any update on transponders

runninfords

May be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. If I have a racecar and rent/buy transponder and my buddy/brother/friend/neighbor/mechanic/sancho has a racecar also, can I lend him mine (same night)? Whether we split the cost or whatever, is this possible? I wanna say that this is done on a slightly different type race (R/C cars). I am now feeling my age as Oldtimer said in previous response, therefore am not 100%.

Yes you can as long as the cars are not in the same class. The potable one is very easy to switch from car to car All you have to do is buy a 5 dollar mounting bracket

This should help alot for some in my eyes. Thanks alot for your prompt response on this issue. Hope this helps most on this apparent dilemma. Most things can be resolved rationally with little thought and cooperation.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thet way I see it is there are a few that are making excuses not to run. If there was a "majic trick part" that would make your car a 1/2 second faster that cost a $1000.00 I would say 99.9 % of the drivers would be coming up with some ceative ideas on how to get that majic part one way or the other. To say that you cannot afford one is one thing. Can you afford not to run one? I think that is a legitamate question.

ratdaddy i dont give much thought as you do for reasons to not run .and maybe just use this as an excuse ... you know a total package of what .can a person afford to do this year ... i joe racer am already on a very tight budget .... now with everyone losing jobs ,. less working hours ..that little exstra i had just got smaller .so now can i race on this smaller budget maybe .. oh heck now the racetracks are adding a big cost ... even if i have to rent one for what 20 .or more dallors ..i may as well save what i have ..the gamble from racen just got alittle harder for me to take ........now as for a half second faster that cost a $ 1000.00 .. you cant put that into the same context as this .. . that he has a choice .... here is you have to have one period or you cant race ... its not a safety issue exspence ..its not performance exspence ....its just aboult timing you on the track and helps the track decide where you finished .. and it cost alot of money ....that $1000 part i can wait on and wish for and still race ...that transponder i cant ..

OT,What you said iis true but also applies to the tires.Thats why I always have been against going back to slicks.With street tires you can buy used cheep ones and still race,later getting new ones when it is possible.With slicks you need 400$ worth of tires just to race.Or some junk unsafe used ones.Like you I like to have a poor mans place too.

Time will tell about the transponders.

Thet way I see it is there are a few that are making excuses not to run. If there was a "majic trick part" that would make your car a 1/2 second faster that cost a $1000.00 I would say 99.9 % of the drivers would be coming up with some ceative ideas on how to get that majic part one way or the other. To say that you cannot afford one is one thing. Can you afford not to run one? I think that is a legitamate question.

ratdaddy i dont give much thought as you do for reasons to not run .and maybe just use this as an excuse ... you know a total package of what .can a person afford to do this year ... i joe racer am already on a very tight budget .... now with everyone losing jobs ,. less working hours ..that little exstra i had just got smaller .so now can i race on this smaller budget maybe .. oh heck now the racetracks are adding a big cost ... even if i have to rent one for what 20 .or more dallors ..i may as well save what i have ..the gamble from racen just got alittle harder for me to take ........now as for a half second faster that cost a $ 1000.00 .. you cant put that into the same context as this .. . that he has a choice .... here is you have to have one period or you cant race ... its not a safety issue exspence ..its not performance exspence ....its just aboult timing you on the track and helps the track decide where you finished .. and it cost alot of money ....that $1000 part i can wait on and wish for and still race ...that transponder i cant ..

