1998 chevy 3/4 ton 5.7 vortec

Double D racing

While you are scanning the PCM, in DATA you can read other sensors during cranking so you can see if something isnt right. You could have seen the crank signal and the MAF signal, long term fuel trims , gone into mode 6 and looked to see what else could have been failing, looked up any Diagnostic codes and could have found the problem.

And yes, he isn't a sponsor on here but is a fellow racer and a good friend. The shop on the Eastside of SA is a good one and WILL NOT rip you off! ;)

I don't personally have any issue with someone recommending another shop, especially if it’s a racer. I assume you’re talking about Charlie Earnhardt’s place, I’ve met him a few times out at I-37 and he’s a standup guy, I’ve never heard anything but good about them and he’s on that side of town to boot!

ok,first,the well known shop on the east side was the place i WAS gonna take it,but didnt.because i thought i would take a shot at it first.the scanner came from ANOTHER friend tryin to save me some money.the other friend has been reading this scanner,not me...i am not a SAE certified mech. nor never claimed to be,jus tryin to save some money.now, i have contacted the well known shop on the east side a few times,regreting i did not take there in the first place,hes directed me to just a few suggestions....one....bring it to the shop....bein squareheaded as i am,i refuse to give up jus yet.so please dont throw anybody under the bus but me.this is a learnin experience for me and a few others that are havin the same issues i got and that a few others HAD ....not all the symptoms are totally the same so i am gun shy on wasting time and money on one thing, and wishing for lady luck on the other....i appreciate everybodys imput on this thread and i will not stop until the truck is runnin...AMEN

ok,first,the well known shop on the east side was the place i WAS gonna take it,but didnt.because i thought i would take a shot at it first.the scanner came from ANOTHER friend tryin to save me some money.the other friend has been reading this scanner,not me...i am not a SAE certified mech. nor never claimed to be,jus tryin to save some money.now, i have contacted the well known shop on the east side a few times,regreting i did not take there in the first place,hes directed me to just a few suggestions....one....bring it to the shop....bein squareheaded as i am,i refuse to give up jus yet.so please dont throw anybody under the bus but me.this is a learnin experience for me and a few others that are havin the same issues i got and that a few others HAD ....not all the symptoms are totally the same so i am gun shy on wasting time and money on one thing, and wishing for lady luck on the other....i appreciate everybodys imput on this thread and i will not stop until the truck is runnin...AMEN

In my opinion the best thing you could do is post a clear and concise list of specific symptoms and times they occur, everyone is here to help!

I just want to be sure that everyone knows that James Higdon and BullFrog Auto Sales, Service and Speed Shop are advertisers on Lone Star Speezdone. The guy who makes the banner ads for me is buried in work for the next month, or so, so you won't see the Bullfrog banner up for a bit.

Part of the package when you advertise on here is that you get to use the forums and classifieds to promote your business. What a deal!

And Charlie keeps threatening to advertise on here. One of these I'll land that account!

Nick

Have you checked ECM fuses? Have you looked under the hood for chaffed wires or wires that were stripped back that may be making contact? Also depending on how starter kill was done, some companies don't interrupt starter they actually go one step further and interrupt +12V to ECM. Get under the dash and look for loose wires.

As stated I would not go to much further without hooking it up to a scanner...

well, the very first day we checked all fuses,(with a test lite)all wires leading to all sensors,fuse boxes etc...as soon as i get time this weekend to get back on it i will start with charging the battery,checking all grounds and lead wires,check the wires to the fuel pump....the motor turns over jus fine,i jus replaced the starter no too long ago....i think i will buy a cap and rotor,pull the plugs and test each plug wire,i think they were changed out not too long ago,im gonna pull the crank sensor back out,ck the plug to it ,and do that little wrench thingy and see if it fires or not.gonna have to go back and read how you did that...i really appreciate all the advice from all of you...i have no doubt this thing will eventually get done....gonna price a dist. tomorrow just in case....thanks..Danny

well, the very first day we checked all fuses,(with a test lite)all wires leading to all sensors,fuse boxes etc...as soon as i get time this weekend to get back on it i will start with charging the battery,checking all grounds and lead wires,check the wires to the fuel pump....the motor turns over jus fine,i jus replaced the starter no too long ago....i think i will buy a cap and rotor,pull the plugs and test each plug wire,i think they were changed out not too long ago,im gonna pull the crank sensor back out,ck the plug to it ,and do that little wrench thingy and see if it fires or not.gonna have to go back and read how you did that...i really appreciate all the advice from all of you...i have no doubt this thing will eventually get done....gonna price a dist. tomorrow just in case....thanks..Danny

you talking about my wrench thingy.lol i pulled the crank sensor .ran a wrench across the sensor ..if it is working .it will have a magnatic feel to it .almost like trying to put two magnets together and they push away .not a very strong push .but you will feel it ..i swiped the wrench side to side really close with out touching it ..its a trick to get it right ..as you do that have someone start it .the wrench thingy was out of the blue deal .hell back then i had to try anything that came to mind ........wild as it was ..check your pm.

• 2 weeks later...

taking truck to repair shop monday. I will keep posted on the outcome. i have no more faith or patience in myself.Once this truck is fixed i will be looking for a mid 70's long wheelbase pickup.Chevrolet.....possibly intrested in a trade....

B)B):huh: Well boys and girls,today is friday and i drove my 1998 chevrolet 3/4 ton truck home...runs great...thanks to that fine Eastside San Antonio shop i can honestly say......WOW !!! NO WAY ?!?!.... Your bullsh... me...One of those deals that you wouldve never expected...All i can say is Charlie,YOU THE MAN !!!!! bet yal cant even guess what it was....and no it wasnt loose lug nuts....

B)B):huh: Well boys and girls,today is friday and i drove my 1998 chevrolet 3/4 ton truck home...runs great...thanks to that fine Eastside San Antonio shop i can honestly say......WOW !!! NO WAY ?!?!.... Your bullsh... me...One of those deals that you wouldve never expected...All i can say is Charlie,YOU THE MAN !!!!! bet yal cant even guess what it was....and no it wasnt loose lug nuts....

well let me take a wild guess with the clues you gave me ..dist cap ..i knew it all along and tried and tried to get you to change it .lol..........something symple .....ok ok i was close .distributor problem ...

Thank you very much Danny, Glad we got it figured out for you. I don't know why but in the last year or so those style of caps have started causing problems like that. but Thanks again.

Archived