Terry Barden joins Thunder Hill Raceway

One would think that race car drivers are hard on competition directors if you base it on how often they change at Thunder Hill Raceway.

The truth of the matter is that Thunder Hill employs the adage that, “If you want someone to do a good job and do it right, then select a busy person.”

And so it is that Terry Barden has agreed to serve as Thunder Hill Raceway Competition Director for the 2006 racing season.

Well versed in nearly all aspects of racing, Barden became a race fan in 1963. He started racing in 1974, first in Super Stocks at San Antonio Speedway and then Super Late Models.

After breaking both legs in 1987, he worked as a crewman for a year and then joined San Antonio Speedway as Race Director, where he served for 10 years.

He switched over to ROMCO Super Late Models when Robert Mullens purchased it, and then was picked up as Vice President of Race Operations with the United States Racing Association (USRA) Terry Dickerson bought the ROMCO series earlier this year. He retired from that position in August.

Thunder Hill Raceway Co-owner and General Manager Brian Callaway explained, “I’ve known Terry for 15 years and have always admired his integrity, credibility, and devotion to the racing community.” “The name Terry Barden stands for fairness and everyone will benefit with his serving at Thunder Hill,” Callaway said.

Although there are some exciting changes contemplated for Thunder Hill next year, Barden says he has no plans to make any major changes. “I’ve had a close working relationship with everyone at Thunder Hill for the past several years and I believe that, ’If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,’” he stated, “And I’m really looking forward to next season.”

He related that Jack Sandefur will still be in charge of the technical end, but if anyone wants to talk with him about any other aspect, they are welcome to call him at anytime, at (210)621-4337.

Barden replaces the current Competition Director, Greg Gurley, who announced his resignation to take affect following the 9th Annual Stock Car Spectacular on October 22nd.

Noting that he needs to spend more time with his family, Gurley had planned to get out of racing at the end of last season, but said the challenge of the job was something he couldn’t pass up.

“Being a Competition Director is far more than just a ‘Saturday night job,’” explained Callaway, “And while we certainly appreciate all he has done, we understand his desire for more time at home and will truly miss him.”

Archived