So what do you do when you race at THR and you need a transponder?? Let me see if this makes sence to you. Lets say time is money, lets also say your time is worth $5 per hour, (I know yours is a lot more than that) and it takes about lets say 3 hours per night to do the scoring validate it and then revalidate it because some one was scored 15th instead of 14th multiply that by lets say 25 race nights, you have just made $375.00 :o

i dont know for sure but it seemks like i heard that even with the transponders you still have to have scores to count to make sure.everythings working and on the good side,or at least i would hope so.

because if your luck is like mine. the battery in transponder would go dead halfway throw the race.

so you got some one there counting any way.

now for that 25.00 per week to rent one i could put in gas and run up too pleasnton or maybe goild were the tracks are said to be a blast.and a lot of fun.last year the way it was set up till just before the yrs end. you had 2 or 3 cars that would dominate. and it was not fun for a entry leval class.when you went you know who was going to win. before the race was run.even the fans would count on that time for a snack or a beer run. so must not have been to good for them eather.mike started the split of cars as far as bomers and purestocks and car counts started to grow as well as fan count.

yrs ago when ccspeedway was the only track drivers had no choice. but now to spend money on things that are not safety or to biuld to improve to were thay can compete.dont make senice to me. you make it cost to play. im not going to pay to race and help put on a show for the fans.and not at least have a good time.no thanks

You are looking at this wrong way this a investment you will always be able to get your money back that you put in how many racing parts can you said that about also you can have transponder club were you and some 1 from each class divides the cost up . the battery when new last quite awhile or you can buy it and rent it out it just a thought be creative that's way most of us race anyway

You just have to adjust to changing times. I for one am against it, just like I was going back to racing tires. My tire bill is about four times what it was. Now we have to spend on transponders. Like Don said, what is it worth is to you....either pay, sit at home, or find another hobby.

Car counts went down with racing tires, they will probably go down with even more extra costs. I hope not. Weigh the losses at the pit gate and front gate against what it costs to pay scorers (I don't think they made very much).

I will pay for one because I can't stand seeing a racecar collect dust. Do what you have to do, I guess. Or go go-kart racing!

wish you all the best guys but im going to look forward to spending the extry were a beginner class is a beginner class. were you can run have fun and still a somewhat of a chance.and if the 2 or 3 cars that dominated the class last yr and ran away from the rest want too do the same this yr witch thay are far above a bomber cars and make a show that thay feel good about have fun but im going to go were a person can get a car out of the city pound and put in a cage and have fun.as i build to have

a big car that might run with them .but i still at that time im not going to put out more than i got a chance to get back. lets see spend 125. a week to run and get 100. back and not have a chance dont sound like a fun thing to me.but dan still makes money on the show if it gets going.

OT,What you said iis true but also applies to the tires.Thats why I always have been against going back to slicks.With street tires you can buy used cheep ones and still race,later getting new ones when it is possible.With slicks you need 400$ worth of tires just to race.Or some junk unsafe used ones.Like you I like to have a poor mans place too.

Time will tell about the transponders.

gb we are older and it comes down to change.......after further thought .i have come to this conclusion .... not always going to like it ..i could just get out of racen ..but its in my blood ..beer prices go up .and i dont but poeple still drink ..gas prices go up and we still drive ..someone told me tonight technology is what it is . i take as follow or get out of the way .... .. if the tracks want to run em .who am i to say its wrong ..just an old hardheaded fart .

Of course, every race team, every race car owner and every driver has the option to race or not race their car. The also have the option to run wherever the rules better match their resources and goals.

But I am continuously amazed when folks get on here and announce their intentions to race "elsewhere" or stay home because they don't like this or that.

What good does it do anyone? Does anyone honestly believe that the track is going to change their plans because someone gets on here and bitches about something?

Frankly, it makes the person doing the complaining look like a crybaby. And then, of course, others with similar complaints usually get on the bandwagon and make such a fuss that you have to either laugh or shake your head in disbelief. And if you're a race track manager, it's probably all very discouraging. Just what we need - more discouraged track managers.

The LSS forums are here so the Texas racing community can discuss various racing topics and concerns. The forums are not here to provide a soapbox for those with complaints. We have made that very clear in the past and I am making it clear again today.

Please feel free to contact me in person if anyone has concerns about the way the forums are managed.

Thanks.

