Racing in Corpus

Jason

I was reading an article about the Labonte brothers and they mention a 1/2 mile dirt track that used to be at Cuddihy Field. Anyone know anything about it? What days did they run, etc.

Besides Corpus Christi Motor Speedway, Saratoga Speedway, Riverside Speedway, Cabanis Field, and the Cuddihy Field track are there any others down here?

Jason, I remember a dirt track in corpus I think it was called southmost speedway. It was located just south of saratoga speedway. I was there one night and it was crazy. It was in a corn field so it was rough. They were all street cars and trucks and I think a truck flipped over on its side. The results were even posted in the news paper. Just ask some of those corpus dirt racers, I bet they could tell you more about it.

Monkeyboy,

You can add to your list;

Coastal City Speedway, a 1/2 mile dirt oval that ran from 1946 to 1953. Also known as Calallen Speedway.

Ocean Drive Speedway, a dirt oval , only ran 1933.

Corpus Christi Speedway a 1/5 mile Midget track in 1939.

Click this link, and you can see the remains of Cuddihy speedway.

Cuddihy

Look at the dark blotch to the right center of the picture, and you can see the outline of Cuddihy Speedway immediately above it. This is on the East side of Cuddihy Field Property. Immediately west of the speedway is the remains of a 1/8 mile dragstrip. It runs north-south.

The oval was actually about 3/8ths mile, and ran from 1969 to 1975, and the dragstrip ran from 1969 to 1977. at one time, Cuddihy was known as Corpus Christi Raceway.

Monkeyboy,

You can add to your list;

Coastal City Speedway, a 1/2 mile dirt oval that ran from 1946 to 1953. Also known as Calallen Speedway.

Ocean Drive Speedway, a dirt oval , only ran 1933.

Corpus Christi Speedway a 1/5 mile Midget track in 1939.

Jason,

TxTom and I both cut our racing teeth at Calallen Speedway in 1950. In those days men were men and we drove without helmets and seat belts had yet to be invented. And the fuel pump was just exactly that. A hand pump that was just outside the left side of the car.

Tom, do you happen to recall the number of main events I won that summer? I doubt it because when you did that double flip down the front straight you landed on your head and you ain't been right since.

Nick Holt

Tom, do you happen to recall the number of main events I won that summer? I doubt it because when you did that double flip down the front straight you landed on your head and you ain't been right since.

Yeah, Nick, That one screwed me all up. I developed all kinds of personality disorders, especially schizophrenia.

But we are much better now.......

Plus I can tell by your accent you werent in Texas in 1950...

Think he has an accent now? You shoulda seen Nick in '42 when he was in his late 20's.... Didn't even have any grey hair, but he always talked about having problems with his CAH. He drove a 1931 Duesenberg Victoria, and had trouble finding places to PAK that big boat.

Where was Calallen Speedway? I live in Calallen, it would be neat to know where it used to be. I drive by Cuddihy every day on the way to work, you can still see part of the track. I always wondered who all raced there. Did AJ Foyt ever race there?

NEON WILL

Neon,

I do not have any reference as to the specific location of that track. I have a book called

"The History of America's Speedways,"

written by Alan Brown. Same guy who does the Speedway Directories.

Some entries in his book have exact locations listed; this one does not.

I would think some of the older Corpus racers might have an idea about the location; Maybe one of the Rollins, Mikulencaks, or Flanagans. Maybe Johnny White heard about it from his dad?

Don't know how he was before obviously cause my granparents weren't born then. lol I do know one thing the man ain't right. He was born with that white hair! :o:D

Brad

Archived