The Texas Mile

Racetrack14

How many race fans in South Texas know about the Texas Mile. This is a national land speed racing event that will be held next Saturday and Sunday (Oct 22 & 23) on a 1.5 mile runway at the Goliad Industrial Air Park. There should be some heavy hitters there next week since the Bonneville World Finals were cancelled do to excessive rain on the salt flats. There are classes you can enter if you just want to see how fast your car or motorcycle will run in the mile. I will be running my Hayabusa in the 180 MPH class. A new challenge for an old circle track racer. The record for a motorcycle at the Texas Mile is 251 MPH set by a turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa built by Rich Yancy, a machinist that works for Dale Earnhart Inc. The overall record so far is 257 MPH set by a Lakester. Should be an interesting show this weekend with lots of fast cars and motorcycles, come on out and support the Texas Mile. Check out the web sites.

http://www.texasmile.com/

http://www.amaprostar.com/press_releases/i.../newrecord1.asp

Racetrack14

Not enough shutdown room. At the flats the time I went they had a 5 mile and a 7 mile track,and I saw the brakes go out on a Superbird at over 220mph,but there you had room to scrub it off eventually,and to hear some bikes break traction at 200 plus makes you pucker.

You have a 1/2 mile to stop to make the return road and another 1/4 mile overrun which is still paved but rough then it funnels into a 1/4 mile of dirt road which ends at the highway. A half mile runs out in a hurry at 200 plus.

Yes, rear wheel spin on the salt flats can be a problem. They fill the swing arms with lead shot and bolt on extra lead for balast to get traction with an easy 500 plus HP coming out of a turbo Hayabusa. Tires don't last long either. A big shot of NOS has a tendency to bring on rear wheel spin at any speed.

Racetrack14

Actually, you have 1/2 mile of paved shut down, ¼ mile of gravel runoff, then over ½ mile of freshly bulldozed land to stop before you reach the public road. The County has gone in and made many improvements to the Airport and the Texas Mile is safer than ever. The lakester that established the 257 record had plenty of room to shut down, as did the motorcycle that set the 251 record. It should be a great event this year. Since the Bonneville event was cancelled some heavy hitters are coming claiming that they are going to break the 257 record.

Should be an interesting weekend. My buddy didn't get the T.A. done, so their taking the Z06. He just took 1st in one of the class in the road race in Ft. Stockton. He said the new additions to the car make it run much better. He figure he was 5 MPH slow last year. He seems pretty excited...

There were a few bikes over 200, with the fastest at 215. I believe the fastest car was a Viper at 187. I believe some of the landspeed vehicles did not reach their potential.

Correction - there was a lakester that went 197. This was the first event for that car and should be well over 200 with the NASCAR SB2 engine in the back.

I got my first run in at the Texas Mile and had a blast. Saturday was huge with cars and bikes lined up all the way down the 3/4 mile pit area. Something for every racing fan. Several land Speed cars like old Studebaker Hawks, Blown 54-55 Buick, lamborgini, old muscle cars, porches, oodles of corvettes, rail motorcycles, dragster and a lakester.

So many racers that I could only get 5 runs in on Saturday. The goal for Saturday was to get as close to 180 MPH as possible to place in my class. Ran a 180.544, 180.865 & 180.914. I made a gear change for Sunday to see how fast this old man could go on the Hayabusa and made it up to 184.156. I only got six runs in Sunday with the delays with timing and communication problems. The Lakester ran off the end of the runway and it took a while to fish him out the weeds. No body got hurt. I needed one more gear change to pull another 500 RPM's through the traps but ran out of time. I think I could run around 187 - 189. This old stock car racer had some fun and learned a lot on my first land speed racing event. I believe the fast time for the event was set by Mad Dawg at 215 MPH on a turbo Hayabusa and that was on Sunday afternoon in the heat with the wind blowing pretty good. My bike was leaning at a pretty steep angle going through the traps on my last run with the crosswind. The next Texas Mile will be sometime in March or April of 2006. It will be hard waiting that long, just like a kid waiting for Christmas. What a blast.

Racetrack14

congrads racetrack 14 on what sounds to me like one great weekend for you guys. bet the the busa feels better now that she got to scream. glad to hear you guys went that fast on your first outing. if i know you with about 6 months of starring at her in the garage and working combos. i got a 10 spot says you hit the traps at 203 an april. wow just thought about it, you will be the only person i know to rub noses with all migthty 200 club. again congrads on a super weekend. you bet i will be there to help in april.

Dad, you have once again impressed me. I can not describe to you how cool it was to be there and watch you run the mile. And mom, I got to give it to you. You have a husband Land speed racing, a daughter drag racing, and a son circle track racing. I don't know how you do it. You just smile and say "dont fall down" before each race. I am proud to be a member of this racing family. Dad, I look forword to seeing you become a member of the 200 mph club soon.

NEON WILL

I am a very lucky man. I have a son who is the new track champion in the Thunder Car class at CC Speedway. I have a daughter (ninesecondjen) in Hawaii that holds the record for the fastest girl on street bike in drag racing. My wife wants to know when I am going to buy that new turbo kit to put the Hayabusa over the 200MPH mark in the Texas Mile. Gee......Life is has been goooooood to this old racer.

Racetrack14

Archived