Texas Thunder on dirt

thumper

I have been waiting for official results but I guess there is none.This post is for the Texas Thunder racers at CC Motor Speedway who might be intrested so Nick,keep your lightining bolts and moving van parked please. There were 45 minis at Gator last weekend fron Tx,La,Ak,and Ok.There were 2 front wheel drive and 4 rear engined VWs all the rest were Fords,most were called Mini Late Models.There were 5 heat races with 9 cars each to set the line up for the qualifiers.There were 4 qualifiers with 11 cars each,12 in one,with the top 3 transfering to Sats main.The other 12 cars were from the remaining 33 cars running qualifiers on Sat,taking 4 cars from 3 races.Fridays qualifiers drew for position and Sats qualifiers started by finish.The non-qualifiers ran a 20 lap feature for a regular purse which pays 300 to win. I was lucky in the heat race draw and got a pole start for my heat.I finished 2nd so I started outside pole for the qualifier.I fell back to 5th on a caution but managed to get back to 2nd on the last lap (15 lap race )I drew a 2 and got a outside pole start for the 50 lapper.I ran 2nd for about 8 laps,then slipped back to batteling for 10th.Found a rithim that was working and was racing the car I battled with in the qualifier when yellow came out on lap 31.Then mass confusion set in and it took 20 minutes to get a lineup.All but 5 cars were lapped.For some reason they started me last with all the lap cars in front of me.The car I was racing was way ahead of me at that point.I started to quit but decided I worked hard to get here and continued.I passed a few cars,even the lap cars were really fast.I really enjoyed racing 3 deep or more with really fast cars and good drivers.When someone would slip.someone else would adjust for that.The track was dry slick so you could not hammer the throttle.Reminded me of Modified racing.They do not even have a move over flag so you race every car your around.In the end,the wedge bodied air cooled methanol burning VW won again,in a class of his own.I finished 5th but was credited with a 14th place finish,1 lap down.I protested the results but was told the lap counters were overworked.2 girls counting 25 cars.The car I was racing finished 4th.I believe I could have made 3rd.Still had a good time but next year I will be at CC instead.Cant beat the referee. Point is,the Texas Thunder cars are as good as any 4 cyl race cars even on dirt.If I37 was to make a Thunder Car class our cars could race both. G.B.

gb, it was good to see you again. you had that water-cooled vdub of yours honkin. and you are right, two scorers couldn't keep up with all the lapped cars.

the car ran good all weekend, and the son also has a lot of laps around that place in a full blown modified.

see ya next year, you can teach me how to get around an asphalt oval...... bill stipe

Great race G.B.,you have got guts to run with those cars at Willis(ALOT OF METHANOL BURNING RACE CARS THERE),your scirocco was incredibly fast and you drove great,I am very proud to have seen Brian Stipe win that race,and win it in a air cooled volkswagen powered rocket.His father Bill Stipe and I have been friends for a few years and I watched them build that car,and can tell you that they are a fantastic team and the best aircooled vw builders and racers in the south,I am sorry but with all the excitment, I didnt get to see where you finished,how did you do????

GB glad to see you had fun racing in that big race. I see a VW won! Todd, you wana race on dirt? I am sure the neon could dabble in the dirt. I only got a few dirt track races under my belt and none in a FWD so it would be interesting!

NEON WILL

Archived