Results from 4-27-07

SassyCassie14

For Immediate Release: Tri-City Speedway Race Recap for 4/27/07

Five Area Cities Represented in the Winner's Circle.

The Tri-City Speedway has without a doubt become the address for Auto Racing in the San Antonio area. Last Friday night, drivers from 13 different cities finished in the top three positions in the various racing divisions.

The Pure Stocks, a division designed to provide low cost racing to anyone who would like to enjoy the fun and excitement of dirt track racing, provided fans with the largest number of entries. Leading the field to the winner’s circle from his starting position on the rear of the line-up was San Antonio ’s Adam Torres. Following Torres to the finish line was Mikey Faulkner, of Canyon Lake . Rounding out the top three in the Pure Stock feature event was 17-year-old Trevor Hilla, of Jourdanton.

Winner of the 15 lap Street Stock feature event was Barry Majors, racing out of Orange Grove. Taking home second place honors was Boerne's Eric Knudtson, with San Antonio's Joe Horne rounding out the top three finishers.

Pat Kelly, of Sequin, inherited the top spot and the win in the Super Stock division when Poteet's Abe Mares expired an engine with just a few laps to go. Gary Hunter, of Elmendorf, was the event's runner-up ahead of New Braunfel's Terry Votion. The feature was a slam-bang door handle to handle that had fans on their feet for most of the event.

In the IMCA Sport Mod feature event Mickey Helms, of Victoria captured top honors, ahead of Andy VanBlarcum of Robstown. Third place went to Shiner's Vince Loudon.

In the IMCA Modifieds the winner was Shawn O'Bannon, of Johnson City , who lead the complete race from his starting spot on the front row. He was pressured for most of the 20 laps by Kerrville's Greg Dinsmore, but Dinsmore's late race problems gave the second place money to San Antonio's Curt Clegg. Following Klegg to the finish line was Corpus Christi driver Bobby Grube.

Another night of exciting dirt track racing is scheduled for next Friday evening, with the first green flag waving at 8:00pm. Added to the program will be the fun and excitement of a Powder Puff event featuring the ladies. The Tri-City Speedway is located on the frontage road of I-37 at the 101 mile post.

LMAO.......Easy Greg. Drink an Azul, count to ten, drink another Azul :lol: Guess this guy would never be able to handle the Supernationals.....6-10 hours of racing a day would probably kill him. :lol::lol:

texasprd, I'm with Greg, been all over the Midwest, Texas, and a couple tracks in Colorado, and New Mexico and 11:30 is a pretty darn good ending time. Could it be better, of course, but getting all twisted out of shape over it is pretty......well, you know. Considering they had one red flag makes it an even better ending time. Hell I've seen tracks start at 7:00 or earlier and end after 11:30.

Actually, I'd love to see the Supernationals (IMCA, right?) - 400+ cars, tightly-run show from what I've heard... Probably won't happen though - my wife has this weird notion that I should take most of my vacation time with my family... :P

I've enjoyed several 10+ hour days of racing just fine, thank you - NHRA, and AHRA before that. Those shows were tightly run, and so are the Supernationals, from what I hear. Think about the difference in the number of cars, vs. the difference in time. I don't mind something like that myself, if there's enough action to justify it. But it's not me alone that I'm thinking of, in this case.

Point is, I'd like to be able to bring my kids to the races so they can grow to enjoy and appreciate it, too. The trouble is, lots of kids will not cheerfully sit through a 3-1/2 hour show unless their is something to keep them riveted. I brought my older son two years ago, and haven't been able to convince him to go again. The younger son has never been - keeps saying "no". If kids have a poor experience, they're not willing to try again. A 3-1/2 hour show that includes repeat-races (i.e. same cars in heat & feature due to low count, w/ basically the same results) is not interesting to them. Am I "all twisted out of shape" to be concerned about that? Why spend that amount of money and have to leave early and miss what should be the best races, when there are other weekend-entertainment options that cost less take less time, and which the kids can make it through? I know red-flag events are a special-case, but I agree with BRH - for the currently-small car counts in some of the classes, it seems like the show could still be faster. (I know the car-count is outside Chico's control, and I certainly want to see that improve!)

And for the racers who are reading this or who have already responded, please remember that your perspective is probably different from mine as a fan. I think it was Greg D. that pointed out a couple of weeks ago, if no one says anything, then it's thought to be okay as it is. If you took a survey of fans at the track, you might find a fair number that agree - they just aren't on here.

Believe it or not, I want to see Tri-City thrive. I think it's better than it was and I applaud Chico for that, and hope it will continue to improve.

The only way to keep kids interested is to involve them. Mine stay interested in racing because we treat it as a family event and involve them in every way. They will watch for awhile. Otherwise let them do what they like, PLAY HARD.

11:30 is not bad. I get home about 1:30, get a little shut eye, wash the car, change the motor, load back up and race again. Hopefully the motor things not weekly!!!

