a good, fast car and and you know that. Just change heads, cam, springs, and rear gear. Many many different chassis have won at SAS. Its not only a camaro track.

Why would someone do all of this work to the track, make a website, donations that have been made by many, and have work days for not being so sure? That's stupid.

Why would people believe that they won the Irish Lottery, when they never bought a lottery ticket?......LOL(as in humor)

I've got a bunch more if you're really interested.....

Archived