Hebert Sweeps South Texas Shootout Weekend 12/4/10

South Texas Shootout, presented by ARC Demo @ South Texas Speedway, 12/3-4/10

By J M Hallas

Corpus Christi, Tx.,(Dec. 4Th, 2010) The 2010 racing season concluded with the final night of South Texas Speedway's, South Texas Shootout. Limited Modified drivers had one last chance to race on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, clay oval and transfer to the big A-main finale paying $4,500 to win.

Passing points in the heat races set the fields for two brutal B-mains that were filled with plenty of excitement and drama. The top six from each B-main transferred to the A-main along with one track provisional setting up the 26-car field.

Hebert Hustles to South Texas Shootout Sweep

Louisiana's Shane Hebert hit the set up, as well as a little luck, and went wire to wire for the big payday. Hebert started on the pole and held off early charges from his brother Danny, and Randy Timms after several cautions. Once the race stayed green Hebert outran Sean Jones as he diced through traffic in the latter stages of the 45-lap event. Hebert, who swept the weekend, easily took the checkers by a half straightaway on Jones.

Veteran Corpus driver Lawrence Mikulencak survived several incidents to come home third, with Randy Timms fourth and Steve Whiteaker jr. rounding out the top five

When the green waved S. Hebert got a good jump off turn 4 to lead into the first corner with D. Hebert, Timms and Steve Whiteaker sr. in pursuit while Jones took fifth from Mikulencak. Ray Schaalman brought out an early caution on lap 2 when he had trouble and stopped in turn 4. On the restart Whiteaker sr., Jones and Mikulencak were three wide for fourth with Jones getting the spot leaving Mikulencak side by side with Whiteaker jr. for sixth.

Jones was just trying Whiteaker sr. on the low side when Shane Hoefling got turned and collected Mickey Helms, James Myers and Josh Majek in turn 2. As the green flew again Mikulencak made a big move to get past Jones and Whiteaker sr. but Brian Rye got spun by Dwayne Norvell to bring out a yellow and negate the pass. Once back to green the pack stacked up in turn 2 with Whiteaker sr. taking third from Timms as everyone continued on.

Dustin Butcher, battling an ill handling car, brought a yellow on lap 8 when he went around in turn 4. S. Hebert got good jump on green, but debris on the track quickly brought the yellow back out. S. Hebert again got away clean on green, but Paul White made contact with Mikulencak who spun to bring out a yellow. White was charged with the caution and sent to the tail. Finally back under green Whiteaker sr. was able to drive around D. Hebert for second.

Mikulencak moved in on Timms looking for fifth while Brian Rye and Whiteaker jr. fought for seventh. Jones got along side D. Hebert for third only to have yellow wave for a spin by Ken Hobbs in turn 4. On the restart D. Hebert retook second from Whiteaker sr. with Timms getting along side and past Whiteaker sr. for third. Rye picked up sixth taking the position away from Mikulencak. Up front D, Hebert was pressuring his brother getting the nose inside on lap 12, but not getting by.

In the pack Rye, Mikulencak and Whiteaker jr were three wide for sixth. Rye and Mikulencak made contact sending Mikulencak around for a lap 13 caution that sent Rye to the tail. As green was shown again Timms took second from D. Hebert, as Whiteaker jr. and Mikulencak ran wheel to wheel for fifth. Jones got along side and past D. Hebert for third on lap 14. Whiteaker jr. battled with his dad on laps 16-18 with Whiteaker jr. getting the position. Whiteaker jr then moved in on D. Hebert for fourth.

At the crossed flags it was S. Hebert, Timms, Jones, D. Hebert and Whiteaker jr. in the top five as driver began to turn up the wick. Whiteaker jr. got beside D. Hebert on lap 23 trying to take fourth. Timms tried a dive bomb move on S. Hebert for the lead but was held off. Mikulencak caught Whiteaker jr. and battled side by side on lap 29 finally getting the spot. Mikulencak then snuck past D. Hebert for fourth on lap 30, while Jones was working on Timms for second.

Timms and Jones then swapped second, as White worked his way back into the top ten. Timms tried to retake second from Jones but ended up giving third to Mikulencak on lap 34. While the battle for second was on S. Hebert used the opportunity to break away as he closed on slower traffic. S. Hebert had good advantage after getting through lapped traffic, while White made his way back to seventh.