ACTUALLY 4 YEARS AGO WE WERE DRAG RACING AND WAS LICENSED AS A PRO COMP DRIVER AND RAN NHRA AND MANY OTHER SHOWS SO WE CAN PUT THIS TO REST IF U WANT AND FOR THE SECOND SHOW AWESOME JOB AND FROM UR PREVS POSTS U COMPLAIN ALOT SO MAYBE I CAN SEE UR KIDS POINT BUT I DONT THINK ITS ABOUT THE RACES. CHICO AND CREW HAVE DONE AN AWESOME JOB AND THE FANS ARE WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT BUT IF 1 FAN IN THE CROUD MAKES 40 OTHERS UNHAPPY WITH COMPLAINING ABOUT SUCH A SMALL THING THEN WHAT IS NEXT. YEAH AS I SAID BEFORE YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM IF SOMETHING IS WRONG BUT REALLY 30 MINS IS GOING TO STEER YOU AWAY? IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT? ALL I AM SAYING IS WE HAVE A PLACE TO RACE AND HAVE FANS COME OUT, IF YOU LOVE RACING SUPPORT IT, DONT TRY TO BRING DOWN THESE GUYS EFFORTS WITH YOUR CONSTANT COMPLAINING.

SUPER NATIONALS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 27 YEARS FOR A FACT. IF YOU HAVE RACED THE SUPER NATS YOU KNOW YOU ARE RUSHED AND PUSHED, YOU GET STUCK ON SOMEONES BUMPER ON RESTART YOU ARE BOTH OUT OF RACE END OF STORY. THEY DONT EVEN ALLOW KIDS UNDER 18 IN THE PITS. IT IS FAST PACED AND VERY STRESSFUL. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A ITENIARY IN YOUR HAND AND LISTEN CLOSELY TO KEEP UP.

CHICO IS DOING GREAT!! YOU MADE YOUR COMPLAINT NOW WAIT FOR IT TO BE HANDLED. ASK YOUR KIDS SPECIFICALLY WHY THEY DONT WANT TO GO...BET ITS NOT BECAUSE OF 30 MINS.

WE HAVE A 6,4, AND 3 YEAR OLD....WE KNOW IT TAKES ALOT TO KEEP A KIDS HOOKED.

THANKS TO ALL THE FANS COMING OUT TO TRICITY!!! WE LOVE SEE THOSE STANDS FULL!!!!!!!!!

GREG D AND FAMILY

Texasprd,

You can’t win this debate. I know these people and I guarantee they are more passionate and more involved in the sport than you. Their involvement in time, effort and money far exceeds yours, probably by a 1000 to 1.

Having said that, I do think that your opinion as a fan is important. Dirt track racing in this area has not been the most “Fan Friendly” experience out there and still has a way to go.

But, the reality is that tracks all over the country are shutting down because of low attendance and low car count. Trying to find someone that first of all has the desire and secondly the resources to take on the challenge of operating a racetrack is not an easy task. It seems to be more difficult in this area than most.

Racers and their families are the most resilient and optimistic people on earth. They will defend a track owner/promoter to the end if they think he is right or they will abandon him in a heartbeat if the think he’s wrong. They will normally give a new owner or promoter a fair and fighting chance and will support him as best they can. The dirt racers in this area will support Chico and Tri-City and won’t allow anyone to discredit them unnoticed. To critique him on a weekly basis serves no useful purpose.

I agree with you that cranky kids are no fun. I have raised two that at times were a real challenge. I understand that a long show and short patience don’t go together either. Believe me, Chico is motivated to get the show over quick. Just stop and think who’s paying the ambulance, the workers and the light bill. Makes your problem seem less significant doesn’t it? So why don’t you wait a reasonable amount of time for things to meet your expectations at Tri-City? And if they do, bring your children, their friends, their parents, your co-workers, and anyone else you know. And if they don’t, find something else you can enjoy with your kids.

Seems to me you are somewhat new to the area or at least new to dirt racing in this area. I would be more than happy to sit down over lunch (on me) and give you a brief history lesson on how we got to this point. (In my opinion anyway)

Herb Shaw

Herb's buying lunch?????? Where, when!!!!!! :lol::D If it's at a Hooters, you know I'll be there. ;)

texasprd, you should take Herb up on his offer, it's not often he opens his billfold up......watch out for the moths. If "The Bull" is in attendence........just keep your hands and/or children a safe distance away and you should be fine.

Now I don't your kids ages, but, like some mentioned, getting them involved is one good way to keep them interested. I know that Greg, Herb and probably 99% of the other drivers would be glad to let them sit in a their race cars. My previous G/F had a 9/10 year old when we were together, he loved to sit the cars and I got a dirt track racing game for the computer that made him WANT to go to the track with me. I'd take him in the pits, introduce the drivers, collect hero cards(when available). He loved it. Just some hints........

Yes the Supernationals is IMCA........400+cars just in the modifieds.....