Nick

Hello all, Im fairly new to the racing scene @ CC Speedway, yet lifelong Racing Fan. But thats beside the point, I just thought id voice my opinion since everyone else is, im trying to look at this situation from both sides of the fence. So here goes...

Well I know this is going to be a far fetched comparision but oh well. When Nascar decided to changed thier rules to run the car of tomorrow, god knows 43+ team owners didnt want to go build atleast what 5+ new cars that cost stupid amounts of money, but you wanna play you pay.

Im planning on racing this year in bombers which season starts what? in 3 weeks, i still dont even have a car! Im waiting for my tax return to come in so i can buy one, so thats saying how much of a pinch my wallet is in. But if im required to run a transponder to race and enjoy my childhood dreams of racing cars one day, im gonna find a way to come up with money for one. and quick.

Ok time for real scenarios.

So lets say your pissed and dont want to buy a transponder and your going to....

1) Sit at home and just stop racing. Ok say it cost you about $100 a week to run your car and enjoy yourself. So you sit home for 3 weeks and boom you have a transponder. Or just be a baby and just completely give up racing.

2) You dont care about a transponder you will go run somewhere else. Well say your a decent contender at CC SPDWY and get some payout from time to time, but you decide to go race at lets just use STS for instance, and you A) dont run well because you didnt change the setup of your car and arent placing like you use to therefor losing payout. or B) you change the setup of your car to better suit dirt, but isnt that cost you money for parts PLUS the time of changing ur car around rather then just wiring in a transponder. C) Im not to familiar with all the tracks around south texas but from what im told the majority of them run transponders as well, plus now your wasting time and gas money traveling 100+ miles to go to another track. D) Who knows maybe after this season of CC SPDWY running x-ponders STS will jump on the band wagon then you will have no choice but to buy one to run in Corpus.

3) I believe Mike told everyone last year he wanted to run transponders but didnt want to just throw it on everyone for the 08 season, and said in 09 we will be running transponders. So its not like this is entirely new news. As well when Dan held the first track meeting this year, he said we will be running them, I didnt hear anyone complain about it, they just asked if they were going to be AMB(I think thats right, im a n00b remember), or the other kind. And if they knew the cost or how to obtain one.

4) If your running super streets or sport mods, and i suppose thunders, then you should be able to afford a transponder. Bombers is an entry level class which I think shouldn't have to run them because well thats exactly the point. Someone wants to buy a cheap car, see if they truely enjoy racing at the low end level and see if they want to progress from there. But then again I can see the point of view from the other classes and probably even the track managments view. Its got to be a even playing field, if those 3 classes have to have them then well the bombers should too I suppose. As a new comer never racing before except go-karts years ago when i was 10 I dont think its exactly cool to have to buy a part thats worth about 1/4 of my car total. But hey if thats the rules, then thats the rules.

5) Maybe you have a teamate(s) that isnt in the same class as you, yall can get the removal battery powered transponder and switch them between cars, sure its a pain keeping up with batterys but hey its saving atleast 2 of you a decent chunk of change right? batteries in bulk are pretty cheap and just put a sticker on your gas tank, "DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE BATTERIES!!!" and your problem is solved till you and ur teamate(s) can come up with another x-ponder.

Anyways these are just a few things I thought about while reading this thread and figured id throw my opinion in the air. Thanks for the read, hope to not step on anyones toes, and if any of my information is wrong im sorry im a newbie. It is 2009 and I know we are in a "Recession" but if your racing your not really worried about that now are you. So Technology is the way the world works now, we all know this and live happily with it, so its time we get with the program!Hope to see everyone @ the track with somewhat of a smile on.

Thanks, Nick T.

oh yea forgot one.

6) Say you know you finished 6th but the scorekeepers got you coming in say 9th. Sure its the same payout but its what, 20points difference. Maybe your a top contender in points and just had an off night, that 20 points could hurt you. So more accurate scoring has to be a +.

Thats all thanks again.