With five laps to go S. Hebert had cleared traffic holding about a half straightaway margin over Jones who had a gap back to Mikulencak with another gap back to Timms and Whiteaker jr battling nose to tail. S. Hebert caught a couple more back markers on the final lap but held his lead cruising to the checkers in the American Standard, Specialty Automotive, Majestic Metals, Showtime Signs, Day Motorsports, Express Race Car.

“Tonight was more about consistency and trying not to make any mistakes,” replied Hebert. “The first half of the race I tried to conserve tires, but I may have too much of that. I saw more brother get inside of me once and after we got going I saw Randy(Timms) try under me. They showed me a better line than I was running. When you're out front you're not sure which line is best so you search around. Showing me their nose showed me the line they were running. Once I did I was able to take off from there.”

“We didn't change much from last night, except add more fuel. The main thing I changed was my driving style for the first 25-30 laps. I wanted to make sure we had a car for the end of the race. After found that groove around the bottom whatever was going to happen, was going to happen.”

“All the cautions at the beginning were kind of frustrating. I wanted to get some runs in and see how the car was going work. I wanted to get a rhythm down and see if I could fend off someone and hold my own. Once we got going I was able to stretch it out and we came home on top.”

When we pulled the distributer for tech we found something had come loose inside. One of the bolts came out and fortunately it didn't get hung up in the rotor button. We got lucky on that. We definitely had something on side this weekend after the tire deal last night and this. It's unusual, this year we've usually been on the bad side of the luck deal. This weekend was a different story.”

Limited Modifieds

9 Shane Hebert, Lafayette, La.

94 Sean Jones, Mansfield

87 Lawrence Mikulencak, Corpus Christi

5T Randy Timms, Wheatland, Okla.

89 Steve Whiteaker jr. Corpus Christi

9B Danny Hebert, Duson, La.

2w Paul White, Temple

88 Steve Whiteaker sr. Corpus Christi

90 Dustin Butcher, Robstown

07 Adam Schach, McAllen

20 Dwayne Norvell, Corpus Christi

2 Eddy Ross, Corpus Christi

47 James Myers, Corpus Christi

14 GW Hessong,

82jp James Park, Corpus Christi

1c Ken Hobbs, Corpus Christi

12 Ruben Montes,

4$ Brian Rye, Corpus Christi

21 EJ Gilpin, Corpus Christi

25m Justin McCoy, Ovilla

6 Vince Louden, Shiner

63 Shane Hoefling, Meyerville

91 Bobby Maupin, Weslaco

175 Mickey Helms, Victoria

82 Josh Majek, Corpus Christi

2R Ray Schaalman,

Limited Modified B-mains(Top 8 to A-main)

B-main 1

89 Steve Whiteaker jr

6 Vince Louden

63 Shane Hoefling

175 Mickey Helms

2R Ray Schaalman

82 Josh Majek

1c Ken Hobbs

12 Ruben Montes

138 Chris Brandt

114 David Meredith

75x Bo Beckner

6x Hector Aguirre

7K Lupe Gomez

99 Joe Barnec

38 David Schurry

90 Dustin Butcher

1 Trice Hermes---DNS

25 Brian Brooks--DNS

55 Danny Brown--DQ(Rough Driving)

B-main 2

4$ Brian Rye

21 EJ Gilpin

91 Bobby Maupin

20 Dwayne Norvell

47 James Myers

82jp James Par

2 Eddy Ross

14 GW Hessong

3c James Lee

2c Steve Grantz

17 Larry Sbrusch

34 Michael Walker

70 George Egbert

3D Ray Doyon III

1D James Droddy

115 Chuck Perry

26g JJ Jennings---DQ(Rough Driving)

211 Dean Hollier--DQ(Rough Driving)

Limited Modified heat races(Passing points to set B-mains)