Darin, you get good enough at that motor thing, you can get another hour of sleep. LOL

Herb, thanks very much for the kind offer but I prefer to pay my own way on lunch - I'd prefer you save the money for that all-demanding "girlfriend" called "race car"! I used to drag race and I know a car will let you spend every penny on it that you want to - it will never say "you shouldn't spend so much on me", will it? :lol:

Actually, I'm not new to the area - born & raised in San Antonio and been in the area (SA, UC, Adkins) for 32 of my 43 years. I'm not new to dirt racing in general (used to go regularly to EAMS when I lived in AL), but only found out & started going to Tri-City two years ago. Dirt or asphalt doesn't matter to me as long as the show is good.

I'll PM you, and we can get together if convenient, or talk by phone.

RWR, my younger son is 9. PAS, SAS, and Longhorn all would allow spectators in the pits afterwards - I did that as a kid myself at PAS. If younger-son could make it to the end of the night, then he would probably enjoy going into the pits. Trouble is, I don't think he could make it until 11:30 even with that to look forward to. When we go dancing on Saturday nights, he conks out NLT 10:30 - just lays his head on the table & goes to sleep even with the band going... The key is how long the show goes and how exciting it is.

I'd like to find out more about that game - I'll PM you for details. Thanks.

Everyone has great points, thats why I stoped gong to SAS in the past, 1 pm to see 4 classes of cars, I used to live in Iowa and West Liberty was a half mile dirt track that ran 6 classes and started at 7 and was done by 10 30, and this is well over 250 plus cars, there is something to be said about a track having a curfew, it gets there buts in gere and the the show over, I would much rather see a show in 3 hours with non stop good racing than to sit and see a 3 or 4 car race and last 5 hours, but it looks chico is in the right direction and I am sure he knows if people sit there past 11 they are not opt to come back, and looks to be getting it together, its only his second week, he seems to be doing ok, I have my car ready tonight but that damn "R" thing got us, so next week we will see if in time they cant get the show over in a good time THR will be the next choice, so chico ......go get them and no doubt you know what and how to do it.

[GEE BH IF U GO TO TRI CITY WITH ALL THE CAUTIONS U CAUSE WONT THAT DELAY THE SHOW U KNOW WERE NOT ALLOWED CAUTIONS AND 11 11 11 11 111 11111111111111111111111 IS ALL I HERE I THINK THE DIRT TRACK IS TOOOOOOOOOOOOO DIRTY ITSSSSSSSSSSS TO LATE HA HA HA HEEE GREG D :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

[iVE SEEN GOD AND ELVIS AND THE VIRGIN MARY IVE ALSO SEEN.... U DONT WANT TO KNOW. :unsure: KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK TRI CITY GIT ER DONE WHEN EVER ITS DONE ;)

Well Hell here is the thing I can't seem to understand.... What is the story in Pleasanton?

First of all I emailed Chico to find out about the rules asking what to expect @ his racetrack. Just trying to find out what class I would run in at Pleasanton so I can prep.

Have yet to get a response. Found out from a friend to keep trying.

Said Chico's having difficulties with email/website... trouble W/ emails over yet? Not asking for special treatment only an honest answer.

Barry Major's is a stand up guy. I'd defend him even when he's wrong. He's always taken care of me in Corpus. Barry and I run in the same class down here @ Rio Grande Speedway and @ South Texas Speedway. I take my hat off to Barry for driving all over the great state contributing to the car count at all the area tracks but I honestly don't know how he can afford it?

I live in South Texas so it's a bit of a drive to Pleasanton before I get some type of heads up from Chico.

I can't afford to get DQ'ed for a brake caliper or other rules violation. (*Now you understand why I'm waiting for a response to my email from Chico*)

I ran side by side with Barry in Edna, STS and Rio Grande. We both managed to beat 4 Super Stock's running bigger tires and more horses over in Edna so whats the story?

I've been hearing some BS down here from some of the Hobby Stock Drivers over at Rio Grande Speedway. They been talking all night about Barry blowing every one away in a lower class saying he should be running with the super stocks. I know Barry and he wouldn't even place his car in the line up if he thought for one instant that he was cheating. Hell he whooped up every night he has raced in Pleasanton driving possessed. I for one would show up @ Chico's track if only I had some concrete answers to all the controversy.

netz,

Have to agree with ya', Barry is a stand up guy. I need to call him today since I've been busy all week. I've talked to Barry and his wife at the track several times and on the phone. He is a great promotor for all the tracks...

Try Chico here: 210-818-4820

I have spoken to Chico several times at the track and on his cell. Chico is like Barry, very easy to talk to and very open. Sorry your having troubles getting a hold of him. We have only run twice at Tri-City and feel welcomed!

Hope this helps and have a great day!

Mark

P.S. You could proberly try Cassie also. She is good at getting answers for Us if Chico is busy...

NETZ SUNDAY THEY ARE HAVIN A PRACTICE

COMEOUT AND GET SOME LAPS AND TALK WITH CASSIE ANDOR CHICO AND THEY CAN LOOK AT YOUR CAR TO CLARIFY

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE

THEY WILL WELCOME YOU TOO

WELCOME FROM THE DINSMORE TEAM ;)

HOPE YOU CAN GET IT FAST ENOUGH TO SPIN OUT LIKE WE ALL DO

TAKE IT TO THE EGDE AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET IT BACK B)

Archived