Well Proxy what you said was race where you can acheve the best return.Thats what I have been doing for years.Figguring the cost at the gate VS the payout it is economically better for me to drive 300 miles rather than race locally.

Now with the cost of ts rental ( I know the amount ) added I have to wait to see the purse to compair this year.Fuel went down so that figgures in too.Last year I ran half the races only because of diesel prices.Even winning was a break even deal.What Im concerned with now is will the car count be enough to have a decient purse.Im only one car so my opinion doesnt mean much.

What is the most depressing to me is I dont see ANY of the tracks doing anything to recrute drivers and cars.They all have the attitude take it or leave it and lots of people are leaving it.I remember when tracks did things to recrute racers like tow money,free passes for wives,contengency prizes at pit meetings,etc,to make racers feel important.I remember when CC Speedway even gave away prizes to the grandstands like dinner for 2,a case of oil.car wash,etc but nowdays every promoter is too busy just trying to remain open.Pit costs went up,purses went down and at this point there appears no solution.

I have always said the show needs to be expanded and add live music,stunt shows etc to recrute more fans.The largest fan count in the last 2 years I can remember was the nite of push carts,bike races and such because the fans got involved.

This has nothing to do with transponders but could affect the purses.Looks like we will have to waite to see where thats at.

So what do you do when you race at THR and you need a transponder?? Let me see if this makes sence to you. Lets say time is money, lets also say your time is worth $5 per hour, (I know yours is a lot more than that) and it takes about lets say 3 hours per night to do the scoring validate it and then revalidate it because some one was scored 15th instead of 14th multiply that by lets say 25 race nights, you have just made $375.00 :o

OT justs wants to "beach" and run his posts up....I never heard of him complaining when his group ran the pro sedans....:)

i dont understand this. yall all cry when track closes but when they open yall cant seem to like rules. as a old racer , i only made a 100.00 a week , but still spend money to race , i always found away to make money for tires or fuel . so the transponder , in my opinion is a good thing , if i was still running my car i would find a way to buy one ! and not cry about it .

i dont understand this. yall all cry when track closes but when they open yall cant seem to like rules. as a old racer , i only made a 100.00 a week , but still spend money to race , i always found away to make money for tires or fuel . so the transponder , in my opinion is a good thing , if i was still running my car i would find a way to buy one ! and not cry about it .

Amen brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

snake who let you out of your cage .........glad to see you still slivering .......you going to race ..btw hows your dad . mis talking to him ..

Nope, no racing, unless you letting me drive something! Mom & Dad doing well. Was down last weekend to help out around the house. He messed up his hand and had to get stitches...out in the wood shop building something and a board kicked out. He's ok though...just pissed off...LOL

I bought one straight out because I didn't think the deal for cc was going through. Okay maybe I paid a little more. I searched ebay for about a month with no results except one and the bidding was over 300 so decided to go with a new one. I was involved in an accident at San Antonio one night in a TAMS race and the transponder was ripped from the bottom of the car. Most tracks will keep scoring on paper to back up something like that. The transponder was found in the debris picked up by the track cleanup crew after the race so I didn't have to pay for it. No damage just the bracket torn off. Dan where are we going to mount them? Robin jump in and answer for him. I have been out of the country for about a month in the Middle East but am on my way home tonight.

Clare

THATS A GOOD QUESTION .....I SAW A RACE LAST YEAR THE DRIVER WHO CROSSED THE LINE FIRST .DIDNT WIN ..SEEMS THE SECOND CAR WITH SHORTER WHEELBASE AND PLACEMENT OF TRANSPONDER WON THE RACE .THE REAR OF THAT OTHER CAR CROSSED FIRST ...DONT ATTACK ME .NO PUN INTENDED ...

The transponders will be mounted just like they have them at Thunder Hill and HMP.

In the front of the car 24 inches to the rear of the lower right ball joint.We do have a diagram at the track to show it.

Archived