Heat 1

6 Vince Louden

89 Steve Whiteaker jr

114 David Meredith

47 James Myers

138 Chris Brandt

6x Hector Aguirre

1D James Droddy

Heat 2

3c James Lee

34 Michael Walker

1c Ken Hobbs

99 Joe Barnec

82 Josh Majek

211 Dean Hollier

Heat 3

175 Mickey Helms

2R Ray Schaalman

90 Dustin Butcher

70 George Egbert

26g JJ Jennings

63 Shane Hoefling

Heat 4

4$ Brian Rye

2 Eddy Ross

14m GW Hessong

38 David Schurry

3D Ray Doyon III

82jp James Park

Heat 5

55 Danny Brown

21 EJ Gilpin

2c Steve Grantz

115 Chuck Perry

12 Ruben Montes

25 Brian Brooks

Heat 6

20 Dwayne Norvell

7x Lupe Gomez

91 Bobby Maupin

75x Bo Beckner

1 Trice Hermes

17 Larry Sbrusch

Go-Kart Features

Adult Alcohol Karts

88 Wesley Varn

50 Kevin Donnegan

15 John McKinney

Senior

98 Cody Schach

7 Derrick Gonzalez

97 Michael Villarreal

15 Jamie Sullivan

18 Kyle Barton

14 Dylan Whitehead

5 Tyler Barr

21 Colin Carroll

22 Zach Calhoun

Junior

14 Dylan Whitehead

3 Dillon Moseley

34 Ryan Carlucci

36 Amelia Perez

1 Mason Casteneda

81 Kollyn Barton

Youth

36 Gilbert Perez III

5 Tyler Barr

88E Austin Euler

83 Tyler Gilpin

Yard Karts

13 Ashley Mouser

97 Bearuch Berryman

747 Zylar Bryant

7 Cayse Berryman

It was one wild and crazy night of racing. With $4500.00 on the line it brings out the worse in people. Those two yahoo's doing their business in turn one was absolutely wild. I told my son it reminded me of two knights doing a joust. Or like two rams butting heads. I don't know about the rest of you but to me it seems like the flagman was a little too quick on the yellow flags. I would like to have seen him give the guys time enough to straighten out and get going again. I have know the flagman for a long time and he is a very good man. Hey Rebelracewriter, I saw you Saturday night. I was going to say hi and introduce myself but you looked like if anyone said anything to you a knife or a gun would come out. Just kidding. You did seem to be in a hurry to get in the box though. Didn't want to slow you down. Congratulations to all the guys, they put on a great show!

That fog made it real tough on the scorers and me to see the back stretch.....It was much easier once the front blew it all out....

Ray, I didn't see who was under JJ clearly enough to say for sure...

Radical.....LOL....no weapons unless you consider a cig. lighter one.....You should have yelled at me anyway....

87 car had to modify sway bar (spacers) to satisfy some winers but he still had a pretty good car! needed less yellows-but most the front runners wanted longer green runs!

To satisy some "whiners"?? It obviously wasn't legal the way it was. So now they're "whiners" for bringing it to someone's attention??

Dont have a Say in this Class but this is what i found... So was it not OEM?

FRONT SUSPENSION: All components must be steel, unaltered OEM, in OEM location, and match frame. No jack bolts allowed. Adjustable spring buckets are allowed. Must use OEM upper and lower A-frames and mounts. OEM upper A-frame may be replaced using aftermarket upper A-frame (steel or aluminum cross shaft allowed), must display “IMCA approved” decal. Upper A-frame mounts may be modified and moved for caster and camber adjustment, but must remain OEM material. Lower A-frame mounts and bolt holes on frame must be in OEM location, mount may be notched for clearance. All A-frame bushings may be aftermarket, but no offset or bearing type. OEM or OEM replacement ball joints allowed, may be tacked in. Sway bars(optional) and brackets must remain OEM.

Yes i said thorough cause i dont exactly what was looked at. But distributors were out, carbs off, headers removed, plugs removed sight plug removed and i walked away from tech. So yes stuff was torn apart. No there were no pistons sitting on a table for a tech guy to look at. I dont know what was looked at. Should have came and supported the show cause tech was done in the grandstands for the world to see.

Just a quick clarification after getting a message from JJ.....The third car I saw under them at the time I looked had nothing(zero) to do with what happened.....I stand corrected....

To add to 89's list of things I saw teched......micrometer on valve springs and looked under the rear end(I didn't crawl under with them to know exactly what was looked at)

As for Lawrence's sway bar.....The bar itself and location were all perfectly legal......spacers were the only issue....and I don't see any specifics in the rules about that

the rules say stock sway bar and brackets but dont address end links, sleeves, bolts or bushings. If you run a racecar with adjustable suspension you need to be able to adjust the sway bar for ride height changes. I understand that he had to run end links with bushings and sleeves like a bomber car not a racecar. jmo

Bobby Jack

I run a sway bar with stock links on right side and all thread on the left.

Lawrence is just a great driver, and when your kicking the crap out of other good racers "you have got to be cheating" is the mentality. Good Job Lawrence, had you not been getting the snot beat out of your car most of the race Herbert might have had some competition.

Archived